Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Currently at track... Low power beyond 6000 rpm. SOLVED !

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012 | 07:51 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHI
Well... Problem appears to be solved.

With no real options to diagnosing this at the track, I set out with the easiest avenue... to consume the fuel that was in the car and start fresh with gas from another station.

FIXED!

I believe that getting fuel from a station that had just been replenished (stirring up sediments) from the tanker to be the cause. Plenty of other track mates filled up many hours later and had no issues.

By principal, I ended up doing a one hour round trip to get fuel from Shell.

All that's left to do for the next event is to get the fuel filter changed.

Thanks for everyone's insight!!
The Stinson fuel depot and gas station just off the 417 in Arnprior (~25kms from the track) have 94 octane... Fri, Sat and Sun it's discounted 3 cents/liter. Usually ~$1.30/L on those days.

The gas station in question....Munfords in Calabogie are usually ~$1.50/L for the same 94 octane.

Old 07-09-2012 | 07:44 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SH || NC
So the sediment was stirred up, it clogged your filter, and when the fuel couldn't get through at a fast enough rate, that's what was causing the limited revs? Is that the conclusion? If that's the case then wouldn't the sediment still be in your filter?

Hey, I'm glad you're not missing any more track days , it just doesn't add up for me.

Have fun, be safe.
Originally Posted by LVDell
Not sure I buy that. Sediment would have to deal with two filters (station and the car). And now? It's solved? Just because the ground is wet does not mean it rained.

I can only assume that not only solid particles got stirred up during the refilling of a an empty reservoir, but possibly other immiscible liquids.

I will post my findings after the shop looks at the fuel filter and pump strainer. I also had some unusual whining of the fuel pump (less than a year old) on two occasions.

David.
Old 07-09-2012 | 08:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

My guess is "bad" gas not sediment gas. Bad meaning....could be old gas, mislabeled gas, user error putting in wrong octance, etc.

But then again it could be something totally unrelated to the gas. Sorry, just the stats guy in me doesn't blindly accept correlation as a cause/effect.

Good news is the car runs better
Old 07-10-2012 | 01:29 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Glad to hear about the happy ending Dave. When I read your post, I immediately thought of Steve's story from last year.

Steve, I meant to tell you on Sunday: Your car is a freaking beast. The sound, the colour, the stance, everything. When I would see you coming, I just knew that I had to get out of the way.
Old 07-10-2012 | 08:58 AM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

david, are we seeing you at mosport on friday to sunday?

glad the car is fixed, now its our turn to have another problem with the cayman

lack of power when we hit the gaz hard: probably the maf...

the gt3 is getting back on his wheels also long time!
Old 07-10-2012 | 12:51 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Originally Posted by FFaust
Glad to hear about the happy ending Dave. When I read your post, I immediately thought of Steve's story from last year.

Steve, I meant to tell you on Sunday: Your car is a freaking beast. The sound, the colour, the stance, everything. When I would see you coming, I just knew that I had to get out of the way.
I hope it wasn't my driving style that was scaring you...... Gotta love a well set up 6GT3. Actually I think our cars are pretty much identical other than the colour and the wing. BTW, would be great to do the late passing thing with you next time we're out together. That looked like a lot of fun.

As for Dave's gas experience, it is eerily similar to mine last year at Calabogie. They ran out of fuel at Munford's, and I was at the station when the tanker arrived. They filled me up first while the tanker was filling the underground tank, as then my friend with a 7GTRS was filled up next. Drove back to the track and within about 5 laps I had the rough running, rpm limited experience. The car was basically untrackable. Managed to burn about half a tank on the local roads and then dumped in fresh fuel and a small jug of Canadian Tire fuel line cleaner. Next day at Tremblant, the condition was much better and within 2 sessions, it was back to normal. My friend with the 7GTRS suffered more, as he had to trailer his car early at Tremblant because it became increasingly undrivable even after about 3 new tanks of gas. He ultimately had to replace his fuel filter to get the problem solved. I don't disagree that there may have been other contributing factors, but I gotta believe that sediment from the tank was the primary culprit. Glad it wasn't terminal.
Old 07-10-2012 | 06:11 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paseb
david, are we seeing you at mosport on friday to sunday?
Family vacation period will force to resume track activity mid August starting with Calabogie with UCR... on a WEEKEND, thank-you very much !!!

Glad to hear your car is coming together. Hope you sort the Cayman soon.
Old 08-09-2012 | 07:14 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

UPDATE...
Got the car in to my mechanic to investigate the state of the fuel system after that loss of power episode at the track mid-July.

Turns out that the fuel was indeed carrying an large amount of various sediment and particulates. Fine sand-like bits, metallic particles, rubber-like shards. The strainer on the fuel pump was partially obstructed as well as the filter. one would have to assume that there was no filter on the dispenser.

Lesson learned. No gas right after tanker delivery.
Old 08-09-2012 | 08:14 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Was this at Munfords again!!!
Old 08-09-2012 | 09:14 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dwane
Was this at Munfords again!!!
Yes. It appears I filled 2 jugs of fuel 20-30 minutes after the tanker came by to replenish them. They had ran out of fuel the night before.
Old 08-09-2012 | 10:31 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Originally Posted by DHI
Yes. It appears I filled 2 jugs of fuel 20-30 minutes after the tanker came by to replenish them. They had ran out of fuel the night before.
Good to know for future track days....see you soon

Quick Reply: Currently at track... Low power beyond 6000 rpm. SOLVED !