Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons of clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 AM
BuckeyeDrew
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and Cons of clear bra

I am thinking of adding 3m clear bra on my car and just wanted to know what your opinions of the product was? I cannot think of anything negative except for possible issues with it as it ages? Other than that it seems like a good idea (especially since all I have to do is pay for the material).
Thanks
Andy
Old 06-07-2013, 01:31 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mines a bit yellow... but that can be fixed with a quick change. At least my paint is still good.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:26 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your cost is only the material, no brainer.. just do it =)

All films age and take beating of the environment/track crap/rocks etc.. it would be nice to change them out once they are beaten up.. at least it protects the paint under. Discoloration is most noticeable on white cars i think. Best colors are silver to greyish darker paint.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:28 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

As it ages and as you clean tire marks off again and again, it gets harder and harder to clean and get those marks off (really only in hot spots). Still, better than the paint taking all that abuse.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I had it done.. Here's my take.

A bumper respray at a decent bodyshop is about $400. My clearbra and detail was over $3k. You can get a lot of paintwork done for that cost.

NOW, my car had ~8k miles when I bought it. The paint was about as perfect as you could get. You only have one shot at original paint, so I chose to protect it.

If you're car already has blemishes, I would neglect it until it drove you crazy or it came time to sell.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Wayne K
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have clear on my GT3 and use a bra on my Boxster (both cars are black). The clear is not as noticeable but a stone still puts a nick in it which can be as noticeable as a paint chip. If it is on a larger piece it can be costly to replace. The bra is offensive to some but I think it protects the areas it covers better than the clear and can be put on and removed whenever desired.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:29 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the whole GT2 clearbra'd so when I track it I won't feel guilty.
It's slightly noticeable in some places, but totally worth it IMHO.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:47 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The material must be installed by qualified and caring people. While trimming it is easy for one to cut through the clear material and into the paint.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:28 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by vr4henry
I had the whole GT2 clearbra'd so when I track it I won't feel guilty.
It's slightly noticeable in some places, but totally worth it IMHO.
Ya i dont give a $hit if nicks and whatnot are noticeable in film. When i see them i am happy - it is film not paint
Old 06-13-2013, 01:48 AM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think clearbra is the way to go. Sure, your car can be repainted. It is hard to find a painter who can really do a nice job.
Go look at clearbra and decide what you think. I have used 3M but also seen other products out there. I think 3M may have a bit more orange peel than some of the competition out there. That said, I have it on four of my cars. The next time however, I will compare more closely.
Some are "self healing" now. I have seen this demo'd by wire brushing a sample, then using a heat gun applying heat and no kidding the scratches go away.
Chose the clearbra carefully is my point. There are options.
My hood has a full wrapped clearbra. You cannot tell it is there really. Full coverage and the material wraps around the edges.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:35 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Huge diff between a respray and factory paint. Also, there is no shop I know of that does quality work that will even prep it for $400. Expect about $1500 or more if you want it done right.

Clear bra will hold up virtually forever if it's (a) done by a competent installer; (2) it's the new line of film (forgot by whom, but it "self-heals" and is clearer); and (3) you garage the car.

I have it on my car and you cannot ever tell the film is on the car. I have the entire from covered and it is wrapped AROUND the ends of each fender and bumper so you there is no "template" cut look.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:55 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Huge diff between a respray and factory paint. Also, there is no shop I know of that does quality work that will even prep it for $400. Expect about $1500 or more if you want it done right.

Clear bra will hold up virtually forever if it's (a) done by a competent installer; (2) it's the new line of film (forgot by whom, but it "self-heals" and is clearer); and (3) you garage the car.

I have it on my car and you cannot ever tell the film is on the car. I have the entire from covered and it is wrapped AROUND the ends of each fender and bumper so you there is no "template" cut look.
There's a huge difference between a concourse quality respray and one that is good enough for a car that is a driver.

If you're front end is beat already, the point is moot. A clear bra isn't going to fix damaged paint.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:58 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, I would never have a "good enough" respray (or any paint work) done on any of my cars. They aren't concours quality, but I do want factory finish. Not sure why anybody would have a "good enough" spray. IMO, that's worse than a bunch of rock ships. To each his own though........
Old 06-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have a local detail shop that will touch up the paint with Dr. Colorchip before laying down the clear bra. The results are amazing. Might be a reasonable option for a weekend track car.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 446 Likes on 288 Posts

Slightly off-topic question... what do you guys think of a "regular" car bra (I guess they are made of vinyl?).

I'm not a big fan of them, but I'm not a big fan of rock chips, either. I haven't seen many cars with regular bras in online albums, so I'm guessing that most people give it a thumbs-down.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of clear bra