Sponsored by:

GT2 Value long term?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 215 Posts
Default GT2 Value long term?

Folks....probably the wrong place to ask...but do you feel the long term value of the Gt2 format will stop depreciating soon - and values start to hold steady. Looking at 1996-1997 993tt's now that are more expensive than 2002 - 2004 GT2's! - I am thinking GT2 or (of GT 3) is way better value. Thoughts? I was out to buy a 993tt but thinking they have just gotten too stupid in pricing - and nice ones are hard to find. had a GT3 so GT2 would be next step I guess...and is that a much nicer car than an 997 GT3 which is appraching the same money??

Lots of questions - really thinking hard about this car...

THX.

Last edited by Overdraft; 12-29-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 169 Posts

I think that because of the relative rarity and the far higher entry price the 996 GT2 might command a slight premium over the 996 GT3 however not nearly as much as the delta in original pricing. The 996 GT3 just has more uses as it is arguably a better track day car and can be converted into a PCA race car in a bigger class. As street cars both are flawed and not likely to attract a big enough market. Both are still depreciating, although they are showing signs of slowing that downward trend, and will do so for a few more years before they start to climb.

I do think that unlike the base m96 cars and turbos, which will continue to depreciate for the forseeable time, that the GT cars have appreciation potential in the mid and long term. Collectors look for cars that were very popular when new, regardless of rarity, and the GT3 meets that test better than the GT2. An example would be the 356 speedster which was built in large numbers and was less expensive than the 356 cabriolet.

The 996tt was hugely popular in its day and still carries that glow, including it's status as last in a series of air cooled turbos. That plus track performance that was not really eclipsed by the 996 cars and a perception that they were not designed to a budget has kept prices high.

The 996 GT2 was not a market success with production dwindling due to low demand not factory liomited numbers, and while it was the "hairy chested" choice, that also works against it as many drivers fear it much like the 930.

You don't mention what you want to do with the car, but if it were me, I think the "next choice" is a 997.1 GT3 RS. The 997.1, while panned for its handling quirks will attract a large foll0wing due to its aggressive looks, especially in orange or viper green. That will mean better appreciation in the mid and long term. They are also close to bottoming out, although they should fall further with the release of the 991 GT3 although not nearly as much as the 997.2 RS. The 997.2 models should do as well eventually but their prices have not fallen enough yet to make them a good financial investment. Based on your current and past cars, you have tasted both the thrill of a great car and the bitter taste of massive depreciation. Your own values and circumstances will dictate which one matters most to you.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 169 Posts

oops, I meant the 993 turbos were hugely popular...
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 PM
unterbergamotten3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 996 GT2 at a quite reasonable entry level price of some $186,000, being mass produced and having flooded the North American market with 304 examples is in my humble opinion doomed to appreciate long term. Just like most of all previous examples in the Porsche history of top dollar, low production examples. It just might.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,829 Likes on 2,389 Posts

both 6gt3 and gt2 are at the bottom of dep'n curve.
more of them will be crashed in the next five years. so they will become rare.
but to really hold value, you cannot drive it. i would pay big dollar for a 6gt3 with say <5000 miles.
anything more than that is a $55,000 car.

a 6gt2 with 20-30k miles is not going to go up in value, but not likely drop much further
Old 12-29-2012, 02:31 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 218 Posts

^^ I disagree that if a car is going to be collectible/hold value/appreciate (long term), that it must be low miles. If you look back at the cars of the past that are now becoming collectible, whilst lower milage cars will fetch a bit more, its not the be all end all. Its more about the originality of the vehicle and that includes ownership history. Generally the less owners and more original the car, the more collectible it will be in the future if in fact the car ever does become a collector car.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:07 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm with Mooty on this one...

Mike
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 215 Posts

Guys this is a big help - thank you.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Guys this is a big help - thank you.
My guess of what you are looking for based on what you have posted and what you have owned is a 997.1 GT3 or 997.1 GT3 RS. I am sure one of those will put a smile on your face at least as much as a 993TT or even a 996 GT2.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:07 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Dennis, there's no guarantee, but I am a believer in the 996 GT2. It is "quirky", was rare and getting rarer, and has an aura about it that says "unique". Only thing for me is that I would need to drive one to make sure that it's not run of the mill.

How long do you plan to keep this one? I would look for a clean, original copy. Watch the market, learn it, and be ready when you find the right one.

997's are still current and value will suffer from the release of newer models; not so with the 996's IMH.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:24 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,829 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
^^ I disagree that if a car is going to be collectible/hold value/appreciate (long term), that it must be low miles. If you look back at the cars of the past that are now becoming collectible, whilst lower milage cars will fetch a bit more, its not the be all end all. Its more about the originality of the vehicle and that includes ownership history. Generally the less owners and more original the car, the more collectible it will be in the future if in fact the car ever does become a collector car.
u r talking very old cars like 73rs, speedster, oe rare birds like talbot, DB2, but gt2 iny such a car. it is at a low now and won't go much lower. but a sub 5000 mile car will b a bit more $. a 15000-30000 gt2 is just a driver no matter who owned it
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 112 Posts

993TT will continue to increase in value. They have a huge following and there were limited numbers produced. Also, something to do with the last air cooled.
I am afraid the 6GT2 never caught on and will not be a collectors car. Sure, I mint one with a few thousand miles will be special, but don't expect others to go up in value.
Like mooty said I think the 6GT3 might go up in value just because they are used a lot and many will crash. Also, it was the last of the "pure" GT3's without the electronics.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u r talking very old cars like 73rs, speedster, oe rare birds like talbot, DB2, but gt2 iny such a car. it is at a low now and won't go much lower. but a sub 5000 mile car will b a bit more $. a 15000-30000 gt2 is just a driver no matter who owned it
Yeah, I was certainly referring to the long term with my comments. If the GT2 ever becomes collectible in the future (unlikely?) then the miles wont matter too much IMO. Especially when you start talking restorations and rebuilds (talking 30 years down the track here).

But I agree, I dont think it will ever become collectible. There is a reason you see more GT3s than GT2s...
Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 AM
unterbergamotten3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoken from history and my own biography, there are not many examples of high dollar, low production supercars with reputation that have remained affordable. I imagine that one primary reason that many more GT3's than GT2's have been sold, is the new car entry level price (with taxes included, one could almost buy 2 GT3's for one GT2 /996). I made my living in capital investments and imagine that in 20 years, there will be only a few hundred GT2's left alive worldwide and therefore, my money is on the GT2 at the current market price. Not many of the people that can afford a 73RS today, do shy away from mileage. When the time comes, it’s all about condition. Only one man’s humble opinion though.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 PM
john rice
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to actually enjoy a car, don't bother with super low miles. If you look carefully at the market on the currently trendy car, miles do matter, but only in terms of trying to sell for silly money vs really good money. Look at the 89-94 Speedsters. Most of the cars I see on the market have relatively high miles for the prices but they seem to be getting them.

I must confess to being "biased", but the 6-2 is the LAST... possibly the last ever Porsche that is entirely driver controlled. It is relatively rare..and I shouldn't have to remind anyone that they are challenging to drive hard. When the foo-foo people discover and start collecting them a lot of people will be wondering why they didn't buy one while they were still affordable. Knowing me, I will have sold mine about 2 years before the prices start jumping [which wouldn't bother me a bit if I were getting enough use out of mine.]

I would go with the guys who favor the later 3-RS cars, but the current prices are still too high. I don't think they are nearly as well priced as the 6-2s or, for that matter, the 6-3s. Lets not forget that there are a lot of people that like the 6-3 because it is such a sweet all around car. After another generation or two of GT3 and RS is out there, people may look back on the first [USA] generation with a particular fondness.

Either way. Some good choices out there. GL
JR

Quick Reply: GT2 Value long term?