Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 Radiator Prototype Rennline Screens

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 AM
pezza
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just about to do an install of the black version for Tom at Rennline, I have friends who have done this mod on GT3's and turbo's using sheets purchased from DIY stores but the GT2 bumper is a PITA as it has a centre slat across the radiator opening right across the middle and this section also creeps slightly inwards so you are trying to place a flat piece of sheet metal across something that's not level. I had a go at this myself using non pre cut mesh and it was really difficult to get the metal to match the opening so I gave up.

It looks like Rennline have overcome this by cutting the mesh to clear this obstruction so that it does fit flat, plus you have the neat fitting clips. Anyhow once I've fitted them over the weekend I'll post some photos up. I'm interested on how the clips work without interfering with the inner cowling (elephant ears) that feeds the air to the radiators.

Got to say thanks for the guys at Rennline as to be honest not that many GT2's around, so not a huge market for these but they have taken the time to produce a bespoke kit for our cars!

No affiliation to Rennline, just a genuine thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
I agree on the strong look of the nose without screens. However my car is 90% track and the stones that fly on the track outweigh the appearance. Also the grass is of less concern to me than the stones and the damage they cause to the fins of the radiator. I will bpnever disagree with Himself however the dents in my screens have me convinced that on the tracks I run stones are an issue.
I am definitely more lazy than most in this regard! Hate taking the front bumper off. Maybe once a year I'll vacuum the front and comb the small fins straight. After around 4 years of no screens, all the little pock marks have no appreciable effect on airflow or cooling.

So now you know the method to my system, inconvenience vs effectiveness. Might work really well, but when not there, I can't see any difference. And the one time I need to take the bumper off I curse like a sailor the whole time!

-td
Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pezza
I'm just about to do an install of the black version for Tom at Rennline, I have friends who have done this mod on GT3's and turbo's using sheets purchased from DIY stores but the GT2 bumper is a PITA as it has a centre slat across the radiator opening right across the middle and this section also creeps slightly inwards so you are trying to place a flat piece of sheet metal across something that's not level. I had a go at this myself using non pre cut mesh and it was really difficult to get the metal to match the opening so I gave up.

It looks like Rennline have overcome this by cutting the mesh to clear this obstruction so that it does fit flat, plus you have the neat fitting clips. Anyhow once I've fitted them over the weekend I'll post some photos up. I'm interested on how the clips work without interfering with the inner cowling (elephant ears) that feeds the air to the radiators.

Got to say thanks for the guys at Rennline as to be honest not that many GT2's around, so not a huge market for these but they have taken the time to produce a bespoke kit for our cars!

No affiliation to Rennline, just a genuine thanks.
I. Have the same feelings, it's rare in today's world for a company to do the RD time to create something for such a niche market. On our install of the prototype an issue was discovered after a full set of the screens had been made. Rennline destroyed the whole production line and made the correction which is why it's taken so much longer than originally anticipated. I for one am committed to purchasing parts from companies that place quality at the top of their list.

And I have no equity in Rennline just a loyaly client that apreciates quality.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:55 PM
pezza
Racer

Well I've installed the black rennline grills this weekend, very smooth install. The grills were a very good fit and featured a metal retaining piece for the horizontal plane in the PU opening, it sits behind the grill and stops the grill getting pushed back if a large stone etc hits it. Photo on the link below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9352003...7632844559425/
Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

That's a great look, can't wait until our set gets here. Thanks again to Tom and the whole crew at Rennline for doing these for us.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:30 PM
nycartdealer
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

I am about to take possesion of a 996 GT2 and these screens look like a good idea.
A question off topic if I may? The HP difference from the regular 996 turbo and the GT2 is that it has larger turbo's that were also used in the X50 package correct? Anything else?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

I recently heard a 996 TT gets from zero to 300km/h (approx) in 75 sec. A 996 GT2 gets to 300 km and back to stationary in 60 seconds. ie: The GT2 eats the TT.

Tech guru's chime in with more specifics re the changes!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

The gt2 has more HP, is lighter, has 2 wheel drive not 4 these add up to some substantial differences. There are many other subtle differences that enhance handling, However this all comes with a warning, you will not have 4 wheel stability, the rear end loves to come out which make the car turn better in the hands of a great driver and is wicked in lesser hands. We have gone to great lengths to control this with suspension upgrades. Thread is here
Old 02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
pezza
Racer

Originally Posted by nycartdealer
I am about to take possesion of a 996 GT2 and these screens look like a good idea.
A question off topic if I may? The HP difference from the regular 996 turbo and the GT2 is that it has larger turbo's that were also used in the X50 package correct? Anything else?
have a read of this article, my car was used for the photo shoot. Lots of info in here about the differences to the turbo.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...T2s&mid=335303

Quick Reply: GT2 Radiator Prototype Rennline Screens