Sponsored by:

Coolant Line Failures- NHTSA

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 10:47 AM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I don't know if I should DIY this or just pay somebody to do it." ~~~ Unless someone is capable of removing and partially disassembling the engine and then has serious TIG welding skills this isn't anywhere near what a typical "DIY" project entails. This is a situation that can have dire consequences for both you and any others who may be behind you if not addressed in a competent manner. Unfortunately Porsche made a very poor choice in just using epoxy to attach the coolant tubes to the coolant manifold in these Mezger engines but now the only way to be truly safe either on the street or track is to have the tubes welded or pinned in place so that they can never come loose....I would also strongly recommend that this work be performed by someone who has prior experience with the work. The coolant tubes are rather thin-wall aluminum and welding them to the aluminum manifold is a very delicate job. Best to not have the tech "learn" on your engine.....
Old 04-02-2017, 03:35 AM
Luminator
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Coming in to the on ramp I heard the squeal of the belt and saw the plume of steam in the rear view. Shut it off without issue. Lost a coolant fitting 1600 miles after purchase with 73k on the clock. Declined the selling P dealers "discounted" cost of $3420 to replace one fitting and hose when I got the service advisors blank stare and shoulder shrug as I tried to discuss a preventative solution to a well known flaw. Put it on the flatbed , and took it the best indy around IMO for replacement of the plastic elbows with aluminum , and welding of all fittings , among other things.

The while we're in there added up , $$$ and had them replace the coolant tank , fuel filter, some hoses , plugs, all the o rings, damaged shift cable, trans / diff service and enhanced the exhaust. $9k in Porsche taxes . Better than a wreck , and will hopefully result in happy motoring for awhile.

Filed my report with NHTSA as well.

Edit . Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. Can't figure out how to move the post. Maybe its relevant info since its a Mezger .
Attached Images      

Last edited by Luminator; 04-02-2017 at 03:55 AM. Reason: wrong forum
The following users liked this post:
yohoba (01-06-2021)
Old 04-03-2017, 05:55 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 637 Likes on 397 Posts

Holy Crap

That is one clean, large shop with a lot of Porsches...
Old 12-02-2017, 03:57 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 122 Posts

997? coolant line failure on the Nurburgring. The place is already dangerous without hosing down the track.

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/freak-...rfect-weekend/

Facebook Post

http://www.motortrend.com/news/frigh...t-nurburgring/
Old 12-04-2017, 11:05 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Had a 996 GT3 blow his coolant pipes right in front of me on the straight at BIR (approx 130mph+) My windshield and front of the car was full of coolant immediately and I could not see. Since I was familiar with it and knew what happened, I was able to slam on my brakes for a couple of seconds before it was all over the track and coast the car down safely without incident. Behind me were two 991 GT3's, one of them corrected from a spin and the other hit the wall and caused over $50k worth of damage to his car.
The following users liked this post:
yohoba (01-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Coolant Line Failures- NHTSA