Sponsored by:

GT2 Vs GT3 Vs 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 01:20 PM
LSM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Hamann7
I dunno... the GT2 is an absolutely amazing vehicle. But I think my 996TT is just as good or better, but in a different way.

From what I can gather (since I never got to drive Dean's car but rode in it) , the GT2 seems to have more road 'feel' and is more nimble than the Turbo.

Although my 996TT has a more 'numbed' steering feel than a RWD Porsche, it makes up for it in pure excitement when the boost comes on. With my H&R suspension, swaybars, and PZero Corsas, it's got grip, grip, and more grip. As Tiff Needell once pointed out in Top Gear, the 996 Turbo is less about handling than it is about pure grip. And that's the way it goes around corners, while the GT2 kinda finesses around the corner.

That being said, with my power/weight, I believe that my car would smoke a GT2 under almost any circumstance. Also the feeling of putting over 600 horse to the ground is pretty awesome, and makes up for any lack of road feel.

FYI, even after Andial, I think Watt is still trying to find the right suspension setting for the GT2 for his type of use... it does come a little too twitchy from the factory.

I own a TT myself and I understand your point. I guarantee you would smoke a stock GT2, that goes without saying. The question is not if a modded TT will beat a stock GT2. I mean if you did the same upgrades to a GT2, its lighter weight would/should give it the win under any circumstance. Upgrade the GT2, which is just as easy as upgrading the Turbo, to 600hp and the lighter weight would win out. Throw in an upgrade suspension as you have on your turbo, and the result would not be close. The only potential problem I could see with a 600hp GT2 would be grip, but again, I have 0 experience with the GT2 so I will leave that question to those with experience.

-Lou
Old 09-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

hocus pocus dominocus,
tyson!!!!

you boys are bench racing again!!!!! no,no,no!!!!
mama no likee bench racing. let's get the times on stunt and las flores can compare

tyson,
you dont need to defend your purchase silly as it was. any fool wouldv'e waited until wilbur installed the pink mink headliner and the gold prada guards. no chicks for you!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Ad Nauseum, I'll be up for a comparo.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:57 PM
LSM
Racer

Come on, I get the "ad nauseum" I thought this was a little different .

-Lou
Old 09-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Lou, just being sarcastic, again.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Deanger
Racer

Let me put it this way -- I'd rather have a GT2 even if it loses every timed test to a super-modded TT. Capice?
Old 09-03-2003, 04:14 PM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by Oak
Lou, just being sarcastic, again.

I know, I'm totally kidding.

-Lou
Old 09-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Dean, Id rather have a 959 than a GT2 or TT even though if it loses to a time tested TT or GT2.

Capice?
Old 09-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Deanger
Racer

CGT?
Old 09-03-2003, 04:21 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Well.....maybe. I think there will be too many. I'd wait to see what happens.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:59 PM
Hamann7
User

Lou, a GT2 with 600hp to the WHEELS (not flywheel) would have a very difficult time getting the power to the ground. It would also be a very scary car to drive fast, especially coming out of corners. The Gemballa GTR750 (built by TTP) is the closest thing to this kind of setup and it is very fast and dangerous, although interestingly enough it is based on a GT3, not GT2 or Turbo.

Well, anyone who thinks they can school me in a GT2, modded Turbo or otherwise is more than welcome to come to the shootout with CJV in Sacramento or compare in the canyons here in Malibu.

Dean, I love the GT2 also. I even thought of getting one because of Watt's influence. But before you are totally convinced, you need to experience what over 700hp and R compounds feel like!!!

Hey watt, you won't think the ching blingmobile (half Porsche/half Lincoln) is so silly when you see those 22" spinners fly right past your GT2 like it was standing still...
Old 09-03-2003, 08:07 PM
aka 951
Pro

I thought the AWD system in the 996s wasn't stout enough for 500+whp? Or is that just in the case of continuous racing?

If I had the $, I too would go for the GT2 with its factory warranty, dealer serviceability and high 11 second 1/4 mile time. I have yet to hear of a modified 996 TT noticeably improving on the stock GT2 acceleration times, including CJV's ride.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:46 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts
Default GT2 vs turbo magazine comparo

GT Purely Porsche Magazine did a real world comparison test of a tuned 996tt and GT2 (May 2003, issue 18). It's a very interesting read. The 996tt had a 550 hp conversion with the adjustable Bilstein suspension and the GT2 had a sport exhaust good for 500hp. Some highlights/comments are:

Speaking of the 996TT .....

"It lacks the rawness of the GT2, but could never be accused of being numb. Chasing the turbo over country roads the GT2 highlights just how good the suspension really is. Where the GT2 would crash and skitter from kerb to camber; the turbo sails on unperturbed into the distance, easily laying down the power out of damp corners where the rigid GT2 snaps and slithers"

"you really can do what you will with it without fear of reprisals. Unlike the uncompromising GT2, which is happy to throw itself sideways at any speed. Any speed at all - it doesn't discriminate"

"If you're of the opinion that a Porsche should be an event, the GT2 keeps you wired and demands absolute concentration 199 percent of the time. Trouble is, if you lapse - even momentarily - the GT2 will discard you into the scenery and things may become more eventful than you planned. The car was set up for an accomplished driver, and to be honest you'd need to be quite tasty to pinch the rewards and not get caught out. The turbo on the other hand contrived to flatter. Were talking about genocide here, not murder. Brake, point, squirt: it's that simple. The turbo just grips and goes. It's all too easy"

"suppose I'd better wait for Holtam to catch up"

speaking about the GT2.......

The first time it happens I'm subjected to a jolting charge of fear and adrenaline, the second time it happens I feel a bubble of anger and incomprehension, the third time leaves me genuinely scared. If this car snaps sideways one more time I'm getting out and walking and they can stuff their photo shoot"

"Suddenly we hit a dry(ish) straight and I find the fortitude to apply full throttle. Oh my god...it feels like one of those funny car dragsters slingshotting me along the asphalt with it's front wheels hanging in the air"

"having spent a stint in the 550 hp turbo, I am amazed at the difference in personalities of these two cars. The turbo was super quick, yet with 4wd and the security of PSM, you felt you could use the performance with a gusto approaching impunity. The taut, edgy and utterly uncompromising GT2 is a different animal altogether. At one point we're doing 50 in third on a steady throttle and the roads have dried. All of a sudden he car breaks traction at the rear mid bend. We both look at each other disbelievingly. It's kind of funny, but at the same time, not funny at all"

"After building into a rhythm and getting some heat into the tires, the GT2 starts to come together. When it does hook up it is capable of massive cornering forces and truly delicious levels of feedback and involvement. For the talented and committed driver, this GT2 will offer huge rewards"

"But don't ever think you can relax; on one clear straight, staffer Bruce gives the turbo full throttle and I follow. The car requires constant correction to keep it facing the right way and even at the top of 3rd gear a depression in the road caused rapid wheel spin, an armfull of corrective lock and an instant decision to slow down. In terms of outright straightline performance there is little or nothing to chose. In the real world the turbo will be much quicker 95 per cent of the time. It is more practical and much more useable"

"and yet...the GT2 makes you feel so much more alive, so much more involved with the process of driving - an increasingly rare treat. For the sole reason that the GT2 delivers a bigger thrill on even the most mundane of journeys, I'd have to plump for the red car (GT2)"
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 09-04-2003, 12:48 AM
ElDiablo Viper
AutoX

Thanks again for your feedback. I have never driven a Porsche so I guess that I would need to test drive AWD and RWD to see what I like most. When I first got the Viper I thought that I would not be able to go strait with so much TQ but now it is easy for me to drive it fast. I'm just wondering why the value of GT2 dropped like a rock? 996TT is holding up a lot better.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Fozzy
Instructor

Prices are still reasonably firm in the UK, although the dealers are sitting on a few unsold GT2 with very low mileages. Both GT2s and TTs seem to be slipping a bit, but isn't that always going to be the case when the economy's so unsure?

And I wondered when we were going to get into the usual dick size comparisons. You feel you need to improve on what nature gave you (err... car and/or *****), then go for 'modifications'. Each to their own. But modding either the TT or the GT2 won't make a difference to the fundamental personalities and temperament of the car. Unless you start disconnecting the drive to the front wheels in the TT, which I assume is probably not the sort of modification we're talking about here.

John D's mag quote makes the point about the visceral qualities of each car, and I agree with the various usual comments - the TT is forgiving, the GT2 is demanding etc etc. But like every single article of this type, it misses out on the single most important point about a GT2. You learn how to drive the bloody thing. This simply can't be grasped in a road-test. You can climb from any car, and as long as you're a competent and reasonably skilled driver you can immediately drive a TT faster than you've driven pretty much anything else. When I was thinking about a GT2, I was taken out for a test drive by a ex-pro GT3 driver who was a salesman at the showroom. Charging round empty country lanes I have honestly never been so sh*t-scared and exhilarated in my life - when he'd finished his little demonstration, he had a huge grin on his face and the next 2 comments said it all - 'I just love taking this car out.' And 'But please don't think you're going to be able to drive one like that yet'.

In the first few weeks of owning the GT2, if it was raining I often sat at traffic lights wheelspinning at 2000 rpm. I would take corners on roads I know like the back of my hand at half the speed I use to drive in the C2. (Much like owning a Viper I would assume ) But guess what? Things have changed after living with the car for 12 months, you know its quirks, and I personally wouldn't swap it for anything. And you continue to learn as long as you drive it.

Last edited by Fozzy; 09-04-2003 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: GT2 Vs GT3 Vs 996TT