Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have issues with cracking of Girodisc 350mm rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
68! 23 hrs! That's mammoth. Is that over 2 years?
Mine have 20 hc's and nothing like that yet.
Have you mailed them the pics?
I installed them in September 2011 so they've been on the car a little over a year.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnPG
Yep, they are toast. Pretty good wear though. Once I start seeing those cracks start to open up I know they are on the last legs.

Now, the next problem, getting replacement rotors from Giro. I've not been able to order a set since earlier this year they have been out of stock. Don't get the slotted and drilled as replacements. Those only last a few days.
Just got word from my supplier. Girodisc is switching manufacturers and should have the new rotors ready to deliver in 4-6 weeks. The new rotors should be a better quality than the previous ones from what I'm told.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does this mean they're not coming from Coleman anymore?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ken89911T
Does this mean they're not coming from Coleman anymore?
I wasn't aware that the Giro rotors came from Coleman. Do you know that for a fact? According to Girodisc, a different vendor is supposed to be making the new rotors and they are supposed to be a better quality. Different vane design also apparently.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 PM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW I would say you definitely got your money out of the rotors with that amount of track time on them,I wish I could say the same for my Girodisc rotors.

Below is an image of my front Girodisc after eighteen 25 minute sessions at Road America and five 25 minute sessions at Blackhawk. This is my second set of front Girodisc rotors for the 2012 track season, of which I was at Road America five times and Blackhawk once. I thought that I would get a bit more bang for the buck so to speak but I guess RA is brutal on brakes, as am I.

BTW I run cup front splitter, cup front brake ducts and run PFC-08 front and 01 rears with Endless race fluid. My calipers are factory bright red with nice white Porsche logo on them and dust boots are not excessively cracked so the calipers are not getting that hot.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 PM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I wasn't aware that the Giro rotors came from Coleman. Do you know that for a fact? According to Girodisc, a different vendor is supposed to be making the new rotors and they are supposed to be a better quality. Different vane design also apparently.
Not sure who the new supplier is but the rotor on the bottom in the pic below is my "old style" Girodisc purchased as a complete set of fronts and rears in February 2012, and the rotor on the top is the "new style" that I was fortunate enough to purchase around August 2012 the day after this new style was tested and approved for release. The rotor surface in my post above are the "new style"rotor with less vanes, after tracking a few events in the fall.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:05 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911S4
WOW I would say you definitely got your money out of the rotors with that amount of track time on them,I wish I could say the same for my Girodisc rotors.

Below is an image of my front Girodisc after eighteen 25 minute sessions at Road America and five 25 minute sessions at Blackhawk. This is my second set of front Girodisc rotors for the 2012 track season, of which I was at Road America five times and Blackhawk once. I thought that I would get a bit more bang for the buck so to speak but I guess RA is brutal on brakes, as am I.

BTW I run cup front splitter, cup front brake ducts and run PFC-08 front and 01 rears with Endless race fluid. My calipers are factory bright red with nice white Porsche logo on them and dust boots are not excessively cracked so the calipers are not getting that hot.
That's a very similar set up I run. 600 HP car, 6pot calipers, PFC 08/06 pads, 996 Cup cooling ducts, Endless fluid, high altitude brake intensive track - HPR.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Not sure who the new supplier is but the rotor on the bottom in the pic below is my "old style" Girodisc purchased as a complete set of fronts and rears in February 2012, and the rotor on the top is the "new style" that I was fortunate enough to purchase around August 2012 the day after this new style was tested and approved for release. The rotor surface in my post above are the "new style"rotor with less vanes, after tracking a few events in the fall.
The rotor on the bottom is the one I have. The rotor on the top is the heavier one with less vanes that is getting replaced with the new rotors due out soon.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 PM
911S4
Rennlist Member

That's a very similar set up I run. 600 HP car, 6pot calipers, PFC 08/06 pads, 996 Cup cooling ducts, Endless fluid, high altitude brake intensive track - HPR.
600 HP, wow very nice turbo...it must be a blast to track! I am not even in the same league with my factory 6GT3 motor and GMG WC full exhaust and ECU tune.

The rotor on the bottom is the one I have. The rotor on the top is the heavier one with less vanes that is getting replaced with the new rotors due out soon.
I will be very curious to try the (gen 3 rotors????) and can only hope they last a bit longer than what I have experienced so far.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:53 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

600 HP, wow very nice turbo...it must be a blast to track! I am not even in the same league with my factory 6GT3 motor and GMG WC full exhaust and ECU tune.

Thanks. RUF Rturbo, RWD with LSD, no PSM only ABS. It's a blast.

I will be very curious to try the (gen 3 rotors????) and can only hope they last a bit longer than what I have experienced so far.
Same here, hopefully they'll be out soon.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 71 Posts

My Colemans did this but never wore all the way to the point of cracking. I just kept an eye on them. and would use a caliper to check them before events as part of my "track prep". Bang for the buck, going straight to Coleman saved me a LOT of money. I want to say the friction surfaces direct from them were $350 per pair of 350MM fronts. I had 32 days on mine when I swapped New outers and hardware onto the hats.

Mike

Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikelly
My Colemans did this but never wore all the way to the point of cracking. I just kept an eye on them. and would use a caliper to check them before events as part of my "track prep". Bang for the buck, going straight to Coleman saved me a LOT of money. I want to say the friction surfaces direct from them were $350 per pair of 350MM fronts. I had 32 days on mine when I swapped New outers and hardware onto the hats.

Mike
A ha! Mike, I learn so much here. Did you get the rotors here? http://www.colemanracing.com/Brakes-C94.aspx

And if so can you provide the link to the rotors you ordered? Thanks!
Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

They do seem to last well depending on braking style. I have something like that on my Girodisks. Mine came off my GT3 two years ago with about ten days on them. Put them on my 996 GTB1 and then this fall my 997 GTB1.

Something on the order of 65 track days on them, maybe more - including a bunch of races. They don't show the kind of wear in these pixs - Pretty amazing. I think I had 45 days on the RS29's before I changed to Blacks for more bite - the pads were still good.

Rotors look healthy.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:21 PM
PointBy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing the original Coleman discs were too light. The Brembo discs use a 350x34mm 72 vane type III disc. More vanes = more heat capacity and less issues with overheating and resulting cracks. But you get what you pay for, the Brembo units are more expensive.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 71 Posts

I'll have to dig up images of mine and compare them... Mine lasted a really long time. I had sent them the originals I bought used from a member here (made by someone else) and they copied them. Original seller told me they were Coleman's and Larry at Coleman thought so too.

Old Vs. New

Spares...

If you send Coleman your "stuff" they'll make you new "better" stuff. I got in trouble on a couple boards for talking up the Colemans, but I get nothing from them and have had nothing but good results from them. The stuff just worked!
Mike

Quick Reply: Anyone have issues with cracking of Girodisc 350mm rotors?