Sponsored by:

First time out 996 GT3 track

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 07:49 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savowood
tguaturbo, if you're going to H2R again, let me know. I'd be happy to head over and help. I've been there a lot and love to chase David and Monica around the track.

I need to head out there and do some suspension tuning on my car, and would be more than happy to help you out.

What have your times been like through the process? Are you under 1:30? 1:25?

-Michael
Went out late Tuesday, too late as they had closed the track for shooting guns and was planning to time myself that day so I have no idea yet. I was doing 1:28 in the 996 tt on a good day and 1:30 on an avg day.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:50 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by FFaust
Ok, makes sense then.

HI Express = Holiday Inn Express

The commercial that implied that sleeping there made you smarter

Here's a little something that I picked up in these pages. Food for thought.
Very helpful, thank you. Looks like I may have to make adjustments while at track to the sways.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:41 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Ok, so prior to feeling the rear bar adj, I went ahead and took the front bar also to one hole from full stiff so ft/rear the same. Went to track yesterday and today and felt the car to be much more planted and easier to point it where I wanted and rotate nicely through the corners.

Today I was able to get to my avg lap time that I had in the tt which is 1:30.2 very consistantly. I am taking 3 turns still in 3rd two of which I took in 3rd on the 996tt but I can tell that if I take them in 2nd in the gt3 I will make my way through them faster. Little by Little is my approach. What I noticed today was that there is a whole lot more grip than what I have been expecting and I just love how the car rotates and comes out of the corners and goes into them. Loving how little I have to just turn the steering wheel while on power and the car just seems to dance around a bit but in a perdictable way. Very very nice. A photographer was out snapping some shots and I bought a few which I will post once I get them.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:34 AM
bobsan
Instructor

....be even stronger out the corners if you fit half decent diff plates.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:24 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I can pretty much predict a few of the issues you are having.
1) braking too much - probably braking too late as well
2) not getting on gas early enough
3) not rounding the corners

Those are the typical issues that new GT3 drivers face, and they can be pronounced when coming from a Turbo.

Video and data would be helpful to get some internet coaching, but you really need someone in the right seat to motivate you.

FWIW, I've only been to H2R once, way back in 2010 (when the track was rrreeaaalllyyy bumpy). Here's a video of that event.

-td
Old 11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

sway bars settings primary role is to ensure your car`s banking angle at mid corner is set to provide maximum possible surface of a contact patch on your tires at both axles.

so, speaking about banking angle, it is all a combination of your factual springs rates (on custom shocks with stiffer springs you need less resistance from sway bars), it depends of what tires you use as it sets max amount of the cornering force you may experience, it depends of your driving style as well. it also depends of the rake angle you set and braking bias you have and of how you execute trailbraking shifting weight to front prior to corner entry.

a lot of drivers like to set front sway softer at first as it improves turn in traction when you go classic 'slow in fast out' late apex way, then as you start a transition to 'fast in fast out' with more early apex turn-ins and hard sliding of front axle prior to turn you start tuning to a max possible speed at mid corner with a max speed at corner exit priority, but it requires sufficient skill to handle corner entry at higher speeds and may be quite unsafe, so, there is no universal solution here how to tune your suspension. it depends of your own comfort level, your driving style and your goals. same aplies to shocks dumpers tuning.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

As u start softening the bar up front and keep rear stiff or one off U'll be rotating car with steering wheel vs throttle steering. Mike
Old 11-26-2012, 07:05 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by himself

Those are the typical issues that new GT3 drivers face, and they can be pronounced when coming from a Turbo.

Video and data would be helpful to get some internet coaching, but you really need someone in the right seat to motivate you.

FWIW, I've only been to H2R once, way back in 2010 (when the track was rrreeaaalllyyy bumpy). Here's a video of that event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH4zGzJd2KQ

-td
TD,

Nice vid, track is much smoother now and back straight kink is gone as well as other wash board prior areas resolved. If I read right, your fastest lap time was 1:27 ish and yesterday I got 1:30.2 so I have a ways to go little by little. The sweeping left at turn 8 "damn turn" was where the back end got away from me and I ended up track outside feild butt first, I see you had a good handle on that though.

Looks like you stayed in 3rd all the way up to Santa rita top of hill and I could not tell if you went into 2nd on the hairpin? Did you ever go into 4rth? Do you recall when if ever you went into 2nd?

Thanks for sharing, I had my track mate complete yesterday for the single session I did but not set up for video. Maybe I can get you the file if I can get me low tech butt into gear!

Tom
Old 11-26-2012, 07:06 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH4zGzJd2KQ

-td
Offer still stands to get down for a day to H2R on me so I can get you into my pass seat for some tips!

Tom
Old 11-26-2012, 10:54 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by utkinpol
sway bars settings primary role is to ensure your car`s banking angle at mid corner is set to provide maximum possible surface of a contact patch on your tires at both axles.

so, speaking about banking angle, it is all a combination of your factual springs rates (on custom shocks with stiffer springs you need less resistance from sway bars), it depends of what tires you use as it sets max amount of the cornering force you may experience, it depends of your driving style as well. it also depends of the rake angle you set and braking bias you have and of how you execute trailbraking shifting weight to front prior to corner entry.

a lot of drivers like to set front sway softer at first as it improves turn in traction when you go classic 'slow in fast out' late apex way, then as you start a transition to 'fast in fast out' with more early apex turn-ins and hard sliding of front axle prior to turn you start tuning to a max possible speed at mid corner with a max speed at corner exit priority, but it requires sufficient skill to handle corner entry at higher speeds and may be quite unsafe, so, there is no universal solution here how to tune your suspension. it depends of your own comfort level, your driving style and your goals. same aplies to shocks dumpers tuning.
I am on stock shocks and springs and Yokohama ADO8's for the time being. My home track went thru a time where it got pretty bumpy and then they fixed it but with such expansive clay soil that it is built upon, it can go bumpy quickly and still not perfect today even though it has improved. Thanks for the advise.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

TD, Did you have a rebuilt LSD on that run? From what I could make out, it looked like you went into 2nd at top of hill Santa Rita and down the hill as well as turn 7 far right corner and finally the hair pin. Good driving for the conditions of the track at that time for sure.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

^Nope on the rebuilt LSD. It was shot then. I just had it redone 2 months ago. So I drove it for over 3 years like that! doh!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 AM
bobsan
Instructor

that red belt warning light on dash would drive me insane:

[img]
Old 11-27-2012, 11:05 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by bobsan
that red belt warning light on dash would drive me insane:

[img]
I would never know they make something for that. Why not just buckle in over your 6pts?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

^Nope on the rebuilt LSD. It was shot then. I just had it redone 2 months ago. So I drove it for over 3 years like that! doh!

Ok, good to know. Today is D-day and I have an apt to take in the 3 to a local shop for a re-build with Guards parts from Matt. Something that I plan to do for sure and it is not even the money for me right now, my issue is the "down time" of the car. Getting into some nice days and days off for me which are typical for Dec-Jan where I would normally hit H2R 3 times per week if my tool is working.

I have had so many times that a 1 week job turns into a 4 week job on my cars that I am just not prepared to roll the dice during this time of the year. Going to call the shop and ask but most likely wait until the 100 degree days come in the summer time to do this mod.

Quick Reply: First time out 996 GT3 track