Sponsored by:

Data Acq. Display mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:33 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Data Acq. Display mounts

Tried this in Racing and Drivers education forum awhile back and while I got a few good locations they were not 996 specific and didn't seem to work as well as I"d like.

I bought the Ram suction cup mount for my AIM Solo because I knew it was going to be the easiest solution. However, having anything above the level of the dash I find somewhat annoying when I'm driving. I do realize on the track your eyes should be up and ahead but even with the mount to my left and as out of the way as possible it still somewhat bothers me that I'm loosing field of view.

I tried in front of the gauge cluster but it covers up too much vital info. Attempted to find a solution to mount it right of the wheel at about the same level it is now but with the shape of the 996 dash it's somewhat difficult.

I'm thinking a vent mount on the "horseshoe" vents would be ideal but those don't strike me as very sturdy and I worry it won't stay put. Possibly others have done this with success though?

I"d appreciate any pictures or ideas. Here's a picture of mine as it sits now.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything 'vital' should be able to be displayed on the display..err...you know what I'm saying. What do you think you'll be missing? Speed, Coolant temp, RPM....?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:31 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Mine is just the basic Solo, no OBII data so it doesn't really act like some of the other units that can be used in place of the dash. I see what you're saying though.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Ah - I was just thinking I should have asked what display you were using; I was thinking a dash type display, not the DL box.

There is a company that makes mounts that slide in between the moldings of the dash area - can't recall the name - but that might allow you to mount it just to the right of the steering wheel, not too far down from eye level
Old 05-10-2012, 03:54 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I have my DL exactly where yours is, but screen is a touch higher and the mount a bit further up the windscreen. Love the ram mount! Very sturdy, stays in place for weeks or months now. Try keeping you suction just there but pivot around the ball in a Z type shape so screen a bit higher. I just watch time and fcast time on my custom screen as that's all you have 'time' for while driving - the rest you download after to analyze but don't see a need to watch rpm or speed on the screen while on track. Road maybe to see how out your speedo is.

Also remember the accelerometers need to be calibrated everytime you move the mount, so if you set it up right and leave it in that posi, you don't need to recalibrate each time. Even for a non-dl solo the accel w lateral and longit accel are really useful so better to keep the mount in one pos. Just unclip the solo, plug into computer with RS2 and download and charge, but leave mount tightened and on the glass.

I shd add that I didn't feel comfortable re the loss of field of v but it's only in tight driver side turns and after 10+ outings it isn't as bad as I thought ... But I know what you mean Audi. I also struggled w placement - also tried velcro to dash - didn't leave a mark w 3m thinner sticky one - but then out of eyeline, so I opted for loss of vis on 1 corner over eyeline view 5-6 times a lap. Did u see utkinpol's? Also there's a cd player mount but likely nothing as sturdy as the ram. Next version will include a HUD !

One other option is move it way up hi on the windscreen to top corner to my rt, yr left which frees vu of cars front drivers corner, but I knocked it w helmet getting in so moved it.

Last edited by HiWind; 05-10-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 05-11-2012, 02:07 AM
cchan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SH || NC
There is a company that makes mounts that slide in between the moldings of the dash area - can't recall the name - but that might allow you to mount it just to the right of the steering wheel, not too far down from eye level
Mountek.

I just bought a SoloDL to replace my G2X and am trying to figure out the best route as well. I also bought the Mountek. I gutted out the "arms" and springs. Drilled two holes into the front piece so I can attach the Solo mounting plate. It puts the Solo in about the right spot (I'm not really looking at it on track). But, I'm not sure how much extra vibration/wiggle the mount picks up.

The other way I might go is to use the cup holder. This is where I mount my G2X display. Think of the cup holder hole as a really big hole you can pass a bolt through. I put a piece of wood on top and on the bottom, and run a bolt through with a wing nut, so basically the two pieces of wood "clamp" onto the cup holder. I attached small L brackets to the top wood piece, and attached the G2X display to them. This seems more solid than the Mountek, so I'll probably modify it for the SoloDL.

I can post pix later if there's interest.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by cchan
Mountek.

I just bought a SoloDL to replace my G2X and am trying to figure out the best route as well. I also bought the Mountek. I gutted out the "arms" and springs. Drilled two holes into the front piece so I can attach the Solo mounting plate. It puts the Solo in about the right spot (I'm not really looking at it on track). But, I'm not sure how much extra vibration/wiggle the mount picks up.

The other way I might go is to use the cup holder. This is where I mount my G2X display. Think of the cup holder hole as a really big hole you can pass a bolt through. I put a piece of wood on top and on the bottom, and run a bolt through with a wing nut, so basically the two pieces of wood "clamp" onto the cup holder. I attached small L brackets to the top wood piece, and attached the G2X display to them. This seems more solid than the Mountek, so I'll probably modify it for the SoloDL.

I can post pix later if there's interest.
Your cup holder idea is actually sounding VERY good. If I get time in the next week or so before I head to the track I may very well give that a shot.

I drove the car to work today with the Solo mounted where I showed it in the picture and when I'm out on the road vs. in the garage trying to find an issue wiht it I really wasn't bothered as much as I thought I would be. I'll probably keep it there for next weekend and then when I've got more time on my hands find a better solution for me down the road.

Appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

I considered that - search on fcracer in the 997 GT3 forum - just did not care for having to look so far over.

IMO, the RAM mount is great, solid, well made, and adjustable.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

Nothing against the RAM mount, I have a bunch of their stuff. It's just that some groups don't allow suction mounts.

Here are some photos if you decide to go this route.
#1: mounted on the cup holder. I attach my G2X display with screws/bolts through the holes on the small L brackets (obviously removed for this). I painted the wood pieces black so they don't stand out.
#2: The various parts to make this work... Top piece of wood is a 7/8"x1.5" piece. The bottom piece is a 1/4" piece of wood, I think it was trim or something. And just a long enough large screw/bolt with wing nut to "clamp" everything together, you can see the hole in the wood pieces where it goes through. The reason for the unusual shape for the bottom piece of wood is that it fits the shape of the bottom side of the cup holder.
#3: Have to carve off a bit of the left bottom of the top piece so that it sits flush on top of the cup holder.
#4: view from underneath when it's mounted, so you can see how the bottom piece of wood fits in.

Note that the cup holder can still slide out a little bit (for the second cup holder), so I usually run some tape through the hole and around the front edge to hold it in place. Mine isn't too loose so it usually stays by itself.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Data Acq. Display mounts