Sponsored by:

GT3 California Emmisions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 03:04 PM
Pat K
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GT3 California Emmisions

I just bought a 2004 GT3 from California. Now I am learning that it is a CA Emmisions car...whatever that means. Can anyone tell me the implications of such? Is it removable? Does the power get robbed? What's the deal? Had I known the CA cars were different, I would not have bought it...
Old 09-12-2003, 03:26 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche cars are 50 state. This means that they also have to meet the most stringent emissions of that state. No, you cannot remove anything.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:15 PM
JeffES
Pro

Pat & V,
CA emissions for most cars is a certification/paperwork issue. In the case of Porsches, "CA Emissions" means that the car meets the standards and that the certification process meets the criteria of the CARB.
This is a fairly lengthy and not inexpensive process, so often one will see an additional charge for "CA Emissions".
Hope this helps,
J
Old 09-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Jeff: I think Viken's point is that current Porsches don't have a "CA Emissions" option as some manufacturers do, they have the same emissions specs for all 50 states.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Steve in FL
Jeff: I think Viken's point is that current Porsches don't have a "CA Emissions" option as some manufacturers do, they have the same emissions specs for all 50 states.
Exactly. However, I appreciate Jeff's response as I didn't think of it myself. There is a lot of red tape an auto manufacturer has to go through to get CARB certification even if the car meets or exceeds the emissions standards of California.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:27 PM
JeffES
Pro

Viken,
Do Porsche Monroney's in CA show a line "CA Emissions"?
TIA,
J
Old 09-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by JeffES
Do Porsche Monroney's in CA show a line "CA Emissions"?
No, I have not seen any such mention on the Porsche sticker since the cars became 50-state legal. In contrast, Audi's stickers do have such a line item (0LM California Emissions Requirements) and a $150 charge.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:49 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3 Ca Emissions

I own a 2001 M5 that is registered in WA, but which spends 6 mos. each year in CA. The CA dealer who services the car in CA told me I needed a special service on part of the emissions control system, mandated by and paid for by BMW. I called my WA dealer, and after doing some research, he said that was a CA specific service bulletin, just for CA vehicles. Since my car was registered in WA, I opted against having the work done.
Doesn't that suggest that in practice, there are some differences between CA and non-CA emissions systems?
Personally, I think this issue, as it relates to GT3s, needs some more study.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:12 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Default Re: GT3 Ca Emissions

Originally posted by Johninrsf
I own a 2001 M5 that is registered in WA, but which spends 6 mos. each year in CA. The CA dealer who services the car in CA told me I needed a special service on part of the emissions control system, mandated by and paid for by BMW. I called my WA dealer, and after doing some research, he said that was a CA specific service bulletin, just for CA vehicles. Since my car was registered in WA, I opted against having the work done.
Doesn't that suggest that in practice, there are some differences between CA and non-CA emissions systems?
Personally, I think this issue, as it relates to GT3s, needs some more study.
John,

If a car is 50 state, which many imports are, then it's 50 state.

do you pay the dmv fee for CA? or do you keep the M5 on WA plates?

a 50 state car is just that. includes all 50 states. Porsche is a 50 state manufac.

ON another point.....BMW was willing to pay for the update and " you opted" against them doing the work"??????

why?
Old 09-13-2003, 04:09 PM
JeffES
Pro

John & Phil,
Please note that in the case of the 5, (and my Ford Escape as well), there are different maintenance requirements for CA/NE vs "ROC" (rest of country). The vehicles are absolutely identical.
In the case of the BMW, since service is "paid for", the dealers are responsible for handling the service. In the case of my Escape, there is a "California" version of the maintenance booklet.
Some makers still do have CA versions of their vehicles, but that number is falling quickly.
It' s a bit of a mess, and there is a great deal of infighting between the EPA and CARB - one of my neighbors is an atty for the EPA and is "on CARB's case" constantly.
Anyway - Viken is correct. There is no programming or mechanical difference in a "49" state Porsche or a "CA" Porsche. Period.
J
Old 09-14-2003, 02:51 AM
ruey220
Addict
Rennlist Member

i was told by a friend who is a car broker trading cars through different states that cars which are 50 state are all the same, and that the ones in California only charge that fee because its the only state that requires those certain things. If the car is not meant to be sold in CA, it will not have the part that will help it pass California requirements. (i.e. putting illegal headers in the car even though it passes pipe test is technically still not street legal by california emissions visual test)

in other words, all US cars meant to be sold in all states including CA get the parts California needs to pass their strict smog rules so that manufacturing process doesn't ask for special parts added for cars sold only to CA, and only California residents are punished for it by being charged the CA emissions fee. Even though the same car sold in Nevada will have the same parts, someone from Nevada doesn't need to pay for it.

It just wouldn't make any sense for a car manufacturer to single out cars that need to have California spec emissions and add the parts to them only when needed as it would cost them at times more than the $500 or whatever fee they charge. Instead it becomes a standard part to all the cars made for the US. And this is more of a tax than an additional part or service fee.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:00 AM
ruey220
Addict
Rennlist Member

on a side note, i was told that some people buy wrecked salvaged cars to drive non street legal GT3's or GT3r's here in the US even though they were not approved by DOT or California smog.

The person buys a salvaged 996 lets say for $5-10k, changes the vin on the body, registers it as a 996 but infact it is a real GT3 that they can enjoy on the street with a semi-legal registration. It probably is a big infraction against the law, but who is to say you can't do it if nobody knows. For all the inspector cares it is a modified 996.

Has anyone ever met someone who did this or has someone actually done this on Rennlist?
Old 09-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Phil,
The M5 is registered in WA State.
I decided against the work, thinking that it could reduce power.
When I sell the car (which I am going to in the near future, 9000 miles, silver/black), the buyer can still have BMW do the service at BMW's expense, if he/she chooses.
Everything I've seen posted here makes perfect sense, but I can't quite square it with my experience. I'm going to call the CA dealer and see if I can get a few more facts.

Quick Reply: GT3 California Emmisions