Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far to go upgrading suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 03:43 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Has anyone gone the extra mile and installed the Factory GT3 RS control Arms, subframes, etc etc, I believe all the pick up points are different and vastly improves the car's handling? I'm currently on JRZ RS Pro set-up, all monoball connections, a proper set-up, but have recently been tickled by the concept of setting it up using the Factory RS geometry. Any thoughts on this? TIA...
Old 02-03-2016, 05:15 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
Has anyone gone the extra mile and installed the Factory GT3 RS control Arms, subframes, etc etc, I believe all the pick up points are different and vastly improves the car's handling? I'm currently on JRZ RS Pro set-up, all monoball connections, a proper set-up, but have recently been tickled by the concept of setting it up using the Factory RS geometry. Any thoughts on this? TIA...
This used to have pictures of everything in it and much more detail. IDK why it was all edited last year. Was on a red 996 GT3.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...uspension.html
Old 02-03-2016, 05:25 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

rbahr on here went through with it. This has some of it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...n-der-gt3.html
Old 02-03-2016, 06:49 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Superb! Thanks for these links guys. This really helps!

I had a chance to buy (Schmidt's) the red GT3 discussed in the first link, a few years ago. Came close, but the no AC thing eventually changed my mind. I never drove the car, but Jeff described it as "sublime" ... the way the car should be.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:58 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine is factory a/c delete too
Old 02-03-2016, 10:05 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

The AC is a must here in So Cal. I use it frequently.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:14 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Superb! Thanks for these links guys. This really helps!

I had a chance to buy (Schmidt's) the red GT3 discussed in the first link, a few years ago. Came close, but the no AC thing eventually changed my mind. I never drove the car, but Jeff described it as "sublime" ... the way the car should be.
I considered that car for quite some time too!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 09:04 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Didn't realise the RS had different subframes and pick up points? Or are you referring to the RS race car? Seems like a lot of effort and expense to go to and I personally would never attempt it but curious to know more about potential handling benefits? Mine is monoballed everywhere with two piece LCAs and race dampers and I wouldn't want it any other way!

Can someone clarify, did the GT3 come with split LCAs front and rear as standard, or just the front, or none at all? As far as I can tell I have them front and rear but I received a set of one piece arms with the car from the PO and I'm not sure where they belong on the car. I remember reading something about Clubsport euro models getting adjustable LCAs but I don't know the exact details. It'd be nice to know what the standard configuration is if one day I decide to put it all back to stock.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:58 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by spiller
Didn't realise the RS had different subframes and pick up points? Or are you referring to the RS race car? Seems like a lot of effort and expense to go to and I personally would never attempt it but curious to know more about potential handling benefits? Mine is monoballed everywhere with two piece LCAs and race dampers and I wouldn't want it any other way!

Can someone clarify, did the GT3 come with split LCAs front and rear as standard, or just the front, or none at all? As far as I can tell I have them front and rear but I received a set of one piece arms with the car from the PO and I'm not sure where they belong on the car. I remember reading something about Clubsport euro models getting adjustable LCAs but I don't know the exact details. It'd be nice to know what the standard configuration is if one day I decide to put it all back to stock.

996 cars came with 1 piece rear arms. 997 cars came with 2 piece rears.

All of these little tweaks in geometry on the RS parts help geometry but now much do they improve the car???...idk.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:34 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

My understanding related to the 996 RS is that it was homologated do to allow for the RSR, so the suspension geometry was quite different to the standard GT3. I am no expert on this matter, but am told that the car goes from being a very capable car to a weapon. Now I'm sure the work many of us have done by upgrading the springs and dampers, and going with monoball bits brings the car closer to the RS, but there are many different components, that are still available from the factory that take it to true RS spec. There is a list of parts somewhere. One of the links provided yesterday has some pics of the work required, which looks quite extensive.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:33 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My 04 track car has the same 996 GT3 RS street car suspension uprights (and cup control arms and toe links) as the car described in the earlier thread by Schmidtwerk. Both were built by the same guy -- Jeff Gamroth, using the same parts. It also has the Heigo cage (with removable front section), 600/800 springs and Moton Clubsport shocks. To my knowledge, the subframe is original, though. The car is very capable and handles beautifully. But I have little to compare it with because I've never driven stock one (hard) on the track. Christallon, I also considered buying that car from Schmidtwerk when it came up for sale, but the lack of AC (which only weighs about 30-35 lb. I'm told) scared me away as well. Having AC works great on track cool down laps to cool the driver down.

BTW, I also have a 996 GT3 RS race car, which has a completely different setup. And no AC!
Old 02-05-2016, 12:13 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

I know Jeff and Earl at Rothsport, great guys!!! Interesting that the subframe may not have been changed out. I was under the impression that the RS was different, but it may have been implied and it's possible I mis understood. In any case, it's great to hear there are other cars out there that have gone this route. I must admit that the set up on my car: 600/800 lb springs and JRZ's along with the monoball works really made a huge difference over the stock GT3's I've owned over the years. They are light years apart in terms of being confidence inspiring, consistent and downright focused when pushed. I'm not sure if going the extra distance will be worth it, but I'm considering the option and welcome further input.

Rob, is your race car that Mark 1 car that was for sale last year by chance? Thanks for your input.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:33 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Chris,

If you (or anyone here) is interested in learning more about the RS uprights, subrames, etc., it might be best to call Jeff at Rothsport and talk to him about it. The "track" 04 I now have was originally built by Jeff Gamroth for Mark (KMR RSR 001) who actually posted to the first page of this thread two years ago. Perhaps he could also tell you what he recalls.

The race car I have was not for sale recently. It is an 01 996 GT3 RS that I obsessively restored over the past five years. Below is a picture of it at Rennsport in September.
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2016, 03:28 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Ok,

Having spent lots of $$$$ jumping in with both feet including RS/RSR parts (subframes, uprights, etc) - would I do it again - YES...

The simple answer to your update questions is drum roll please :-)

NONE of the above - get a GOOD professional quality data acquisition system - you want brakes, individual wheel speed, the whole ball o' wax, and learn how to understand the data.

Using these tools you will quickly figure out when and what you need to change, and your driving will quickly improve.

Rob, I have serious car envy, absolutely great! How was Rennsport & have you put any time on it?

Ray
Old 02-05-2016, 04:54 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Rob, Wow! For anyone thinking the 996 GT3 is anything less than beautiful need only see this car. Just, simply amazing. It's Now my screensaver pic. Damn, that's hot! I love the way Jeff set's up his cars and for his clients who understand that, the results are always perfection. Wow!

Ray, thanks for your input. I know you went the extra mile, I read through your thread, and there is obviously a lot of work involved, but the results appear to be worth it.

Quick Reply: How far to go upgrading suspension