Sponsored by:

First outing in the 7GT3. Thought on the 7GT3, 6GT3, and 991S

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by smsarchitects
you are using 6th gear on both straights with a stock gearset on the 6GT3?

Never said that was a stock gear stack.

The gearbox was re-geared and I got 1 event at VIR with the new box before I sold the car. I was able to use 6th gear on both straights. That video is what is post in this thread. It was not posted to compare a stock 6GT3 to the others but rather to show where I was when I left that car. The only "stock for stock" example was the 7GT3/991S comparison.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Nice write-up Dell. FWIW, I have tracked a 996 GT3, a 997.1 RS and now a 997.2 3.8 RS.

Best bang for the buck - 996GT3. 997.1 RS - same lap times as the 996GT3. It is a more comfortable car - quieter, smoother and less punishing as a DD that the 996GT3. As a track only machine - other than the looks, no advantage. PAG added some power but also weight for a zero sum.

The 997.2 RS is quicker than either the 996GT3 or the 997.1 Requires fewer mods out of the box, no understeer like the 997.1 which was horrible and needed a GT2 rear roll bar for balance. The .2 RS is more like the 996 GT3, noisy as hell since they took out the sound deadening they added to the 997.1 - the weight loss is noticeable and the power increase moreso. The brakes are a big improvement over the 996GT3 - rotors last much longer that the overheated 996 version.

Based on what you say about the 991, the next GT3 and RS should be very special!

Best,
Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Bob. I would love to move to a .2 but the wife was not happy when I tried to rationalize my need to increase the budget

From all the talks I have had with guys from the forums and one long phone conversation with mooty, I am certain I bought the right car. But not to worry. Dell will be back in a 6GT3 in the near future as that is truly an amazing car on track.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
But not to worry. Dell will be back in a 6GT3 in the near future as that is truly an amazing car on track.
Oh no, mothers lock up your 6GT3 Cups - Dell is on the prowl!!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:48 AM
vtwin996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add Content
Old 03-24-2012, 03:54 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice vids Dell and great save there! I also really like the clean electro-dash you built - is that dashware?

Watching that save again I'm amazed at how quickly you snapped into the counter steer and yet no 2nd round bite back if you get what I mean - was that (ironically) the PSM actually helping instead of hindering the 2nd time around?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by HiWind
Nice vids Dell and great save there! I also really like the clean electro-dash you built - is that dashware?

Watching that save again I'm amazed at how quickly you snapped into the counter steer and yet no 2nd round bite back if you get what I mean - was that (ironically) the PSM actually helping instead of hindering the 2nd time around?
Thanks

THe video is from my SmartyCam GP. It does data overlay on the video in real time so I don't have to do anything

Let's just say that my saving skill has been something that I take great pride in knowing I can trust my ability and also that I saved myself from yet another possible divorce proceeding

As far as the PSM, there is no PSM on the car (my apologies if you meant PASM). Just has TC (traction control) which I run with in the off setting as I don't trust the car to save me nor do I trust what it will do. I think the lack of the 2nd direction change bite is a combo of skill and luck in applying the right amount of throttle and steering angle in each violent transition.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:51 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmmm smartcam looks nice....and easy! Synching vid and data can be tricky, slow.

yes I meant Pasm, thanks - but you mention that nannies are 'always there' in the OP. I figured it meant you couldn't turn them off but I see the difference between TC and suspension dampening adjustments better now - while the former usually just robs you of power to prevent you getting out of shape, the later can get things more confused due to how it (mis)interprets road surface, conditions etc..

Ps - tempted to swop your 7 for Serge's Monster 6?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:38 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Easy is an understatement when it comes to data overlay--you need to do literally nothing once you set up the gauges you like in the software. I really like the system better than anything I have used in the past.

Yea, with TC off I don't have to worry about the braking input the car uses to control a slide. I get to use steering angle and throttle application to control it myself. As far as the PASM system, yes, I think it is still PASM is a serious PITA that I just need to get used to and adapt my driving style as it is trying to change the dampening based off the surface changes rather than the driver. I don't want change, I want consistent and then I can drive accordingly. Just one more thing to change in my driving style.

As far as the Serge special, yes that is temping but I am 99% sure that when I am ready for a dedicated track car again, it will be a 996 Cup. Amazing car and for the price, the street version makes no sense for me anymore. I am tired of spending the kind of coin I have on street cars. My 7GT3 will probably just stay in its current stock form. The only thing I might add in the coming year is factory buckets so I can run my HANS device.

Last edited by LVDell; 03-24-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:38 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for posting the video's and comments.

One of these days I am going to make the long trip to VIR. The video shows your comments.

The 6GT3 looks raw and the 7GT3 looks almost calm/peaceful. The video makes it look like to different drivers.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:01 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

It was two different drivers......the good driver Dell and the rusty driver Dell
Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 PM
ColoradoGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dell,
Just to clarify the first line of this beginning post.....6GT3 most fun on track....

I would agree. They don't make 911s like that any more. I have also recently driven a 991S. They can't make any more coastline in California, and they aren't making anymore
6 GT3s. I don't necessarily want to be "that" guy, but when I got out of the 991S, I wouldn't have traded even for my GT3.

Call me old school if you would like, but how many 6GT3 cars remain in North America?
And why do we sell them for so little? I think that it is time for the 6GT3 owners to wake up and realize that we are in possession of a very limited production, very special 911.
I don't care how much a 997 GT3 or a 991S costs, we should base our valuation of our car on what it is, not what the others aren't. I predict that there will come a day in the not too far future when we will all wonder why we didn't stock up on these cars when they were "only" selling in the mid 50s. Think about this long and hard before you put a price on your GT3! Will the market price these cars, or will it be the owners?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:17 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I wouldn't take under $70k for mine.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,747 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGT3
Dell,
Just to clarify the first line of this beginning post.....6GT3 most fun on track....

I would agree. They don't make 911s like that any more. I have also recently driven a 991S. They can't make any more coastline in California, and they aren't making anymore
6 GT3s. I don't necessarily want to be "that" guy, but when I got out of the 991S, I wouldn't have traded even for my GT3.

Call me old school if you would like, but how many 6GT3 cars remain in North America?
And why do we sell them for so little? I think that it is time for the 6GT3 owners to wake up and realize that we are in possession of a very limited production, very special 911.
I don't care how much a 997 GT3 or a 991S costs, we should base our valuation of our car on what it is, not what the others aren't. I predict that there will come a day in the not too far future when we will all wonder why we didn't stock up on these cars when they were "only" selling in the mid 50s. Think about this long and hard before you put a price on your GT3! Will the market price these cars, or will it be the owners?
right on. but many aren't so smart.
like me.
now i learn.
should you or anyone want to sell, PM me.
ragged cars need not apply, i have extremely high standards as Dell does. my race cars are prettier than most concours cars.

i need to stock up on 6's
Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Money talks

White w/ factory white wheels
Pccb
A/c delete
All stock
<9000 miles

Quick Reply: First outing in the 7GT3. Thought on the 7GT3, 6GT3, and 991S