Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me GT2 Complete Build and rescue of a Garage Queen.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 05:26 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,892 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I see you are running the rear 350mm dimpled PFC rotors. Were you able to retain your parking brake? I was told with PFC you loose it as the hats are not set up for it.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did not lose anything including the emergency brake system. Te changeover form the PCCB was direct and frankly the 01 compound stops us like the hand of god.

Highly recommend the conversion.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:01 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
We did not lose anything including the emergency brake system. Te changeover form the PCCB was direct and frankly the 01 compound stops us like the hand of god.

Highly recommend the conversion.
I run the 997GT3 PCCB 380/350 brake system (w/ iron floating rotors) and PFC 08s and its phenomenal. Much better than the previous 350/350 six pots I used. The larger 997 master cylinder makes a huge difference in pedal feel.

The reason I asked is that I was told the rear PFC hats don't accept a parking brake. I guess that's only the case for the slotted PFC track rotors and not the PFC dimpled street rotors.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:27 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

I'll check with my engineer on the slotted ones but I agree the stopping power is amazing, give you so much room to drive deep into the zone. Looking over your mods it looks like a great car.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:05 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer you question purely based on my experience and what I have been told by engine builders is that the deep core components of the GT2 did not get the same quality of parts as the GT3 based on a belief by the accountants that the GT2 would not be raced or subjected to the high stresses that the GT3 would.

Now of course all this was a mystery to me when I bought the car in fact logic says it cost more new so it must have better internals. The platform was similar so I did not look further.

What we discovered is the very heart of our motors the crank is not nearly as robust or even balanced as well as the GT3, in fact the crank appears to be cast. There are insufficient oil ports on the journals creating some issues, the rods are not as robust. Etc.

Now all this said I would never go back, there is nothing that compares to the heart pumping acceleration the GT2 has and we will rise again with the new motor, however it is a shame that Porsche allowed the Accounting department to override the engineering department on this flagship car that deserves to have the best of everything.
Just find that hard to believe, with all of the stock motor monster turbo builds that have been out and about…

On the contrary, boost a stock 996 gt3 engine and what will the outcome be? Just some food for thought.

Always two ways to look at anything, oh well.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

I'll check with my engineer on the slotted ones but I agree the stopping power is amazing, give you so much room to drive deep into the zone. Looking over your mods it looks like a great car.
Thanks for the compliment. When set up correctly these cars are absolutely amazing. I've been very fortunate to have Chris Cervelli help me with the set up of my car and the changes he's made have resulted in shaving 3 seconds off my lap times at HPR. He is still going to change a few things on the car like changing to the 996 cup uprights and fine tuning the spring rates along with the sways. The plan is to go from my 600f/800r rates to 800f/900r and switch to the larger diameter 305/35/18 rear tire (1" taller than the 315/30/18) to use in concert with 245/40/18 fronts. I should have everything swapped over later this month.

I'm sorry you've has issues with your motor but I think you just drew the short straw. I drive the hell out of my boosted RUF Rturbo motor and haven't had any issues (knock on wood) besides a failed valve lifter last year. There are plenty of guys out there producing some crazy numbers with their set ups without any issues. What I'd love to be able to do when it comes time to rebuild is to have a reliable 600hp motor that would rev to 8k like the GT3s (my Rturbo motor has a 7200 redline) If anyone has any input, bring it on!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

I'm glad you have had good success with your motor and the car setup does appear aggressive which I love. I hope that I did draw the short straw, but I would imagine that many of these great builds have swapped out some of the internal parts and worked on oiling issues. Of course that's just a guess as I have no direct knowledge. We will be doing a fairly powerful build on the next motor with some great torque and HP goals as well as bulletproof reliability.

Post a few photos of your car if you get the chance, always love the shots.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:19 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Post a few photos of your car if you get the chance, always love the shots.
Keep me posted on your engine build. Here a are few pics I dug up...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87731073@N06/9081631540/http://www.flickr.com/photos/87731073@N06/9081631540/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/87731073@N06/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87731073@N06/9079411671/http://www.flickr.com/photos/87731073@N06/9079411671/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/87731073@N06/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87731073@N06/9081627324/http://www.flickr.com/photos/87731073@N06/9081627324/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/87731073@N06/, on Flickr

Here is a video of the car in the early stages of suspension set up. This is Chris Cervelli chasing down a couple of 997 Grand Am Cups at HPR on 08/02/13. Not all that bad for a street legal car driven to the track on NT01s. With the new alignment, sway changes, and shock adjustment the car feels much better. I've since swapped over to the GT3 sways and will be tracking this weekend to further dial it in. Front uprights are going to be swapped over to GT3 Cup uprights which will work much better at my ride height.. I'm pretty happy where we're at with it so far...

Last edited by powdrhound; 10-22-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Here is a video of the car in the early stages of suspension set up. This is Chris Cervelli chasing down a couple of 997 Grand Am Cups at HPR on 08/02/13. Not all that bad for a street legal car driven to the track on NT01s. With the new alignment, sway changes, and shock adjustment the car feels much better. I've since swapped over to the GT3 sways and will be tracking this weekend to further dial it in. Front uprights are going to be swapped over to GT3 Cup uprights which will work much better at my ride height.. I'm pretty happy where we're at with it so far...

[/QUOTE]

Have you looked at the RSS lower control arms for that beast. Also which drop links are you running.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:04 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

http://youtu.be/4p1bpS_6gq0
Have you looked at the RSS lower control arms for that beast. Also which drop links are you running.[/QUOTE]

I am running the split adjustable GT3 LCAs with Tarett solid adjustable thrust bushings and monoball ends. In the front I have Tarett extended drop links and also Tarett links in the rear.

I enjoyed your pics from COTA. A group of us would like to come and run down there next year. Looks like a gorgeous facility.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

We had the shorter version of the tarret drop links originally but after seeing the difference on my SPB I have changed them out to the extended version on the GT2.

COTA is nice very nice in fact. It's a beautiful track however I actually like TWS better for driving. Once the next race date is set at COTA I will book the TWS track which is about an hour and a half away for the day before so those hauling from Other states can have two tracks to run. In fact if the dates work out we might be able to do a trifecta with MSR in Dallas then TWS at College Station and finally COTA at Austin.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:40 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

I like where you have the remote canisters mounted, both front and rear. Do you by any chance have some pictures of where exactly they routed the remote canister lines through the body in the wheel wells? I am assuming they drilled a 1" hole and used a grommet in routing the lines into the cabin.

Do you know what brackets those are that mount the rear canister to the Teq. bar?
Old 09-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

JUst received the renewal notice form our carrier and the rate seemed so go i wanted to pass the information over to others.

Leland West Insurance Brokers 800.237.4722 Stated value policy well in excess of 70k on the car. tehy allow unlimited millage, must be garaged, and locked up. cannot be drive to and from work please use only No track coverage.

Now the best part less than 2000 per year actually way less, this is in Texas with highest possible liability limits to ride under our umbrella.

Others might want to call them.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I like where you have the remote canisters mounted, both front and rear. Do you by any chance have some pictures of where exactly they routed the remote canister lines through the body in the wheel wells? I am assuming they drilled a 1" hole and used a grommet in routing the lines into the cabin.

Do you know what brackets those are that mount the rear canister to the Teq. bar?
Sorry been out of town and not in the shop. racing this weekend will get you the photos Monday.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 PM
LukeSportsman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you two help me a little on suspension:

6gt2 with JRZ RS pro, 2.5frt/2.0r with 8 degree caster, with Cup/monoball suspension, 275/335 on CCWs driven through Motorsport diff. Currently TPC sway bars are set soft, but might want to increase them in accordance to other changes. Current aero is 4" splitter @2" off ground and large Getty wing.

What I am unhappy with is the spring rate/setup. The previous owner for some reason (maybe to make better on street) reduced spring rates to 400/600 with unknown but very soft secondary springs. I know the car was initially ran with 600/800's. Can you two give me subjective feedback on your spring changes and what you did or did not like? Currently the car is too soft for my style as I'm used to stiff TB's and lighter cars.

I totally am in agreement with the inferior internal components. Our rods have the same short comings of the 993's. Not as if we didn't know these had problems 15 years ago. I'm replacing the more robust rods on my 3.3 and my GT2 is putting down 550 rwhp on these questionable rods!

Quick Reply: New to me GT2 Complete Build and rescue of a Garage Queen.