Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

Classless post.
Would not have expected any more from you. Clueless
Old 02-10-2012, 06:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Alan, you must be drinking early on a Friday as you seem to be blinded how inappropriate your post was. 2 things you don't ever do when it comes to the track and the topic of mishaps:

1. Single out an individual with respect to potential harm or damage

2. Relish in the harm or damage somebody has experienced

To single me out is 100% classless. I would never wish harm on person or property on track and it makes my stomach turn into knots when I see it happen to somebody. I have had friends damage their cars and I have even lost a good friend to a track mishap yet I would NEVER say the things you have nor will I overreact like the Ohio PCA region has. I take my safety on track very seriously but this is not something that merits the mandate the Ohio region has put forth.

You apparently were on the unfortunately side of a track mishap and I feel terrible that you had to go through that. However, the reality is that is what happens on track from time to time. It comes with the sport. We minimize the risk as best as we can (safety equipment for us, insurance for the car, etc). However, in a DE environment where people are driving stock cars to have them endure an expense as the result of that overreaction sets a very bad precedent and opens up a can of worms for what else you will mandate on every brand and model of car and the maladies (real, potential, or unfounded) they have.

Back to your cocktails..................
Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by himself
I agree that the region is going overboard. But it's not that difficult to switch to water/wetter to comply. Although the welding solution proposed for a DE is pretty ree-diculous. Especially if your car is still under some type of warranty.
Totally agree. However, most DE guys are not nearly as DIY competent as the rest of us. To take their car to the dealer to drain the coolant, fill with water and water wetter (if PCNA even allows that while under warranty) and then go back after the event to have it refilled and pressurized starts to make going to a DE very expensive (more than it already is). The whole goal of the DE is to help people better drive their street car in a controlled environment. A street car having welded fittings and/or asking for coolant flush with water isn't within the scope of the DE spirit.

In addition, many guys have been told by their dealer that welding the fittings will void the warranty.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

There has been one post as to what OVR might do. So I don't think anyone other than those in charge of OVRs DE know for sure.

Dell, I said 'if you become a data point...'. If you consider that as singling you out for some mishap you're mistaken.

From other threads there appear to be more than 1 our 2 cases of blown coolant on the track. And I really do hope you don't find yourself skating into the wall. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I'll leave the cocktails to you.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

No sense in taking this any further as you don't seem to understand that saying "Dell" isn't referring to a specific individual.

No worries. Maybe it's the lost in translation nature of the Internet.

I do believe it is about cocktail time. Pouring as I type
Old 02-10-2012, 07:58 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Many excellent points here.

I believe it comes down to where do you draw the line on risk and safety measures. I think this PCA Region is doing the wrong thing.

How about the risks created by repairs and/or non tested modifications made by unqualified people ?

Old 02-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea what the actual statistics and risk of blowing a coolant fitting are. But, I already blew a coolant hose because a plastic strap holding it in place loosened up and allowed the hose to rub on part of the drive shaft. Then while having that repaired we noticed 2 other metal cooling lines were also rubbing so I replaced them. I dropped my 3 at the shop yesterday for the fitting repair and shop owner showed me 3 cup engines out for same type of repair. OWner said these fittings blow all the time. So it surely seems to be an issue with above average probability of happening on our cars but exactly what the failure rate is, is still a question. I tend to think the probability will increase with age but of course that too is just an assumption. For me, I've lost enough confidence that I'm just doing it. If mine blew on track and someone got hurt I'd look back and say the whole thing was preventable. Not preaching, just expressing my point of view.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^ +1. When it blows it's a gusher. Hate to imagine if that was coolant spraying the whole track and the carnage thereafter!!! Regards. Mike
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2012, 10:40 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been going to the track for exactly two years, 15 days the first, and 30 days the second.

During those two years, I have witnessed 3 events of blown fittings first hand, and slipped around in 2 of them. Was also present for a few of the hoses splitting, but that's another story... although one that can also benefit from Water Wetter.

I would say that these failures are real, and I agree with OVR's policy. Actually surprised that more regions are not doing it.

Water Wetter is not a hardship for me: flush twice, once in the spring, and once in the fall, and that's only because it gets cold here.

If the car behind me dumps water or water + water wetter, it will likely be evaporated by the time I come around. Not so for glycol.

Not trying to convince anyone, but that is my opinion, and that is why I run with ww.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

BTW, events I have seen seem to be at the end of the fastest straight: Turn 8 at Mosport; at the bus stop at The Glen???
Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

FYI....in all the years I have been doing this I have been involved in one "oh ****" moment. It was a coolant dump. But was it by a GT car? No. It was a 928. The reaction is understandable but remember, this crap happens with more than just the GT cars.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Mine happened on the two longest straights at Thunderhill -120 mph before t14 and 138 mph at t1(gt3 speeds). Mike
Old 02-10-2012, 11:45 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LVDell
FYI....in all the years I have been doing this I have been involved in one "oh ****" moment. It was a coolant dump. But was it by a GT car? No. It was a 928. The reaction is understandable but remember, this crap happens with more than just the GT cars.
I know, and it's very odd, it's weird that I've seen it so often first hand, yet some, such as you, have not. And you've been doing it for a lot longer than I.

I've asked the techs at a few dealerships, and contrary to what one might think, they don't see that many either. And I'm "almost" certain that it wasn't just the company line.

Same goes for race teams, some aren't even aware of the issue, while others, such as mentioned above, systematically do the repair???

Old 02-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

If I was the victim of this I would be up set. The last Race I was involved in when a oil line broke(not mine) Some one was killed. Of course I do not have as much expertise as many on this forum.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:34 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a coolant hose "split" on my 6GT3 on a very hot track day back in '07 or '08. Luckily, it blew on a slow speed turn so I had a controlled spin. Two other cars spun off the track due to my coolant leak. It was a mess, but no one was hurt or cars damaged.

I have not personally seen the epoxy problem, but have heard enough stories to believe it is a real issue. The problem as I see it is that coolant will spill onto the left tire, and at speed this will cause a major problem.

You guys speak of "coefficients of friction"... I had been under the assumption that water+ water-wetter would be less "sticky/slick" than coolant. Is this not true?

-B

Last edited by blake; 02-12-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Coolant Pipe Failure & PCA