Sponsored by:

Interest in Joe Toth splitter for OEM 996 GT2

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:49 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

Moved out to west coast and tried out the Dive planes at thunderhill last week.

I ended up losing one of my splitters to an...ahem.. "off roading experience"... but it caused zero damage to the car or mount points/etc. Just as designed, the fiberglass gave up before the fasteners to body did. A+ again Joe.

Here's some pics of the new Dive planes. I only attached them with 3M tape. Held up at many 135mph runs no problem. I didn't go past that due to losing a few of the Dzus fasteners holding on the backup splitter.

Car no doubt has more front end grip in mid/high speed corners, but these aren't my home tracks so I can't really say I got "x MPH from the splitter / planes".

Pics below...

Old 03-29-2015, 09:51 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Looks great Henry. How are you liking the 305/35s?
Old 03-29-2015, 09:56 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

I like the 305/35s a lot -- I ended up with a much higher ride height @ 135mm than what I think you were able to in the rear. I also got 7" springs when I did the bilstein rebuild, but should have gone for 6" rears to make up for the extra tire. Live and learn! The 5mm spacer you recommended was perfect with the OZ wheels. (-2.7camber clears fenders well)

It's close enough that it takes a few sessions to scrub off tread then nothing rubs anymore.

Last edited by vr4henry; 03-30-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:41 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by vr4henry
I like the 305/35s a lot -- I ended up with a much higher ride height @ 135mm than what I think you were able to in the rear. I also got 7" springs when I did the bilstein rebuild, but should have gone for 6" rears to make up for the extra tire. Live and learn! The 5mm spacer you recommended was perfect with the OZ wheels, I didn't realize they were non OEM GT2 offset to be honest. (-2.7camber clears fenders well)

It's close enough that it takes a few sessions to scrub off tread then nothing rubs anymore.
Yes, you have to get the car realigned and ride height adjusted with the taller rear. I am at 98mm front and 125mm rear. That may be a touch low for the OEM shocks but you should be OK since you're re-valved and stiffer sprung. Front mains are 5" + tender and rears are 6" + tender. ET40 rear is the magic number on a 12" rear on these cars... Stock is ET45.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Did something a little different yesterday. We mounted the splitter to an aftermarket GT2 bumper (on a turbo) which Al believes to be a Getty. There were no major issues. I trimmed the part a little different from what I do for the factory bumpers. The only minor problem was drilling holes in the mounting flange of the splitterto match and align with the nutserts already in the bumper from the previously mounted factory splitter.

In the end the installation looked very good. Fit to the bumper was nice.

The dive planes did not fit as there is a slight difference in the contour of the bumper, although if I were to shorten the dive planes about an inch from there existing size they would fit very nicely.

Some pics of the installation. The skies opened up as we were completing this and it started hailing and raining.

Last edited by Joe Toth; 05-15-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:02 AM
waf
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Toth
Did something a little different yesterday. We mounted the splitter to an aftermarket GT2 bumper (on a turbo) which Al believes to be a Getty. There were no major issues. I trimmed the part a little different from what I do for the factory bumpers. The only minor problem was drilling holes in the mounting flange of the splitterto match and align with the nutserts already in the bumper from the previously mounted factory splitter.

In the end the installation looked very good. Fit to the bumper was nice.

The dive planes did not fit as there is a slight difference in the contour of the bumper, although if I were to shorten the dive planes about an inch from there existing size they would fit very nicely.

Some pics of the installation. The skies opened up as we were completing this and it started hailing and raining.
--many thanks to Joe for taking his sat and spending it the "semi" rain to work on the fit and finish-- the end result looks great and the front end feels planted at speed-- a great addition

--al
Old 04-09-2015, 01:21 AM
LoveTheBeast
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pleas pm me the price/details for the adjustable GT2 splitter and canards/dive planes.
And thanks for all of your work on this.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:02 PM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Trying to get into the twenty first century this old guy has started a facebook page "joe toth composites" for my bits and pieces. I would really appreciate input, feedback, comments and pictures of your cars to build an album.Thank you in advance for your contributions to the page.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:56 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

deleted
Old 09-28-2016, 12:57 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Toth
Trying to get into the twenty first century this old guy has started a facebook page "joe toth composites" for my bits and pieces. I would really appreciate input, feedback, comments and pictures of your cars to build an album.Thank you in advance for your contributions to the page.
bump

Quick Reply: Interest in Joe Toth splitter for OEM 996 GT2