Sponsored by:

996 GT3RS suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:22 AM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 996 GT3RS suspension

I have completed the install of factory 996 GT3RS suspension. The 996 RS version had drastically revised uprights all all corners, different springs, shocks, control arms, ext....all homolagation parts found on the 04 GT3 RSR. It has transformed the car, the car is super low, even at this height the suspension is now in more correct geometry than with the stock stuff at normal ride height. Note the position of the front calipers rotated down towards the bottom. The car is almost perfect with all factory CS parts, A/C delete, and Radio Delete.

Last edited by schmidtwerk; 08-22-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:51 AM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A/c delete?

My GT3RS has both radioCD and A/C as fitted at the factory - I cant imagine driving 450 miles to the ring without radioCD - or driving the ring/Spa/Monza without ac in a helmet with air temperatures at 27/30 degrees!

I even fitted the rear speakers to round out the sound quality!

Dont forget to fit the carbon fibre rear wing - and some decals on the side.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bet that was expensive!

Sure looks good now.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:44 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice. Did you fit the bump steer adjustable toe links from TRG etc. Just thinking of putting them on my car to remove the rubber bushing and get the link horizontal for my ride height.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:59 AM
schmidtwerk
Racer

No I did not get the other toe links, I was thinking about the cup version. Currently it is exact to the RS spec car which sadly were never available here in the US. The car has less bump steer at even the low height compared to the car at near stock height with the stock uprights. The whole job with every part new is a little over $10K, and worth it. I love the NO radio, no A/C, having no air is not only proper true sports cars stuff, but I just dont need it on the northern west coast with the mild climate. If I want these items in a car, I drive my Turbo fluffer.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Carefree
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job, looks awesome!
What track wheels are you running and what size tires?
Damn, that looks good.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:32 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

For now Iam chewing up stock wheels and tires. I need to get several other sets of wheels and start running Hoosiers.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by schmidtwerk
No I did not get the other toe links, I was thinking about the cup version. Currently it is exact to the RS spec car which sadly were never available here in the US. The car has less bump steer at even the low height compared to the car at near stock height with the stock uprights. The whole job with every part new is a little over $10K, and worth it. I love the NO radio, no A/C, having no air is not only proper true sports cars stuff, but I just dont need it on the northern west coast with the mild climate. If I want these items in a car, I drive my Turbo fluffer.
What about engine and tranny internals? Are you trying to build a clone or rather just get the RS suspension?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:35 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my hero
car is fantastic!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:37 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Yes I realise you guys never got the real thing . So in terms of bump steer adjustment with the RS parts, with your ride height have you gone a bit below the ideal for those links? I ask as I had my car at that height for a while and I felt it was better slightly higher. If only because at that height I was forced to run insane camber (about 3.5 rear!).

I can't really get under my car at the moment either, so keen to know whether with a higher ride height than your, my bump steer is better or worse than yours.

Also do you know if the ARB drop links attach to the dampers at the rear or the uprights as per the 997?

(I really should get under my car lol!)
Old 08-16-2008, 02:06 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Yes the car is low as hell! The bump steer of course always lessens with the higher ride height. Even at the current height the bump steer is far less than a mild lowered car with stock stuff. I dont want to build a clone RS, its more that the stock parts on the GT3 are a compromise when lowered......the RS stuff is just bad ***!....gotta have it. In retrospect I should have just imported an RS. The engine is stock, as is the gearbox except the CS clutch. The car is in serious need of gearing however, that is next. The extreme negative camber can be lessened by machining the two piece rear control arm and sucking the bottom of the wheel assembly inward.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:48 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I even fitted the rear speakers to round out the sound quality!
John, are the speaker wires sitting behind the covers or did you have to add wires? My RS is my daily driver and I would love to add rear speakers. Is it simply a matter of plugging in a set or is there more to it?

BTW, my suspension is set to standard factory spec for the street and it's not too low at all.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:40 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Yes the car is low as hell! The bump steer of course always lessens with the higher ride height. Even at the current height the bump steer is far less than a mild lowered car with stock stuff. I dont want to build a clone RS, its more that the stock parts on the GT3 are a compromise when lowered......the RS stuff is just bad ***!....gotta have it. In retrospect I should have just imported an RS. The engine is stock, as is the gearbox except the CS clutch. The car is in serious need of gearing however, that is next. The extreme negative camber can be lessened by machining the two piece rear control arm and sucking the bottom of the wheel assembly inward.
Thanks. Do you recall if the rear ARB droplinks attached to the damper or the upright?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:22 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

I think they mount to the shock, but Iam not sure. I was able to get proper adjustment (barely) on mine at the low ride height.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:32 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
Yes I realise you guys never got the real thing ....
You can get the real thing here inthe US but you just have to be willing to pay for it.
I think there are 3 ro 4 that I have heard of.. Here's one for sale now in VA

http://www.synergyracing.com/sales/index.cfm?cid=16451
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 996 GT3RS suspension