Sponsored by:

Nitrogen shock charging kit??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:19 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Default Nitrogen shock charging kit??

This is a guestion for any of you guys with Motons, JRZs, Ohlins, etc.. What do you guys use to charge or change the Nitrogen pressure in your shocks? I would like to have something at the house or be able to take it to the track to fine tune the shock pressures. Obviously you need a nitrogen tank with a regulator and a built in or separate pressure gauge with a readout up to about 250psi, basically a tire pressure gauge (that reads to 250psi or so) that you can use to check the pressures and bleed it down accurately. I was curious if anyone sells a kit or if you just need to piece one together. Thx!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:20 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I pieced mine together. I have Motons. I have found that they keep their charge. I doubt I would be able to get any advantage from "tuning" the gas pressure in the shocks. As I understand it, it would increase the spring rate in a VERY small way.
I use the ***** ( rarely once the car is set up)
Old 09-02-2013, 06:25 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

I guess more than tuning I'd like to be able to periodically check the pressures and re-set them if need be. If you can share what you used to piece it together I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Sure,

I went to a local welding supply store and picked up a small ( about 3 feet tall) nitrogen tank and nitrogen , about $85.00, a regulator for about $100., a very short pressure gauge like this (http://02e449d.netsolstores.com/gass...suregauge.aspx) and a 10-20 foot high pressure hose. The key is to get a gauge that has very little volume, so you don't lose too much pressure by detaching it.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:47 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Sure,

I went to a local welding supply store and picked up a small ( about 3 feet tall) nitrogen tank and nitrogen , about $85.00, a regulator for about $100., a very short pressure gauge like this (http://02e449d.netsolstores.com/gass...suregauge.aspx) and a 10-20 foot high pressure hose. The key is to get a gauge that has very little volume, so you don't lose too much pressure by detaching it.
Thx Chuck!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:43 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Try a Shock Inflation Gauge

There's very little gas in the shock canister, so it's best to use a gauge that can isolate the canister fill valve. You will probably bleed down the canister pressure by 15 psi when you check the pressure, so be prepared to restore the presure. The simplest gauges are the Penske, but ones with a hose make it much more convenient.

http://pitstopusa.com/c-134479-shock...re-gauges.html
Old 09-08-2013, 11:58 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Half-way down the page, with hose: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...chuck&_sacat=0

I have a similar setup. The hose does cause more loss, but allows me to position the gauge so that I can see it from where my N2 bottle is:

I hook up the hose/gauge to the canister; screw in the plunger to read what's in the shock; crank up the pressure to above my target; close off the supply; and finally, bleed the shock down to what I want my final pressure to be.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Half-way down the page, with hose: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...chuck&_sacat=0

I have a similar setup. The hose does cause more loss, but allows me to position the gauge so that I can see it from where my N2 bottle is:

I hook up the hose/gauge to the canister; screw in the plunger to read what's in the shock; crank up the pressure to above my target; close off the supply; and finally, bleed the shock down to what I want my final pressure to be.
+1 also I have had almost no measurable pressure loss on the Motons

Quick Reply: Nitrogen shock charging kit??