Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me GT2 Complete Build and rescue of a Garage Queen.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobsan
Your front Tarret drop links in the wrong position, get the longer Tarret droplink and connect to the correct perch arm and not the strut bolt. Connecting to the strut applies pressure to the bar and lifts the vehicle when steering locks applied, upsets handling
Originally Posted by fbirch
Great build and thanks for documenting on this thread. I look forward to seeing this car at the NOLA PCA DE.
Thanks really looking forward to your great new track and meeting new friends. Planning on coming in Wednesday so we can enjoy the food and city for a couple of days. Where better to spend Thanksgivig.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

I was out at TWS this past weekend in a DE and the car handles great and has lots of power. Many thanks to GMG and Performance Speed Tech for building me a great Car.

Of course i never hear the car since I'm driving but a couple of guys told me it sounded more like a jet than a Car and shot this video to prove it.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Just ran at the new track in New Orleans NOLA great track, good layout, beautiful facilities. Amazing what investing 68 million will do. Had a chance to play tag with a 997 cup and happy to say kept up.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for sharing. What rubber (type and size) are you using? The car looks to go very well.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by bobsan
Your front Tarret drop links in the wrong position, get the longer Tarret droplink and connect to the correct perch arm and not the strut bolt. Connecting to the strut applies pressure to the bar and lifts the vehicle when steering locks applied, upsets handling
+1000 I got a set and put them on turned the wheel and saw how it torqued the bar. I took them off and sold them immediately. geometry is ALL wrong.

Peter
Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 AM
bobsan
Instructor

Originally Posted by 85Gold
+1000 I got a set and put them on turned the wheel and saw how it torqued the bar. I took them off and sold them immediately. geometry is ALL wrong.

Peter
It does seem counter intuitive to invest vast sums on vehicle set up, then throw it all away with relatively cheap component that upsets the entire vehicle.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Guys

I do see the geometry and have spoken to the builder and the owner at Tarret. The geo would be better and we will likley upgrade at our next reset but the car is Handeling great and far better than a stock drop link ever has. Again thanks for the input.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
Thanks for sharing. What rubber (type and size) are you using? The car looks to go very well.
This was run on nitto nt01 set 27 left 26 right due to track config and temp.

245/40/18 front 315/30/18 rear.

Thanks for following our build.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

New to me GT2 Complete Build and rescue of a Garage Queen.

After the work AJ and the guys at Performance Speed Tech from Cresson Texas did this weekend the car is so well balanced that it seriously feels like it has has the handling of a 996 cup with tons of power from the Turbos.

I drove the car for the first time in DE Traffic and turned 1.22.21 on the first day at MSR CCW on the 1.7. Still tons of room for driver improvement, and of course learning the track, however the car is so set it makes driving a blast, a little edgy, and yet always in control almost easy. There will be small setup changes for every track and conditions we meet along the way but AJ has tamed the Widowmaker and still left her raw enough to have fun.

As you know we had the issue with the car being a little stiff on some of the bumps at TWS and to much camber causing accelerated tire wear and to much toe in the rear.

So AJ and his crew made some set up changes to address these starting with dropping the springs from 600/800 to 500/800 a larger than normal differential however it resolved the bump issues.

Our bump steer kit from GMG did wonders on the curve we are looking at less than 17/1000 over 1.5 inch bump travel in the front and less in the rear. Being this tight we were able to maintain a tight camber curve even with the Porsche designed lack of an upper control arm in the front.

Reducing the front springs brought on some issues with power on oversteer so we lowered the rear ride height by almost 1/4 inch and increased rear toe from .10 to .12 and added some length to the rear lower control arms from RSS bringing everything into balance.

Pyrometers now show less than 15 degree spread across the tires, and the car is well balanced from to rear.

All in a great day, my hats off to AJ it's amazing what a true professional Crew Chief can do when he sets up shop allowing guys like me to access his knowledge.

I'll keep you informed of where we go form here and hope to get out and hit the Tracks of the Southeast from New Orleans and Barber down to Sebring and Homestead and of course Daytona in late spring 2013.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 450 Likes on 268 Posts

Glad to see you are enjoying the GT2...

This was a very well kept car that was pampered throughout its life..

We sure do miss it at the shop but glad to see it is being used as it was intended.

Let me know if you need any more go fast goodies or if we can be of further assistance.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 12-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Fabryce. Your team created a great car. Many thanks it's really stable. Your adjustable thrust arms and the bump steer kit allow the car to transform the awesome torque into squat making the car very stable under acceleration.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

We are changing the wheels and rotating tires so often we cam to the conclusion that we needed to go to wheel studs. There has been a bit of talk about failures of these so we errored on the side of caution and purchased form the company that supplies most of the pro race teams including NASCAR GRAND AM and others.

Studs are just like the poster above referenced. They are a Motorsports item with cycle life and you never get more than you pay for. That said on our new GT2 AJ has selected studs due to cycle issues. Manufacturer is MSI racing products.

Cost is higher but as I seem to remember this is what holds the wheels onto my car at high and low speed turns, not a good time to scrimp IMHO

They offer many different sizes and fitments we chose the double threaded type. The website is
http://www.msiracingproducts.com/

The studs themselves are Machined from aircraft quality alloy steel and according to the company

•Undergo strict quality control procedures
•Finished with a baked-on HM-30 coating containing Teflon & Moly
•Twenty-four stock lengths available

Installed this weekend and have saved a bunch of time in just the first outing.

Good luck out there.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Meryl Christmas to all
Old 12-24-2012, 02:30 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats for the car, I saw your dyno pull and numbers on a dynojet.

I assume the number you posted of 429WHP and 421tq were in stock form.

I still miss my GT2, fantastic cars, and very fast, also not hard to drive like most people think.

+ 2000 on the drop links.... they will fail, is just a matter of when.
Just out of curiosity why didn't you replace the lower control arms with the Porsche ones, and why sway bar changes ?
Old 12-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

In Miami today enjoying your sun. Amazing weather. Best wishes to all. Jus tgoing out to the pool now.

Yes the dyno was at stock settings we were just trying to get some baselines so when I run stock we have a number to give out.

RSS LCA were recommended to me and I really like the fabrication and the customer service was excellent.

Witho he changes we have made the car is very easy to drive you just had to be aware of the HO and TQ and not be stupid.

Quick Reply: New to me GT2 Complete Build and rescue of a Garage Queen.