AIM solo DL+GT3 mk1??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 05:01 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default AIM solo DL+GT3 mk1??

Hi there
Any users for AIM solo DL + GT3 mk1 here? Just try to figure out if I should just buy the cheaper Solo if the DL version is not fully compatible with older GT3's..

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Search on driver Ed forum - extensive detailed coverage re what works and what you need. I downloaded a solo non dl off a mkI to compare to my dl readings on Saturday and was impressed how much the accelerometer gives u - all u miss really is rpm. You need to work out what ureally want. Those threads are excellent.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:21 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Yep I have read the threads already.. I also sent an email to AIM.
It looks it's basic Solo for older GT3's then. I agree the RPM would have been nice overlaid on video though.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:06 PM
HiWind
Race Car

This one ... https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=106503 ... But I'd say it's worth it for the dl although plain solo has lots of good stuff. Trailbrake.net also really good.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 AM
mus
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jarmo, did you end up getting the SoloDL for your mk1 996 GT3? I am considering it for mine, according to AIM it should work via OBDII with acceptable update speed if only logging one or two parameters (RPM and TPS in my case).

Would like to hear your experience with it. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:19 PM
JarmoL
Racer

Hi there

I bought the "regular" Solo as I wasn't sure how the compatability with the DL was.
I emailed AIM as well but never got any response.

It sure would be great to get the RPM at least! TPS would be interesting as well.

If you end up buying the DL let us know how it works for you. I might update mine if it really gives usefull data.

Originally Posted by mus
Jarmo, did you end up getting the SoloDL for your mk1 996 GT3? I am considering it for mine, according to AIM it should work via OBDII with acceptable update speed if only logging one or two parameters (RPM and TPS in my case).

Would like to hear your experience with it. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:29 PM
mus
Track Day

AiM have been very responsive to my requests. They say the DL works with the mk1 but the OBD-data will be slower than with CANbus vehicles. Monitoring two parameters should give approx. 10Hz data according to AiM. I think that should be sufficient.

I have ordered the DL, should be here next week. Hopefully I can present data from Paul Ricard after the 24th!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Mus here's my thread re RPM stepped data problem with 2001 ECU. DL is built for 2006 car on in truth.
thread

and this is from Jerry's thread of all the protocols that do work ...
beware as AIM wasn't really upto date on that detail in my experience with them
https://rennlist.com/forums/9920368-post46.html
Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 AM
mus
Track Day

Thanks for the input. What is the update frequency (step length in your graph, is it time on X-axis?) on the RPM? Are you trying to get other data out of the DME at the same time? Accordning to AiM you should turn off all the parameters that you are not logging.

It seems the bottle neck is not the ISO 9141/2 protocol itself but more the DME, i.e. how fast the computer can respond to the query from the data logger. The 996 GT3 mk1 (1999-2001) runs Bosch Motronic 5.2.2.

I guess I will see when I get it, if I'm not getting what they've sold me then it will go back.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:25 AM
HiWind
Race Car

yes its the DME's problem ...hence you cant fix by changing logging settngs
and when you add the data to a video the rpm movements in steps are totally useless really
for judging how your H&T is working etc...

if the shipping isn't too far away/duties etc.. it's ok to just wait and try it

Last edited by HiWind; 03-13-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 AM
mus
Track Day

I'm no expert in this field, but this is what I have been told: The computer responds to queries from the logger and returns the parameter asked for. It does this as fast as it can. If your logger is set to query several parameters the computer will use it's resources to reply to all these queries and therefore the information output frequency per parameter drops. Hence you can affect the speed of one parameter by not asking for the others, i.e. turning off queries for all parameters you do not need.

This sounds reasonable to me but alas, I have not tried it in my car so it might be purely theoretical.

I'm not sure you saw my questions: What is the output frequency you get on RPM? And how many parameters are you logging?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:47 AM
HiWind
Race Car

hey Mus - i got about 2 logs per sec on RPM and I tried cutting the logging downto minimm re others ie just accelerometers and a couple others ie 6-8. I'm pretty sure the issue is just DME speed. But let us know how it goes.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:16 AM
mus
Track Day

Originally Posted by HiWind
hey Mus - i got about 2 logs per sec on RPM and I tried cutting the logging downto minimm re others ie just accelerometers and a couple others ie 6-8. I'm pretty sure the issue is just DME speed. But let us know how it goes.
Thanks, this is a good data point. Interesting to see if the update frequency goes up if you turn the other parameters off. 6-8 others is a lot for the DME to handle.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:37 AM
HiWind
Race Car

I don't think so ... Ie I had many more on my 04RS working fine.
I'm including accelererometrs in my number. But let us know.

Quick Reply: AIM solo DL+GT3 mk1??