Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 GT3 mkII rattling noises

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:20 AM
JGT3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys.I just left the car to the Porsche garage.after a short test drive, they confirm that the 2nd synchro is gone Hopefully, repair costs are covered by warranty.
As gearbox will be down, what work, evo, would u suggest? Btw, I will finally know if a LWFW has been mounted.
Will keep u posted. Bye
J
Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Worn synchro solution

J ,congratulations on your new 996 GT3 it is such a fun car!Welcome as well to Rennlist there is a wealth of information on the site and some great folks to get to know.While you have the transmission apart you should check all the other synchros and the main pinnion bearing .I would be SURE that your shop does a VERY VERY clean and careful job .I would demand that the transmission fluid be changed several times in the process .You can be quite sure that there is bunch of metal in the case .Obviously you will have an opportunity to check clutch wear and if worn you would save some labor by doing it now.Some shops do take the motor out in this repair ,some do not,if they do it's an excellent time to check the wear on epoxied in coolant fittings .It might be possible given the worn synchro that the car has been tracked a bit and those fittings wear more in those conditions.best of luck with your new toy it looks lovely
Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 AM
JGT3
AutoX

Thanks for the advise. Actually once the gearbox has been open, they found that primary shaft lost a tooth. Told me that this can occur whit rought shifting at high rev... so for this time they take it under warranty, but not if it occurs again. Honestly I just drove the car less than 300 km on the road, so no abuse, even if I noticed that when the gearbox is "cold", it's a little bit cracking when shifting. For me it was a latent defect coming from the previous owner who tracked the car. I asked them to control all the main components of the gearbox and advise if there is something else to change.

BTW, I don't have the LWFW installed. Garage is proposing to install the one of the RS together with the RS clutch. I think I will do it, but I have one question : I know that pros / cons of LWFW has been extensively covered by other threads, and it results clear to all that there is additional noise inherent to LWFW. But not clear to me if for our cars, it will also lead to difficult starts or difficulties to climb steep slopes (as the one of my garage )
Thanks
J
Old 04-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Default LWFW

J,Glad your warranty covers the repair .Is that an aftermarket warranty you bought ,just curious if such warranties are offered in Europe like the U.S. ?
I think the Lightweight flywheel is dependent on what your plans for the car are.If you are planning on using it as a track car then you should consider it.If primarily a daily driver or weekend cruiser then I would not consider it.However I hope you are having the current clutch and flywheel inspected as it sounds like prior to your purchase that car was used pretty hard ,although that's not too big a deal as they are very very tough!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

If u going the route with Rs lwf/clutch mite as well do the Rs crank pulley. Are u changing the pressure plate as well? Mike
Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

996FLT6 what does the RS crank pulley do for you?
Old 04-29-2012, 05:12 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Nothing actually. Driven with regular and Rs- don't feel ne different. Supposedly liter but only pointed out if u doing everything else mite as well. Mike
Old 04-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Default RS Pulley

Thanks sounds like you have done a bunch to your car .I do have a small trailer to bring my tires/wheels to the track and like you hate the whole process of loading car on trailer etc....did your car start it's life with air and radio etc ?
Think you had posted 2820 as the current weight which sounds very strong .
I made the cardinal sin of driving a students 2011 GT3 RS at VIR the other day and he had done a bunch of weight reduction AND it was on full blown slicks it made my 996 3 feel pretty stodgy
Old 04-29-2012, 06:42 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JGT3
Thanks for the advise. Actually once the gearbox has been open, they found that primary shaft lost a tooth. Told me that this can occur whit rought shifting at high rev... so for this time they take it under warranty, but not if it occurs again. Honestly I just drove the car less than 300 km on the road, so no abuse, even if I noticed that when the gearbox is "cold", it's a little bit cracking when shifting. For me it was a latent defect coming from the previous owner who tracked the car. I asked them to control all the main components of the gearbox and advise if there is something else to change.

BTW, I don't have the LWFW installed. Garage is proposing to install the one of the RS together with the RS clutch. I think I will do it, but I have one question : I know that pros / cons of LWFW has been extensively covered by other threads, and it results clear to all that there is additional noise inherent to LWFW. But not clear to me if for our cars, it will also lead to difficult starts or difficulties to climb steep slopes (as the one of my garage )
Thanks
J

No cons but the added rattle.
The LWFW when combined with a street clutch is very user friendly even outside the track.

You may want to consider using the lighter 2010RS flywheel (actually an old CUP part) and the upgraded clutch and PP of the 2011 4l RS.

Good point from Mike, do the lightweight pulley. It's a matched part for the LWFW. We have a good DIY including information here.

Opening the gearbox is always an opportunity for regearing, either by altering the gears or/and using a shorter ring and pinion. If you plan to race the car you can study your favorite track and decide on the optimum gearing. Or you can simply shorten and match all gears for better acceleration and gear transition (better rpm drops).

Do a search here we've covered all these extensively.

Somebody asked about the Euro warranty.
I am attaching a PDF for the UK program that is very similar to the other European ones.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Uk warranty.pdf (399.6 KB, 787 views)
Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM
JGT3
AutoX

Mike, pressure plate is not in the list, but only LWFW, clutch plate, Clutch release bearing and guide tube. Also they did not propose the crank pulley. Do u think pressure plate should be replaced as well ?
HOM, in Italy where I live, you get 1 year warranty by law when U buy something to a profesionnal. In my case, the trouble is that if I track the car, I will loose it....
Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I updated my PP to a 3.8 RSR PP when I did the copans 4.0 ring-pinion/Guard 80/80 lsd plus the cup lwf(11 lb now I have 9 lb 3.8 RS fw) . I think stock PP should be fine unless the RS had a different PP (maybe it's the same as stock- not sure). There is an RS pulley so mite as well do it. If stock pulley- it shouldn't be an issue I ran stock pulley for well over a year. Mike
Old 04-29-2012, 07:09 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Horizontally Opposed Man
Thanks sounds like you have done a bunch to your car .I do have a small trailer to bring my tires/wheels to the track and like you hate the whole process of loading car on trailer etc....did your car start it's life with air and radio etc ?
Think you had posted 2820 as the current weight which sounds very strong .
I made the cardinal sin of driving a students 2011 GT3 RS at VIR the other day and he had done a bunch of weight reduction AND it was on full blown slicks it made my 996 3 feel pretty stodgy
Never ending road : (. As it sits wo gas/driver its ~2750. There's 150 lbs more but $$$ from there : (. Mike
Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

interior or lack of. Mike
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 AM
JGT3
AutoX

Hi to all . Finally I get my car back today, with the gearbox fixed and the RS LWFW installed. I'm really very happy. Gears are changing easily, the "bad" noise I heard initially disapeared and now I can hear the LWFW rattling .
Thanks to all for your precious advises and prompt replies on this thread. I have many other thinks to share ( such as the fact that I don't have the front spoiler lip) but I need to see if it already covered elsewhere in the forum.
Ciao
J
Old 05-09-2012, 05:47 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice JG! Well done - if you were having fun before ....

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 mkII rattling noises