Sponsored by:

DIY on mounting fiberglass splitters

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts
Default DIY on mounting fiberglass splitters

So the hot thread has been on the "new splitter design" that Joe T. is selling out of Canada. Lots of talk about Helicopter tape and other methods. Here's what I did.

Nice new shiny splitters arrived on Monday evening via Fedex...

I went to my Ace Truevalue hardware store, where the owner has a really good source for small hardware. I bought some expansion nuts from him. I used these when installing my over-fenders to the zcar and they have proven to be quite durable and sturdy ways to fasten objects to metal in situations where vibrations impact both parts.

These are 10X32 pitch inserts and are about 5/16th in diameter.

I then took measurements and dug out a drill bit... Caution here kids. You only want to poke the tip thru the bumper cover. no need costing yourself more money gouging things.

I then inserted the expansion nuts in the oem factory holes after drilling them larger.

Before fitting the splitter, I took some acetone and wiped the bumper cover and splitter off, and used some 3M double sided tape to help hold the unit in place while I lined up my fasteners.

I used new screws/washers and added a bit of blue loctite to help keep them in place.

Finished product mounted up:

By the way, I'm 220 pounds and I was able to hold my weight grabbing and holding the lip with the car raised to max height on the lift. This sucker isn't going anywhere.

Mike
Old 12-08-2012, 09:01 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I take it an expansion nut bulges when the screw is inserted, thereby securing the lip to the bumper?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Right, the knurled nut that is secured in the rubber housing bulges the rubber as it is drawn tight. It won't pull out if installed properly.

Mike
Old 12-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you go off track won't that extra securing rip the entire front bumper off?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neat fastener and clean install.

But just wondering if Loctite could make intentional future removal a real beast ... As the rubber ages the fastener might spin in the hole and make breaking the Loctite grip (even blue) a PITA.

If you took a small file to the drilled hole (prior to installing the expansion nut) to make a little keying indent, then the rubber should conform to it and help prevent spinning.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Pretty cool Mikelly. For those who may not know, Mikelly has a thick library of DIY's for the 996tt for years, many of which I learned from for my tt. Thanks for sharing once again!

Tom
Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Pics of the final product:

I don't think there will be issue with breaking them loose. I tested that theory this afternoon on two of them and had no issues with breaking them loose without the rubber twisting. Those rubber expansion plugs really do bite into the urethane. Also I am not concerned at all with damaging the front bumper. I seriously don't see doing anymore harm with this on an off. The splitter will be more durable to a point, then will break off at the mounts.

Mike
Old 12-08-2012, 07:10 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Looks great !
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Oh god u have a front license plate!!!! : ). Mike ps- very nice splitter. Probably worse it can do is strip the holes if it snowplows. If it goes into a ditch or wall doesn't really matter what the splitter can do. Mine is anchored in permanently. Mike
Old 12-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Yup, Good Ole Virginia... State troopers here get an all expense paid trip to their favorite destination if they write up Porsche owners for any infractions of our fine Commonwealth's laws... Wonderful place to live. Atleast I opted for the tow hook holder, instead of maiming my front bumper cover wth the OEM license plate holder...

Mike
Old 12-09-2012, 11:34 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Yup, Good Ole Virginia... State troopers here get an all expense paid trip to their favorite destination if they write up Porsche owners for any infractions of our fine Commonwealth's laws... Wonderful place to live. Atleast I opted for the tow hook holder, instead of maiming my front bumper cover wth the OEM license plate holder...

Mike
Thanks for the write up. I am considering the Rennline Lic Plate tow hook thingy as well.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Expansion nuts...great idea! I'm not sure if the splitter mounting holes in my bumper have been stretched out from splitter(s) being ripped off the car by a previous owner, but I do know that the stock mounting hardware is basically useless on my car. Those expansion nuts are the perfect solution.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I just snapped my Cup lip clean in half, it was mounted with double-sided tape (not the strongest available), the stock plastic bits, and a bead of silicone per advice on this forum. I feel the plastic bits made no difference compared to the tape, but that's just a guess.

I hit a 0.5" rise in the ground, which would have been fine but it was on a downhill so the lip hit the rise dead-on. One part of the spoiler was pushed up against the bumper, the other downwards and sheared straight off. It came off without any damage to the bumper. I ripped off the other side of the spoiler and it came off without much trouble. Even the double-sided tape stuck to the spoiler so I have no cleaup!

Anyway, this is my first damaged spoiler, and I will be using the same double-sided tape and stock plastic bits because it "worked" for me!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Whatever works man... Only concern I have is that this splitter is WAY bigger than the stock or the cup car. I think it requires more secure mounting, which was why I did the expansion nuts. I am very happy with the end results.

Mike
Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 AM
BuckeyeDrew
Instructor

This could not have been a better timed thread for me. I am acquiring later this week a 6gt3 that needs a splitter.

Quick Reply: DIY on mounting fiberglass splitters