Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time out 996 GT3 track

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you leaving your front sway at 1 click from soft?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:51 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by tguaturbo
Ok, thanks for all the help! I tracked a 996tt for the record even though I owned a 997.2 ttS for a year as my dd.

I just for the first time adjusted my rear sway bar and took her to one click from full hard which was only one click stiffer from where it was. I owe big thanks as always to Mikelly and Himself for a walk thru. Took me an hour with lifting the rear and removal of back tires and the adjustment, ok maybe 1.5 hours with putting it all back together. My local tech said to torque to 48 ft/lbs which I did.

Now for day 3 and see how the change has affected things!

Tom
Tom

Rear sway are adj without removing tires or jacking. Make your self 2 ramps out of 2' x 6" one long on the bottom say 18" and a shorter piece on top say 9" drive up, set parking brake, slide under and adj bars. Easy Peezy On the front sways get rid of the self locking nuts and go to regular nut and lock washer. This allows you to slide one arm under the car, no lifting needed, and adj the fronts.

Peter
Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Yes, thought I would just try one end at a time.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Why is that a bad thing?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Tom

Rear sway are adj without removing tires or jacking. Make your self 2 ramps out of 2' x 6" one long on the bottom say 18" and a shorter piece on top say 9" drive up, set parking brake, slide under and adj bars. Easy Peezy On the front sways get rid of the self locking nuts and go to regular nut and lock washer. This allows you to slide one arm under the car, no lifting needed, and adj the fronts.

Peter
OK, thanks for the advise.

Tom
Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that after driving thru 4 pm traffic heading out of town for my 40 mile commute, when i got there super excited someone told me the track was closed. The Kelly Moss Motor Sports team who had rented the track for a few days to wind down from the f1 races were doing target practice with some cool auto and semi auto weapons and I was down range. I am a paying member too and no one informed me the past 2 days that i was out there that on tues starting around 4pm it was going to turn into a gun club.

I took it like a champ once I realized that the mgr Pete DeVries who I had spoken with on Monday about my car and the sways was still there with the rest of the crew guys. I had driven home yesterday and thought to myself, CRAP! I forgot to get his opinion on my potential lsd rebuild. So the good news was that I got to sit down with him and shoot the bulll and got his take on the issue. Also got his card and contact number for future help. Very very nice guy and as usual, loves to talk Porsche.

Really wanted to see how different the car would respond with the slightly stiffer rear sway, but OH well, it was ment for Sunday.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I did, here are specs:

LEFT FT RIGHT FT
-2.6 camber -2.6
8.8 castor 8.1
0.05 toe 0.00
LEFT REAR RIGHT REAR
-2.1 camber -2.1
0.08 toe 0.09
Front and rear sways set at 1 hole from full soft.
Hey Man,

Glad you had a good time with the car. Looking at your spec's and your rear toe is exactly where mine was when I first bought my car and it made the car quite spin happy, and I mean spin quick once it finally went. Perhaps this had a lot to do with me trying to get familiar withmthe car. NOW, once I had the rear toe adjusted to 2MM of toe in or .15 of an inch (I think) it made a HUGE difference and made the car so much nicer and confidence inspiring when at the limit. Once I became confident with the car, I was then able to start learning about REALLY driving the car, rather than the other way around.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Why is that a bad thing?
Nope not at all : ). ESP with a stiff rear. It rotates really well- my cup of tea. Mike
Old 11-20-2012, 11:13 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

I just for the first time adjusted my rear sway bar and took her to one click from full hard which was only one click stiffer from where it was.
Why is that a bad thing?
Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Nope not at all : ). ESP with a stiff rear. It rotates really well- my cup of tea. Mike
Yes, however...

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
OP- if it makes u feel abit better I spun 6 times my first weekend on track in the 6gt3 : ). Come into pregrid the blackflag man says "wtf?- two spins in one lap!!!". Mike
If I've got this right Tom, you are trying to settle down a tail-happy car, but have stiffened the rear sway a bit, effectively making the car even more tail-happy? That's why I was asking if you had left your front sway the way it was.

My instinctive approach would have been to leave the rear soft, but to stiffen the front, or to stiffen both ends as you had originally intended.

I'm no race engineer, but I know how my car feels, and again, I have full stiff in the front, and one from full stiff in the back. Oh, and I slept at a HI Express last night
Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

Yes, however...

If I've got this right Tom, you are trying to settle down a tail-happy car, but have stiffened the rear sway a bit, effectively making the car even more tail-happy? That's why I was asking if you had left your front sway the way it was.

My instinctive approach would have been to leave the rear soft, but to stiffen the front, or to stiffen both ends as you had originally intended.

I'm no race engineer, but I know how my car feels, and again, I have full stiff in the front, and one from full stiff in the back. Oh, and I slept at a HI Express last night
HI Express? Sorry but that when over my head. What I failed to mention perhaps what that I did notice the car pushing a bit at corner entry and mid turn in which is why I began carrying my trail braking pretty much to that point so that I could point the car a bit better. I thought if I left the front alone and stiffened the rear a tad I might dial that out. The tail happyness part of my first day out likely was me just not unwiding the wheel fast enough which only caused the rear to come around that much more and quicker. Still playing with it tho.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:18 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by Rovman
Hey Man,

Glad you had a good time with the car. Looking at your spec's and your rear toe is exactly where mine was when I first bought my car and it made the car quite spin happy, and I mean spin quick once it finally went. Perhaps this had a lot to do with me trying to get familiar withmthe car. NOW, once I had the rear toe adjusted to 2MM of toe in or .15 of an inch (I think) it made a HUGE difference and made the car so much nicer and confidence inspiring when at the limit. Once I became confident with the car, I was then able to start learning about REALLY driving the car, rather than the other way around.

Just my 2 cents.
I appreciate it bud, I think you and Mikelly might have not read the very next post where I corrected myself by realizing that I was looking at a old spec sheet for my tt.

I asked my tech to use what you have and got:

rear axle

.25 degrees RT toe .27 degrees LFT toe

total toe .52 degrees
Old 11-21-2012, 12:40 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

HI Express? Sorry but that when over my head. What I failed to mention perhaps what that I did notice the car pushing a bit at corner entry and mid turn in which is why I began carrying my trail braking pretty much to that point so that I could point the car a bit better. I thought if I left the front alone and stiffened the rear a tad I might dial that out. The tail happyness part of my first day out likely was me just not unwiding the wheel fast enough which only caused the rear to come around that much more and quicker. Still playing with it tho.
Ok, makes sense then.

HI Express = Holiday Inn Express

The commercial that implied that sleeping there made you smarter

Here's a little something that I picked up in these pages. Food for thought.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

I like FFaust's little cheatsheet above. I keep a handy little book in my car trailer that has something similar in it. It's a racecar chassis/dynamics book.

Tom the thing I notice about driving the GT3 is that it's so much more responsive and so much quicker in communicating to you when the car is fighting the input from the driver. The 996TT, with that extra 400-500 pounds, and especially the muted steering input due to the front drive, really slowed all that down and made me lazy. The GT3 doesn't give you that kind of time to reel it in.

Mike
Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 AM
savowood
Advanced

tguaturbo, if you're going to H2R again, let me know. I'd be happy to head over and help. I've been there a lot and love to chase David and Monica around the track.

I need to head out there and do some suspension tuning on my car, and would be more than happy to help you out.

What have your times been like through the process? Are you under 1:30? 1:25?

-Michael
Old 11-22-2012, 07:47 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by savowood
tguaturbo, if you're going to H2R again, let me know. I'd be happy to head over and help. I've been there a lot and love to chase David and Monica around the track.

I need to head out there and do some suspension tuning on my car, and would be more than happy to help you out.

What have your times been like through the process? Are you under 1:30? 1:25?

-Michael
Michael,

Is the the Englishman Michael? If so we have met before years ago. I will be out there this Sunday 11-25 around 10 or 11 am for the day. Shoot me a pm with your cell and I can call you. Thanks for your offer!

Tom

Quick Reply: First time out 996 GT3 track