Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot Sport (GT3) vs. the Pilot Sport Cup (M3 CSL)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 10:36 AM
twisted
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Sport (GT3) vs. the Pilot Sport Cup (M3 CSL)

Comparison article with the Pilot Sport (GT3) vs. the Pilot Sport Cup. PSCs ran 4.3% faster lap times, .09g better skid pad, 6% faster slalom, and 3.2' shorter braking from 50.

Pilot Sport/Cup Review by the TireRack

RoadFly Post
Old 08-27-2003, 12:53 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Pilot Sport (GT3) vs. the Pilot Sport Cup (M3 CSL)

Originally posted by twisted
Comparison article with the Pilot Sport (GT3) vs. the Pilot Sport Cup. PSCs ran 4.3% faster lap times, .09g better skid pad, 6% faster slalom, and 3.2' shorter braking from 50.
The Pilot Sport in this test is NOT the same tire as installed on the new GT3. That one is the new generation Pilot Sport 2 aka PS2 and it is far superior to the old Pilot Sport.

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Furthermore, a given tire which performs good on a specific car doesn't necessarily mean it will do the same on another. Cars are very different from each other as their weights, weight distributions, engineering and suspension geometries are various.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:21 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

When the PS and PS2s are spoken about here on these boards, are we talking about a "better" tire then the S03, or a "comparible" tire?
Old 08-27-2003, 01:25 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by BrendanCampion
When the PS and PS2s are spoken about here on these boards, are we talking about a "better" tire then the S03, or a "comparible" tire?
It all depends on what you call best or better. Some people think a good tire should be quiet. Others want a comfortable tire. Normally, these characteristics do not go very well with "maximum performance" summer tires if in fact you expect maximum performance.

To me, the new Pilot Sport PS2 appears to be the best performing street tire this side of a DOT-legal R-compound tire. The older Pilot Sport is nothing special neither is the S-03.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:21 PM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default PS2 v. PS Cup

The Michelin PS2 is an excellent tire in terms of handling on the GT3. Subjectively, the grip feels excellent and seems superior to other non-R compound tires in my opinion(based on both street and track use). This opinion is predicated on its use with no special alignment on the car. Simply as delivered.... Also, this past weekend, I back to back tested the PS2 tire vs. the PS Cup tire on the GT3. The Cup tires were from a 964 cup car with significantly more camber than the GT3 and this alignment had been worn into the tires since they had 20-25 heat cycles in them. The rear was also only a 285 on a 10 inch rim and not the proper 295 size on an 11 inch rim.The rears were also worn to the wear bars. After optimizing pressures for both sets of tires, the used Cup tires were consistently 2% faster than the PS2 tires. Given that the Cup tires were a size too small for the rear and their wear history, I thought that the 2% difference was remarkable. Also, the standard PS2 tire provided excellent handling and grip, but without alignment changes for the track, the tire was rolling onto the shoulder. I would not think it unreasonable to expect a 3-4% improvement in lap times between the PS2 tire and Cup tire at Lime Rock assuming both tires were fresh or had equal wear history.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:52 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Comfort = QUIET!

When I purchased my 99 C2 it had 17k miles and Pirelli tires that were extremely loud. I swapped them out for Michelins but now at 30k they seem to be just as noisy as the Pirellis were.

My 01 C4 came with Conti's and at 8k and one winter of storage (mostly) they were so loud it was unbelieveable. The C4 now has 12k and is shod with "quiet" Bridgestone RE730s with which I am very pleased.

Three HOT laps with a professional driver at the wheel at Pacific Raceways on the 3rd of July indicated that the RE730s certainly have sufficient traction for my purposes. At the end you could smell the brake pads for a country mile but I am quite sure that they are now quite well seated.

Another aspect of comfort for me is that I do not run the rears at 44psi but at 36.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:06 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

The Discount Tire representative here in San Diego that is the chosen shop for the PCA in this area explained that an So-3 was the "utmost" in performance. I know this can be an opinion based on fact or non-fact, but I wanted to do more research, and I saw this thread here.

While the PS2 would be something of a choice, I have always had qualms about Michelin's inherent quality of construction.

Possibly, with San Diego's weather pattern, I could get away with a nice hard R-compound Kumho or other. I go through 2-3 sets of rears with every front with 0-track use so far, and moderately agressive street driving, so I am always, it seems, replacing tires.

The reviews on tirerack are in a range between totally unhelpful, and unbelieveably biased, with an occasional exception.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by BrendanCampion
The Discount Tire representative here in San Diego that is the chosen shop for the PCA in this area explained that an So-3 was the "utmost" in performance. I know this can be an opinion based on fact or non-fact, but I wanted to do more research, and I saw this thread here.
Indeed, a non-factual opinion at best. The S-03 doesn't even fit within the top 5 best "maximum" performance summer street tires I would use on a P-car.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:27 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Originally posted by Viken
Indeed, a non-factual opinion at best. The S-03 doesn't even fit within the top 5 best "maximum" performance summer street tires I would use on a P-car.
I've had Pirelli Pzeros yellow (3 or 4 sets), Contis Sport Contact (original), Michelin Sport Cup (the old ones MXX3) and SO3s. I currently have the SO3s on the car. In my opinion, the SO3 is by far the best street tie that I have had. It's traction is second to none, even though at first, coming out of a Pirelli you have to get used to a higher slip angle (e.g. on ramps at illegal speeds ). On the rain, they are fantastic.

The Pirellis were good also but indeed very noisy and apart from the fact that they cupped (all sets), I always felt like they take 2 sets in a turn, first at turn in, then when they are deep in the turn. It took me some getting used to and while discussing it with PDE pros they agreed with me.

For the track, I use the MSC which are, in my opinion, really really good.

Hope this helps
JM
Old 08-28-2003, 03:47 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

I spent a few moments at the tire rack site, and other rating sites. Again, we are relying on people who are driving thier pontiacs at the edcge of adhesion, and thing the GTIIs are just "dabomb" but in reading some BFG T/A KD reviews, it seems like a very good all-out dry grip alternative. It mists here in San Diego when it does rain, so I am not SUPER concerned about wet traction.

Though it was suprising to me to find the S-03 tired CHEAPER in the 18" sizes I need compared to the KD models. I was quite dissapointed in the soft sidewalls and squeeling of the Kumho 712s that cam with a set of wheels previously on the car, and the 928 guys simply LOVE the 712s. I think maybe I drive a bit harder than most 928 drivers.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:44 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Jean-Marc
I've had Pirelli Pzeros yellow (3 or 4 sets), Contis Sport Contact (original), Michelin Sport Cup (the old ones MXX3) and SO3s. I currently have the SO3s on the car. In my opinion, the SO3 is by far the best street tie that I have had. It's traction is second to none, even though at first, coming out of a Pirelli you have to get used to a higher slip angle (e.g. on ramps at illegal speeds ). On the rain, they are fantastic.

JM
I agree with Jean-Marc too.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:21 PM
LSM
Racer

Can't say much about the new PS2 tires as I have zero experience with them. I can tell you that the M3CSL beat the GT3 around the nurburgring. I can tell you though, the cards were stacked. BMW guaranteed a time of under 8 to do the oval, they could not get to that time so they fitted the car with the sport cups and bingo under 8. There is no doubt a GT3 with sport cups would trounce the M3CSL. Anyway, that was not my point, my point was on how much time can be shaved with better tires.

-Lou

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport (GT3) vs. the Pilot Sport Cup (M3 CSL)