Sponsored by:

EB Werks 2- Piece Rotor - Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 03:06 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default EB Werks 2- Piece Rotor - Review

This post is long overdue. Long story short if you don't wish to read anything else I'm very satisfied with this product. I feel they are a good value for the $$$ esp when considering the weight savings provided by them.

On to the long winded part. I've always been a VERY firm believer in cheap consumables. I run cheap tires that aren't the stickies because they last forever and allow me to spend my money on seat time over anything else. I used the same philosophy when it comes to rotors. The Cayenne Rotors are cheap, disposable and generally work well for our cars as long as weight is not the enemy. After 3 years with my 996 GT3 and taking quite a bit of time to develop myself as a driver I decided this past off season that it was time to develop the performance potential of the car as well. I decided that lighter was better and after finding Enrique's rotors (F1CrazyDriver) I decided to give them a go. Not only is the initial buy-in price very reasonable compared to some of the others on the market, but the weight is just as low as about any of them AND the cost of replacement rings is the cheapest I've seen. Win / Win in my book

The used up Cayenne rotors that came off of the front of my car were 26.4 lbs and the EB Werks brand new rotors that went on were 18.4lbs fully assembled. Does that equate to better performance? Yes a small amount. You're not going to drop .5 seconds from your lap times but when you are like me and to a pretty consistent driving state I can definitely say that the addition of front and rear lightweight rotors has been measurable to about .2-.3 seconds a lap.

Finally - Wear: I've got 9 days on these this season and run Rennlist's most hated pads (DTC 60) which are notoriously hard on rotors and the wear is looking to be as good or better than the Cayenne rotors that I ran last year. I fully intend for these to go the 20 days I have planned this year and well into next year before I need to order replacement rings.

Obligatory pictures:

New Personal Best @ Mid Ohio (club) this spring after rotor install
Old 07-31-2014, 06:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like a good option. Cost?

Curious why they ran the slot to the edge. From what I have read, the slot should stop before the edge of the rotor. But then again, I have no idea why.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,705 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell

Curious why they ran the slot to the edge. From what I have read, the slot should stop before the edge of the rotor. But then again, I have no idea why.
That's how Coleman cuts them. I bought a set of 380mm replacement rings from them earlier this year and they were the same way, slots all the way to the edge. From what I was told by PFC and Giro, the general consensus is that if you run the slots all the way to the end you are introducing a stress riser in that area and it's more prone to cracking. That's why no other rotor manufacturer does that. Not sure why Coleman does.

Last edited by powdrhound; 07-31-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:38 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Andy. Glad you are happy with them, that is most important. I'm crossing my fingers they last you longer then the Cayenne anchors.

Originally Posted by LVDell

Dell,

PM me if you are interested. I give rennlist members special pricing. The slots reaching out all the way, that was my doing. I can do a stoppage on the line so it does not reach the outer part of the ring. For the next gen of rings i'm making i'm changing the slots to my own custom design - but still working on engineering of it to see if their are benefits.

Originally Posted by powdrhound
That's how Coleman cuts them. I bought a set of 380mm replacement rings from them and they were the same way, slots all the way to the edge. Unfortunatelly the particular rotors I got from them only lasted 4 hard track day including one weekend at COTA using PFC08s. They were on a 997GT3. The metallurgy of the rotors from Coleman was so soft the slots wore away in 4 days. Looks like they improved their formula..
Coleman will cut the slots anyway you want as long as you provide them engineering plans. That is very cool with working with them. They have a few options on rotors. Heavy duty casting is the one i usually get for long lasting.They have thinner casting that is for "racing" that nascar uses but they swap out after every race. Unfortunately that does not fit most of us, normal guy's budget.

On my personal car, I also have the 380mm, so far I have 2 private track days that mooty organized, ( drove 8-10 hours) and a normal DE (run groups) day + 7k street miles on mine. Looking great so far I'm also running hte PFC pads for track + street.
Like Fangio told Claes at Monza in' 54 " Less brakes, more accelerator " - joking aside. You could very well be right they changed the material. I asked for maximum cooling / lasting. They have my blue prints in how many air vains I requested etc.

I also contacted the foundry that makes the PFC rotor's but so far I have been very happy with the customer service and people i work with at Coleman. Haven't found a reason to change
Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Dell, retail is $1025 but as Enrique stated he does a little better for Rennlist members. But more impressive is the replacement ring cost vs the price of others.

On the slots. I've always been on the side of that argument that the slots should not extend all the way to the edge of the rotor. However my brother runs Coleman rings on his car with slots that extend all the way to the edge. His last two sets he has run until they have cracked massively ( he is fighting cooking issues) and none of those cracks occurred at the location the slot was cut. That's good enough real world data for me to not worry about it.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:02 AM
entityx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's how Coleman cuts them. I bought a set of 380mm replacement rings from them and they were the same way, slots all the way to the edge. Unfortunatelly the particular rotors I got from them only lasted 4 hard track day including one weekend at COTA using PFC08s. They were on a 997GT3. The metallurgy of the rotors from Coleman was so soft the slots wore away in 4 days. Looks like they improved their formula..
That's how Coleman cuts them. I bought a set of 380mm replacement rings from them earlier this year and they were the same way, slots all the way to the edge. From what I was told by PFC and Giro, the general consensus is that if you run the slots all the way to the end you are introducing a stress riser in that area and it's more prone to cracking. That's why no other rotor manufacturer does that. Not sure why Coleman does.
Any specific reason as to why you changed your original post?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:05 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Can Coleman do any size of the rings? Seems that a popular option for brand like Alcon is to do them in 360mm (by running a 5mm spacer on the caliper). Just curious.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:14 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by cfjan
Can Coleman do any size of the rings? Seems that a popular option for brand like Alcon is to do them in 360mm (by running a 5mm spacer on the caliper). Just curious.
Yes they can. They do 350 and 380 for me.
Just provide blue print.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i ran them too. good stuff.
and i destroy brakes.
now can you make them for the new car......
and make them FAST. i hate waiting.....
and ilike them pre assembled otherwise i wont know what to do with them.......
caliper = 996gt3
350-355mm.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:03 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by entityx
Any specific reason as to why you changed your original post?
Simple. I didn't want it to seem like I was knocking Enrique's product as that's not the case as I have no direct experience with his rotors. I was just sharing my experience with Coleman. That's why I said that their quality must have got better. I should have kept my mouth shut to begin with however. I just think I got a lousy product from Coleman and that left a sour taste in my mouth. Maybe their 380 narrow annulus forgings were crap relative to their 350 stuff. Don't know. Considering the two 380 rotors were $765 and lasted all of 4 days, I'd say I got garbage. I replaced the rotors with AP racing J hooks and they are still on my friends 7GT3 car with over 30 track days on them.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:04 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

perhaps ap improved. i have floating ap, flosting brembo, wilwood racing... nothing ast me 30 days. if i get more than 5 days on a front rotor, i am happy
Old 08-02-2014, 05:28 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
perhaps ap improved. i have floating ap, flosting brembo, wilwood racing... nothing ast me 30 days. if i get more than 5 days on a front rotor, i am happy
The AP J-hook rotors I used were actually Nissan GTR 380x34mm rotors. Toughest rotors I ever used. I ran them for a better part of 2013 on my car and then swapped them over to my friends 7GT3 where they have been ever since still going strong after several sets of PFC 08s. The rings alone were $1100 for the pair so by no means cheap but considering how long they have lasted so far, they have been a great value.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oyvzkB]

Here is a picture of the 380 rotors that Coleman sent me that turned out to be very short lived. The forging was very soft as the slots wore away after only a few days. Like I said, I either received a dud or they sorted their metallurgy issues and that's good to hear.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/gp1T53]
Old 08-03-2014, 03:36 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

brembo j hook.
I'll call up shark and will try a set
I crack cayenne rotor in four days
Old 08-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use to run Coleman - I too had slot gone in a few days. they are soft. Many many years ago they were the only choice.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:23 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
I use to run Coleman - I too had slot gone in a few days. they are soft. Many many years ago they were the only choice.

Could very well they changed formula. Companies are always looking to make better products. I know we are. So I assume others are as well. 2 open track days (5 hours each day) / one group de (5 sessions) / 8k street miles
Attached Images   

Last edited by F1CrazyDriver; 08-08-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: EB Werks 2- Piece Rotor - Review