Sponsored by:

Alignment for a 996 GT3 with Hoosiers

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Rennthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment for a 996 GT3 with Hoosiers

It's a new season and possibly time to try a new alignment? Curious to know what's been working for other 6GT3 folks running Hoosier R6s. Camber, caster, toe? What works, what doesn't?

Thanks in advance!

(note that stock 6GT3's cannot adjust caster).
Old 03-21-2012, 01:46 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Soich done broked? Kussmaul and variants (Kassumaul, Kassmaul, etc).

-td
Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Depends on your driving style. You really need to get get a "baseline" setting on the car and then run with the Hoosier with somebody taking pressures and more importantly tire temps across the surface throughout the day to get a good reading of what the tire needs. Obviously you can do this a few times a session as you want to come into the pits HOT after everything is fully up to temp (3-5 laps).
Old 03-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

^ what Dell says, plus look seriously at higher spring rates when running Hooters....
Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Exactly. Great point

It is important to understand that while you can run Hoosiers on the stock suspension, it is not the optimal setup as the spring rate of the tire will overpower the stock setup. The shop that really knows what they are doing will be able to match the spring rate of the tire to the proper spring rate range for your car.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Rennthusiast
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, some great info here. I just moved cities and am trying out a new shop; he's setup plenty of race cars but I get the impression not a lot of 6GT3s. Going to start with Camber/Toe of -3.3/0 in the front and -2.3/2mm total in the rear. Open to input.

Great point about the suspension, upgrade is on the list, now with a higher priority! :-D
Old 03-21-2012, 07:01 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Search for Kussmaul and you'll get a great information on alignment. These 996 GT3s have had loads of setup gurus tweaking them, but for the most part, the Kussmaul baseline works. Tweak to suit and you're golden.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ification.html

The settings are below. I am set up a little more agressively on front camber (-2.6) and front toe (zero), but about the same on the rear. Also, my ride height is a couple mm under Kussmaul.

If you are in this range, you should be fine.

-td [sorry for the snarky remark in my first post, but there is a plethora of info on alignment, so I was suggesting a few hours of light reading ]

Name:  Kussmaul Alignmnent specs.JPG
Views: 1171
Size:  45.3 KB
Old 03-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Rennthusiast
Rennlist Member

No problem, thanks for responding. Read through the link, some good stuff in there!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:09 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennthusiast
Thanks guys, some great info here. I just moved cities and am trying out a new shop; he's setup plenty of race cars but I get the impression not a lot of 6GT3s. Going to start with Camber/Toe of -3.3/0 in the front and -2.3/2mm total in the rear. Open to input.

Great point about the suspension, upgrade is on the list, now with a higher priority! :-D
As others point out, car set up and your driving style makes a big impact on your alignment needs. Alignment you are starting with is reasonable start in my experience for stock setup. Watch tire wear closely - at least at end of each day. you may find rears wearing excessively on the inside due to too much camber - the rears are so wide they need less camber. If wear is excessive you can have the tires flipped on the rims after a couple days to even out the wear before you cord the inside edges - then consider reducing the camber a bit. Watch the fronts for excessive wear on the outside edges, if you are aggressive in the corners.

FWIW I run stiff springs, 750F/900R, and set camber at -3.5F/-1.9 R.

Quick Reply: Alignment for a 996 GT3 with Hoosiers