Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum-103/)
-   -   Current market for 6GT3s? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/804909-current-market-for-6gt3s.html)

cfjan 03-19-2014 12:57 PM

Regarding used harness and such, it all depends on the usage of the car. Starting this year, all PCA events (I was told), will check the expiration date on the harness. In the past, only club racers need to worry about it. Now the DE crowd will be forced to time out as well.

So a pair of those Schroth is about $1,000 new. If you want to run in PCA events, I guess you will need that, instead of buying "used" belts (although they can be perfectly fine, like those 2 sets of Schroth in my car).

Small things here and there!

audipwr1 03-19-2014 01:43 PM

I bought two recaros (one new one used but still not expired), 2 schroth belts sets, and side mounts a year ago for about 3k so easily do able. Floor mount adapters for gt3 might be the issue. So maybe move that to 4k estimate

I don't use sliders in my track cars so would pass there

Also it's a simple DIY so wouldn't pay someone to do it (like doing the work anyway)

So realistically it's 14k for what we discussed plus purchase price plus tires (1,500), plus pads (500) before this thing hits the track safely.

Thanks for the responses and help

kk2 03-19-2014 02:12 PM

a set of front pfc pads is about $500 alone. The good thing is tires are a bit cheaper than $1500 for the recommended advans.

I'm probably about $25k in over two years on a stock car that came with pccb and 8 year old tires.

PCA7GGR 03-19-2014 02:38 PM

Late last year, I bought an "04 GT3 with 48K miles, the big yellow calipers & near new MotorSport steel rotors, GT Euro Seats/B-K hardware/safety harnesses (good through '14) and rollbar for under $50K. In addition, the tranny had been gone through and clutch replaced.

So, while they are rare, there are still some "track ready" ones out there. You just need to be on the lookout for one. A bit of patience and flexibility on color combos (black cars are a pain - I know I've had four).

Since I don't plan to track the car and my wide bad back didn't fit in the GT seats, I sold the seats/B-K hardware/safety harnesses as a package (yes, you can sources those as well) and the car now has a nice set of 6-way power sport seats.

Why get a GT3 if I don't plan to track it? 'cause at 63, I just wanted to.

mooty 03-19-2014 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by audipwr1 (Post 11226071)
I bought two recaros (one new one used but still not expired), 2 schroth belts sets, and side mounts a year ago for about 3k so easily do able. Floor mount adapters for gt3 might be the issue. So maybe move that to 4k estimate

I don't use sliders in my track cars so would pass there

Also it's a simple DIY so wouldn't pay someone to do it (like doing the work anyway)

So realistically it's 14k for what we discussed plus purchase price plus tires (1,500), plus pads (500) before this thing hits the track safely.

Thanks for the responses and help

you r right in the ball park and very realistic about it.

mooty 03-19-2014 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by PCA7GGR (Post 11226241)
Late last year, I bought an "04 GT3 with 48K miles, the big yellow calipers & near new MotorSport steel rotors, GT Euro Seats/B-K hardware/safety harnesses (good through '14) and rollbar for under $50K. In addition, the tranny had been gone through and clutch replaced.

So, while they are rare, there are still some "track ready" ones out there. You just need to be on the lookout for one. A bit of patience and flexibility on color combos (black cars are a pain - I know I've had four).

Since I don't plan to track the car and my wide bad back didn't fit in the GT seats, I sold the seats/B-K hardware/safety harnesses as a package (yes, you can sources those as well) and the car now has a nice set of 6-way power sport seats.

Why get a GT3 if I don't plan to track it? 'cause at 63, I just wanted to.

jeff sold you a very good car!!!
and at a very good price :thumbup:

tgavem 03-19-2014 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by mooty (Post 11225828)
Tgavem,
Why do you say harness and seats at $3k are plenty available? Do you mean the euro buckets? I cannot find them in good shape. I only saw 2 pairs in good shape both $4000 and I bought both sets. If you have leads, let me know. That’s just the seats. Not even inc harness!

When I say plenty available, what I mean is - the DE crowd is transient so used seats, harness bar and belts come available regularly. I bought my GMG bar, maxspeed seats and belts with one year left for less than 2k. Somebody had bought a 997.1 GT3 with it installed, but did not want it. With a little patience, those opportunities will be available.

mooty 03-19-2014 08:21 PM

^ got it

rbahr 03-19-2014 11:19 PM

I bought a pair of new OMG seats - ( great seat these fit me the best having sat in a LOT of seats) ~ $1500 shipped across the country, Belts were ~$300 each, mounts ~$70 per pair, sliders ~$70 per. Bars are available for cheap money, I had a full cage installed in my last car built for $2000 to meet Rally America specs. I R&R'ed the interior... It all depends on patience and/or sweat equity

Ray - who tends to be cheap

christallon 03-20-2014 12:30 AM

What happened to the white 63 this thread was started about? This I want to know! :corn: Datax, you out there?

christallon 03-20-2014 12:34 AM

What about a dedicated track car, like a 63 CUP? Anyone have an opinion? running costs, maintenance, fun factor vs street 63? Curious cause 63 Cups are looking very appealing right now, price wise. :corn:

tlarocque 03-20-2014 01:25 AM

Go to Cup Forum to hear operating expenses on 6-3 Cups. Purchasing the vehicle is the cheap part. Hell of a ride though!

mooty 03-21-2014 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by rbahr (Post 11227748)
I bought a pair of new OMG seats - ( great seat these fit me the best having sat in a LOT of seats) ~ $1500 shipped across the country, Belts were ~$300 each, mounts ~$70 per pair, sliders ~$70 per. Bars are available for cheap money, I had a full cage installed in my last car built for $2000 to meet Rally America specs. I R&R'ed the interior... It all depends on patience and/or sweat equity

Ray - who tends to be cheap

you did well. i need you to shop for me.

Originally Posted by christallon (Post 11227973)
What about a dedicated track car, like a 63 CUP? Anyone have an opinion? running costs, maintenance, fun factor vs street 63? Curious cause 63 Cups are looking very appealing right now, price wise. :corn:

i have had both.
the cup is WAY WAY WAY better than 6gt3 street car. WAYWAY WAY better.
cost to operate is too open ended. it depends on HOW you operated it. but lets just say if you have to think more than 10 min on cost, you simply cannot operate it the way it should be operated. it's not a cheap machine.

tgavem 03-21-2014 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by kk2 (Post 11226165)
a set of front pfc pads is about $500 alone. The good thing is tires are a bit cheaper than $1500 for the recommended advans.

I'm probably about $25k in over two years on a stock car that came with pccb and 8 year old tires.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I got about 20k into mine exluding wear and tear items (rotors, pads and tires). Looking back, I would get a car that was already set up, even if it wasn't a 996 :surr:

tcsracing1 03-21-2014 01:54 PM

a white 996 GT3 for $50k is a great buy considering what 964 RSA are trading for.....

Im almost tempted to jump into the 996 GT3 market..... very capable 911 especially for the money!