Sponsored by:

Best Clear Protective Film?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM
ian996gt3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Clear Protective Film?

What protective films are you guys using? Is there one brand that’s better than the rest? Are you guys covering the whole front of the car? i.e. bumper, hood, and both front quarter panels? Or is that excessive?

I just got started on the track last fall with 5 days before winter hit. I have done 2 days so far this year and planning on another 20+ over the next 6 months. The front of the car seems to take a lot of abuse… so looking for the best way to keep the car looking as good as possible.

Thanks,
Ian
Old 04-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 169 Posts

Cover as much as possible. I have Expel which has yellowed a bit but did a great job protecting where I covered.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm covered to the back edge of the front doors. I only regret not doing the whole car!
I used Paintshield. It has saved the paint, but has yellowed slightly in 3 years.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 PM
CT03911
Banned

I had "Details By Dennis" install Venture film just recently. I have had 3M film before and thought it looked good.
This Venture film is outstanding.
I had the full hood, front bumper, half fenders, mirrors and behind the wheels done.
Incredible work, I am very impressed with the film and Dennis' attention to detail.
I highly recommend the film and his shop in Madison, CT.
If you look carefully at the pics, you will see the line for the half fender film. The hood is all one piece.
He even removed the lip spoiler to make sure the film wraped under the spoiler. Incredible job.
Around $1000.
Attached Images    
Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CT03911
I had "Details By Dennis" install Venture film just recently. I have had 3M film before and thought it looked good.
This Venture film is outstanding.
I had the full hood, front bumper, half fenders, mirrors and behind the wheels done.
Incredible work, I am very impressed with the film and Dennis' attention to detail.
I highly recommend the film and his shop in Madison, CT.
If you look carefully at the pics, you will see the line for the half fender film. The hood is all one piece.
He even removed the lip spoiler to make sure the film wraped under the spoiler. Incredible job.
Around $1000.

+1 on Dennis he just did my car with this stuff great job looks great.
Elliot
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Mike in CO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ian996gt3
What protective films are you guys using? Is there one brand that’s better than the rest? Are you guys covering the whole front of the car? i.e. bumper, hood, and both front quarter panels? Or is that excessive?

I just got started on the track last fall with 5 days before winter hit. I have done 2 days so far this year and planning on another 20+ over the next 6 months. The front of the car seems to take a lot of abuse… so looking for the best way to keep the car looking as good as possible.

Thanks,
Ian
I just had a well-respected local clear film guy recommend against putting film on my black car because it had 20,000 miles on it and it was "too late". He said the film would not look right, and it would make the pits in the front bumper more visible. He said that even if I took the time to touch them up (Dr Colorchip) it would just make the surface bumpier and make the problem worse.

Has anyone put film on a dark car that wasn't new? How were the results?

Mike
Old 04-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

cover every surface the wind hits. I use the tear-off guys. James. Don't forget your windshield !!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

^ what tear offs are available for windscreens? and do they work for road/track cars?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:49 PM
j foster
Intermediate

I had 3M on my white 04 for 4 years and it yellowed badly and was tough to keep clean. I took it off and will load up on wax.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Absolutely the most important item to protect- $900 windshield. tearoffguys.com
James- 845 355 TINT. Tell him Bob Fischer referred ! All the race teams use. Awesome. Check out the web site and you-tube from Rolex. Not sure about South Africa though. lol
Old 04-04-2012, 05:09 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Thanks fish/bob - you right we don't get it here but used to USPS by now

Thing is getting it here without bending I guess. I'll check them out - thanks!!

Ps - I think we get replacement screens cheaper than $900 but without the embedded aerial; more like $600 I think.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in NJ
I just had a well-respected local clear film guy recommend against putting film on my black car because it had 20,000 miles on it and it was "too late". He said the film would not look right, and it would make the pits in the front bumper more visible. He said that even if I took the time to touch them up (Dr Colorchip) it would just make the surface bumpier and make the problem worse.

Has anyone put film on a dark car that wasn't new? How were the results?

Mike
Mike ,
'I just did it on a 07
See pic above looks great
Elliot
Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Default do you like saying "Ask me how I know"?

I should just share some of my experience on this issue although I don't have a great pic's to load now - if you look at the slightly whiter sections highlighted here they are all effectively unprotected. I had the best 3m product applied and looks fine etc.. but ... look between the red lines or in the red boxes and altho grainy (and shadowed) you will get an idea of where I got mine wrong - not sure it can be perfect - can it?? - without using overlapping pieces of film but (as Mike likes to say) NEway ... those are where I have exposed edges and uncovered paint.

One of the key things to discuss and agree with your fitter is how and where the cut lines will be and how the cuts will be either concealed or 'treated'. The issue with the cuts is that:
1. they leave an edge which can pick up dirt, peel, delaminate etc..
2. they usually result in something being left uncovered

The vents on the lower part of the bumper - lots of stones etc.. - are rounded and difficult to cover with the film properly. So what usually happens is the front facing paint gets covered but the sides or corners are left uncovered as fitters like to fit a single piece of film and when they are fored to cut it for angles/corners etc... it means you have issues 1 and/or 2 above.

I'm happy with mine - the bonnet and fenders etc.. - but I think a real pro could have resolved these better, and I should have looked for these issues before hand. Hopefully this help you do the same so you don't have to say "Ask me how I know"
Or maybe the pre-cut car-specific product in the US allows for this - I just used the 3m 250(?) micron roll.

So what I'm suggesting is that you look at the bumper closely with the fitter and he explains:

1. what will be done where he needs to cut
2. with things like the hole for toe hook, bumper plugs (arrgh!), indicators - they must cut so that the film covers the entire front facing paint and ends inside/behind the bumper/in a hidden way. They should not cut around it (as with mine - see partial around tow hook, hence the way I stuck my toe arrow on to cover the uneven circle cut). And if the plug cover is in, take it out, cut a smaller hole in film than the bumper hole, and then replace the cover (also covered with film) afterwards.

Garage Queens can stop here - One last point I'd make is DONT cover under the bumper (the area where the splitter attaches) as should you lose your splitter (AMHIK) you'll scratch up the film properly and then need to cut it off anyway, so the cutline shd be just above the splitter or just inside the top lip of splitter.

Hope that helps - go get sticky
Matt
Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 AM
FNWY2004
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had the XPEL Ultimate film installed by Unique Car Care last week. Rick did an outstanding job and the car looks great! I read some really good feedback from others who have used this. I had the bumper, headlights, whole hood, fenders, side skirts, area in front and behind the rear wheels covered. The product is extremely clear and you can't even tell it's there. It also has self healing properties for light scratches. There are videos on youtube of it. Also, can be cleaned with some pretty harsh chemicals without destroying it (I'm not going to attempt this) Here are a few pics.
The 3rd picture is a hood closeup. Hope this helps. Also, see this post.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...mate-film.html

Last edited by FNWY2004; 03-16-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:02 PM
ian996gt3
Advanced

Thanks guys for all the posts. They have been very helpful!

Quick Reply: Best Clear Protective Film?