Hey........

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Hey........

Hello all.

Just joined the Club. Cant post pics (car is not yet in possession altho deal is done and she is paid for - will do when she arrives)...

Been lurking and reading for awhile. Thank you! Great stuff here...

Car (04 GT3, 30K, with euro seats, roll bar, but otherwise essentially stock) is in hands of a trusted tech for coolant fitting fix, changing out of all hoses/filters/oils, with correct grade, etc. Hope to get 'reliability' covered early on... Car will be used primarily for track...

Have a list of items that I want to do (from searching here) but would like some updated opinions.

Could you rank for me, in order of priority (in your mind), what improvements to make for 'track drivability/performance' if you were doing that again/over?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cello; 03-21-2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: added info...
Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

LSD/rear toe links/brake pads ie pagid rs 19/29 or similar plus brake fluid like castrol srf/ gear oil mobil delvac since its primary track car- gets u going. If u primarily track u should address the coolant fittings ie weld or pin. Go guard internals for LSD if it hasn't been done. Plenty of other things down the road. Congrats. Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Thx Mike, clarified post above, the normal track stuff will be done (have a good amt of time out there) ..

So, priority list starts as follows:

1. LSD
2. Rear Toe Links

Add opinions/recs?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Since u addressing coolant fittings with motor down do lwf/clutch if it hasnt been done and get the appropriate rs crank pulley while u at it. Mite as well change your engine mounts too ie solid or semisolid and get the cup cables done as well. Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I go to events run by NNJRPCA. If you get a change to drive with them, look me up. I'll be at Lime Rock and Mosport ( hopefully).
Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Hey Chuck, will do and thx! I've instructed with NNJR at NJMP but have not traveled with them yet... I really want to go to Ohio with them one year (went to college there, etc)..

Mike, thx again!

On the motor mounts, would going solid overload a non-solid bushing suspension on this car; ie, semi-solid until non-rubber bushings, or non-issue? Also, need stiffened trans mt in that case, IYO?

..BTW, I like to drive a relative stock suspension on any new car until i understand it; then harden/stiffen same, so that would be how I approach this ride initially at least...

3. LWFW/clutch/LWCP
4. Motor mounts - semi-solid, initially
5. Cup shifter cables

..so far you are verifying my list so thats giving me confidence i am on the right track.. Keep the recs coming please! Best, CJ

Last edited by cello; 03-21-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Semi-solid for now. Not that hard to replace if u go solid. I'm only looking for minimal suspension stuff. If u running stock suspension no need to go full steel mono ball in the rear. Get minimal just drive : ). Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

^ OK, that sounds good. Thx!

I figured - get it right durability and maintenance wise first; then do the basic track prep work; then drive it and fit it (susp wise), so to speak..

Thx for your help!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Cello - check out the 'must read' stickies thread .. You'll enjoy that

Mike - Megan's gonna get jealous!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

You don't really need much to start out with. Safety is always the first priority with get 6-point Harnesses, and Hans. Get a good alignment. These cars tend to be sensitive to alignment. A good set of tires - R compound if you are ready for them. Pagid endurance pads RS19 or RS29 and good brake fluid such as Castrol SRF. That is really it at the beginning. Learn the car before lots of modifications.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HiWind
Cello - check out the 'must read' stickies thread .. You'll enjoy that

Mike - Megan's gonna get jealous!
LOL - every girl, metal or flesh, likes a day at the spa and new jewelry .

I read all of it when I was in lurking mode. Got a great education! Thx again All!

Originally Posted by rodneyr
You don't really need much to start out with. Safety is always the first priority with get 6-point Harnesses, and Hans. Get a good alignment. These cars tend to be sensitive to alignment. A good set of tires - R compound if you are ready for them. Pagid endurance pads RS19 or RS29 and good brake fluid such as Castrol SRF. That is really it at the beginning. Learn the car before lots of modifications.
Yeah - this is my third Porsche all tracked so I know the basics.. I like Pagid Blacks so prob run them in the rear (as I have extra sets from my other car) at least - thinking Yellows front initially for bias (usually run the Blacks 4 corners) and to see how it feels with a good LSD .. Any thoughts on this (i know there are a few threads on topic too)..

The alignment is interesting. Using my Tech's recs initially and will watch tire wear to see how it works for my driving style.

Advised today that the engines out, fittings are done, the LSD is headed to Matt, and the WP, hoses, filters, etc are being changed out. Next up - read the clutch and decide on LWFW/CP... Some good threads going so I'm headed over there, lol

Really looking forward to beginning the learning curve again. Each car is a bit different and the process of learning and set up is fun!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Also have them check all the intake manifold hoses. They get dry and brittle with age. 2 of them cracked on mine and guess where- bawahhhhh!!! Mike
Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

^Will do Mike, and thx for your help!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

No probs. Just letting guy enjoy the track vs damn my car grenaded something- not fun. Mike

Quick Reply: Hey........