Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Done a Softronic ECU Flash of Their GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by AP328
Since the 996 GT3 is so rare in Canada, I haven't even seen another 996 GT3, let alone spoken to anyone with a Softronic ECU flash.

Has anyone done this flash on a 996 GT3 and do you feel it improved performance?
You live in the wrong province. The Rennsport region has several dozen 996 GT3's as well as 9 997.2 GT3 RS
Old 10-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well the older I get the faster I was. Did you pass me on a cool down lap? There is always someone faster. I'm just a little fish. The onlt GT3 that really erks me is that gray Ruf . I'll look for you in my videos. Your avatar looks like a 997 all worked up.?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:00 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 357 Posts

I'm intersted in this topic as well. I understand the N/A platform is very different than the turbo platforms, where huge gains are commonplace just from a flash. My take, however, is that even with n/a cars there is always some power "left on the table" after a factory tune, since the factory has to "tune" these cars to operate under all conditions/temperatures/elevations/gas quality/sound restrictions/etc..., etc.... and still meet emissions targets and mpg requirements. Also, I think a tune is probably best utilized when done in conjuction with other mods. Finally, sometimes tunes are optimized from the factory to yeild a high peak hp reading for marketing purposes, at the expense of down low hp/tq. My current tune on my turbo, for example, was a semi-custom tune from UMW that prioritized low rpm torque over peak hp, and even though my car is "not as powerful" as some cars running comparable 1-bar stock turbo flashes, my car is much more fun to drive and FEELS way faster!

When I get my car back from the shop (fixing the tranny which I broke!, and installing an rs clutch/lwfw kit), I'm going to put on my fabspeed mufflers and headers. At that point I'm going to consider a tune. I hear the umw tune and evoms tunes for these cars are both good, especially when coupled with other mods.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you change things I believe you need to tune for them. you don't want to drive to lean. Ask me how I know.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:48 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 357 Posts

ok, how do you know? Are you saying that changing stuff like an intake and exahust could cause you to run lean if no accompanying tune?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:42 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I had my car dyno'd 4 times, all on the same day and all with me present. First the car was dyno'd stock to make sure it put down healthy numbers. Next was after a new exhaust (made from left over parts off one of my 997 RS's, so kinda OEM). Third was with a drop in K&N filter. Last was with the Softronic flash. It made 385 rwhp consistently after 3 runs at the end, which after factoring drivetrain loss is something over 425 hp at the crank. Most surprising was after replacing the filter, which gave 5rwhp consistently over 3 runs. I will see if I can find my printouts on it and post them up. I had no change done to the throttle response as I agree, not interested in a peaky car to drive.

The car now can easily wheel spin both tires coming out of corners, where as previously you had to work to get that situation to happen. I have no trouble passing GT2's and Z06 corvette's coming out of corners and it will keep with a GT2 in a straight line. My car is stripped of its interior, but does run a full Porsche Motorsport 997 bolt in roll cage. Car weight is 3008 with driver in it and 1/4 tank of gas.

I would recommend Softronic. They made 3 different tunes for the car, all custom after considering the minimal other engine changes it had and tweaked the one we settled in on after we found more room for improvement. Scott, the owner of Softronic, is a PCA Club Racing technical scutineer so is very familiar with these cars.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:50 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Well the older I get the faster I was. Did you pass me on a cool down lap? There is always someone faster. I'm just a little fish. The onlt GT3 that really erks me is that gray Ruf . I'll look for you in my videos. Your avatar looks like a 997 all worked up.?
It wasn't a cool down lap. That RUF, isn't a RUF. Only an exhaust and badge. I bought that car last month as a wreck after it hit the wall at Mosport for my new winter project. It's going to become a 996 RSR replica with a 4.2l in it.

The car in my avatar is one of my other cars, not my track car. My track car (996 GT3) turns 2.04 at WGI on Hoosiers and 2.08 on Toyo R888's pretty consistently. So far, only Cup Cars can pass me on most tracks.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:55 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts

For anyone interested, we offer Softronic Tunes for all Porsches, including the 996 GT3 and have Rennlist Member SpeedTech exhaust/Softronic flash bundle discount pricing...PM or email for details.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
That RUF, isn't a RUF. Only an exhaust and badge. I bought that car last month as a wreck after it hit the wall at Mosport for my new winter project. It's going to become a 996 RSR replica with a 4.2l in it.

Ken's car? I didn't realize it had such a sad fate. Sorry to hear. Sounds like it will be a monster after you rebuild.

Until this year my car was completely stock power wise. I added exhaust this year thus the allure of a few more HP via a flash intrigues me but I've had poor results in the past with tunes on N/A cars (even modified ones) which has caused me to never really look into it for the GT3. Now this thread has me wondering again.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:22 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Yeah, it was Ken's car. Didn't make it through 5A at the end of a session. Damage isn't to bad, but the labor to repair it is what did it in. I don't mind a challenge and do most of my own mechanical work so will bring it back to life better than before.

But your right, its going to be a monster.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:47 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

So, you only mentioned the difference that the K&N filter made...5 hp. What about the tune? Did they customize it while you were on the dyno? Different from their standard on-line download? What about the exhaust?

Thanks for any details.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

The tune was something like 15hp if I remember it right. The exhaust was around 11hp. I have to find my dyno printouts to be exactly sure (sorry, it was over a year and 60+ trackdays ago). These are all rwhp on a Dynojet dyno. And yes, it was customized between dyno runs after observing how the curves looked.

The exhaust I use is a set of 997.2 RS headers and rear center box with Supersprint side muffler delete pipes. A stock 996 GT3 exhaust is around 8 ft in piping total. My exhaust is now 3 ft in length total.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:12 PM
gt3-4me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does your exhaust exit in the center like the 997's do. Or does the supersprint by pass pipes exit on the sides? I have a set of 997 RS headers that I have been planning on putting on my car. Just have to get off my *** to do it.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

It's center exit via the 997.2 RS center box. I changed the rear bumper to a cup bumper as it has the center exit that matches perfectly. The car looks OEM and has a perfect exhaust sound, not to loud, but very cup car'ish.

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Done a Softronic ECU Flash of Their GT3?