Sponsored by:

Long time 996tt owner needs advice about potential 05 gt3 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 05:57 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 370 Posts
Default Long time 996tt owner needs advice about potential 05 gt3 purchase

Ok, guys, I don't spend much time on the gt3 section of the forum but I thought I'd solicit some advice from the 6gt3 gurus. I've come across a car that is tempting me to sell my beloved 996tt that I've owned for 7 years. Last year about this time I got the itch to jump to a 6gt3 but after driving what I now believe to be a bad example, I resovled to stick with my car which is really well sorted (custom umw 1-bar tune, FVD-valved pss9's, techart rear wing, gt2 ic's, replica gt2 front bumper, gt2 clutch slave conversion and evo stage 3 clutch, switzer exhaust, etc....).

So fast forward to a few days ago and I encounter a black 05 with pretty high miles for sale (73k). Asking price is 55k. First Porsche for the current owner and he is ready to sell after only about 10k miles over two years. Second owner put 30k miles on it in 11 months in 2007-2008, otherwise, the mileage per year has been pretty normal for a gt3. Car was purchased by current owner from a fellow in Arcadia Ca who put only 1,500 miles on it.

The bad: cosemtically a little rough around the edges. There are a few door dings, some small scratches, a few pretty good rock chips, and the headlights are yellow. The front bumper also has that "salted" look from the thousands of tiny little rock chips that are so apparent on black porsches that have a lot of highway miles. Sport seats are ok with some wear on bolsters, but rest of the interior looks a little tired, but nothing that a new silver center console and a little tlc couldn't fix. Clean Car Fax but by virtue of some overspray it looks like the front hood was painted at some point. No receipts or records before 11/2011. Silver accents on the techquipment shifter and "gt3" script handbrake are pretty beat up.

The Good: When the current owner purchased the car in 11/2011, RSS in Cal went through it and did a 60k mile major service that included changing out all fluids, plugs, belt, filters, lots of seals here and there, and basically every single clutch component were replaced (clutch disk, flywheel, pressure plate, bolts, seals, etc...). Receipt for this work shows $5,500 in parts and labor. About 1k in additional work about a year ago such as replacing some coolant lines and a new water pump. Rear michilen pilot sports are new. Car drives really well. Ride is good, and it seems to pull good (although the missing torque is really, really obvious). Steering was nimble and shifts felt swift and good. Other than the Lloyd's mat "gt3" script mats and the ipod compatible alpine head unit, the car appears to be bone stock.

The questions:
(1) The engine seems a little noisy when listening near the exhaust, but I know that is pretty normal for a gt1 metzger engine. The sound is a bit "klanky" (not the loud rythmic tick that can be indicative of ims shaft or valvetrain issues). Is this normal for the n/a gt1 engine?
(2) At anything above about 3k rpm, the oil pressure was reading pretty close to max (5 on the guague). Is it normal for these cars to read at the top of the guage during spirited driving?
(3) coming from the turbo platform, i've been spoiled by the availability of relatively cheap hp increases. I'm guessing theres not much to be done to increase performance of the gt3 without stroking the motor, but do exhaust/cat changes help performance at all? I'd like a bit more aggressive sound if I purchased this and a performance increase would be nice at the same time.

What do you guys think about a fair price for a car like this? Before I purchase I will do a ppi with an overrev check for type 1 and type 2's, so assume that the overrev count is acceptable. As you know, its hard to arrive at a true "market" price for these cars because they are so rare, and I've noticed values ranging all over the place. And, there are very few high mileage "comps" which makes it even harder for me to value this 70k mile plus car.

The car feels much slower (in a straight line at least!) than my current ride, but I can honestly say I thought this gt3 was more "fun" to drive, which is what is important to me (two of my favorite former vehicles were my boxster s and an e36 m3...not known for being blazing fast but really fun to drive)

Any thoughts, advice, or comments would be highly appreciated! Scott.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:17 AM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine seems a little noisy when listening near the exhaust, but I know that is pretty normal for a gt1 metzger engine. The sound is a bit "klanky" (not the loud rythmic tick that can be indicative of ims shaft or valvetrain issues). Is this normal for the n/a gt1 engine?

At anything above about 3k rpm, the oil pressure was reading pretty close to max (5 on the gauge). Is it normal for these cars to read at the top of the gauge during spirited driving?

Yes - my RS is just the same.

If I had a well sorted 996tt thats what I would keep!

There are clearly better GT3s around than the one you found!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:33 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

^ Agreed, better ones are out there.

I've often thought of moving off my GT3 into a 996TT (I came out of a 993TT) or a 997S, gentler/kinder cars, but driving them find they are not to my taste, not involving enough. I'm near-70, and will probably move to something else in 10 years or so. IMO, it's important that you appreciate the rougher edges of the GT3.

I have the Cargraphic mufflers on mine, and enjoy that sound much better. Since I no longer track the car, I have an FVD-Brombacher flash that gives me a stronger/smoother low-end for street driveability (plus about 15 rwhp). That's about all the extra hp you can get without going inside the engine.

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 09-01-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:37 AM
lakid042
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove a modded 996TT (exhaust/tune/etc...) back-to-back with a 996 GT3 and the Turbo was obviously faster around town and the torque was amazing. However, the first time I took the GT3 over 8K, I was sold. The upper RPM rush is amazing and the car just feels "special". I bided my time and found a less expensive, much lower mileage GT3 and bought it on the spot after the test drive (subject to a successful PPI).
Old 09-01-2013, 12:54 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you going to drive the GT3 on the track? I hope Tom posts his thoughts, he just went through this exact exercise.

I know the Turbo feels so much faster on the street - but on the track - there's really on comparison. GT3>TT.

-td
Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

55K seems 5 - 7K too much.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:02 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to pass on this car, even though the owner is willing to do sub-50k. Got my eye on another though. If I pick up a gt3 I think for the time being I'm just going to keep both for a while! It would pain me to sell the Turbo, and the two cars would really compliment each other nicely (plus, the turbo is in perfect shape, even with 105k miles!) Gotta love the mezger engine!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get PPI at Penske. They have two very good techs there. They moved from Seattle. When here they took car of my C2 and GT3.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:58 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Got ppi set up for this friday. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:26 PM
unterbergamotten3
Advanced

If you like the turbo speed with the GT3 feel, how about selling the turbo and get a GT2? These are quite affordable these days.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:10 AM
dubyaTT
Instructor

The GT3 is a fantastic car for the track. I'm not sure you will love it on the street.

Spend as much time in one as you can before making your decision.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:12 AM
dubyaTT
Instructor

I really like the GT2 endorsement as well.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dubyaTT
The GT3 is a fantastic car for the track. I'm not sure you will love it on the street.

Spend as much time in one as you can before making your decision.

Good luck.
you seem like a pretty smart fella...must be an Ohio thing

I agree though, if I didn't track my car I'd own a turbo not a GT3.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Exigent
Track Day

I made the jump from 996tt to 996 GT3 about 2 years ago and really love the GT3.

On the street you may prefer the TT, more torque, softer ride, etc. On the track the GT3 is second to none. Only you can decide.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:07 AM
AP328
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 997 TT and 996 GT3 and enjoy both immensely. They are very different cars and the GT3 is much more elemental and raw. I find the GT3 to be quite quick and obviously wonderful on the track. While I really enjoy the GT3 around town, I am aware some would find it too rough riding (at least on our under maintained streets), but it is exactly what I wanted.

Quick Reply: Long time 996tt owner needs advice about potential 05 gt3 purchase