996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Pipe Failure & PCA

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012 | 12:59 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Been on my mind every track event since buying this car and hearing of issues, then happened to me just 3 weeks ago. Fortunately I had just changed all fluids as well as coolant for water wetter. A couple of good slips and timely meatball flag then I smelled it and knew exactly what it was and pulled off. Very grateful I didn't foul the track and take anyone off behind me.

Now the fix. Might have to be lower hose/fitting I can reach for now and balance of this season before welding all properly.
Old 02-15-2012 | 01:18 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Eric, if you don't mind, please post in Registry at top of the 997 GT3/GT2 section. One more for the list.
Old 02-22-2012 | 12:04 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

New twist to this issue. My car was one of the cars damaged at Mid-Ohio last Fall. I was 1 of 4 cars that ended up in the gravel trap and slid into a turbo. As noted in the 'Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Registry' the coolant was laid down by de old gray wolf? After paying north of $15000 out of pocket for my own damages plus the loss of value when I traded it for the GTS I have now been hit by the other guy's insurance for $19000 plus.

This puts a new spin on watering down the track. I'm exploring all of my options.
Old 02-22-2012 | 08:05 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan C.
New twist to this issue. My car was one of the cars damaged at Mid-Ohio last Fall. I was 1 of 4 cars that ended up in the gravel trap and slid into a turbo. As noted in the 'Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Registry' the coolant was laid down by de old gray wolf? After paying north of $15000 out of pocket for my own damages plus the loss of value when I traded it for the GTS I have now been hit by the other guy's insurance for $19000 plus.

This puts a new spin on watering down the track. I'm exploring all of my options.
Wow Alan, talk about adding insult to injury. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2012 | 08:44 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan C.

So you were collateral damage and one of the cars damaged has tried to file a claim against you? That makes zero sense. Why would they attempt to go after you instead of the primary car.

Frankly, I don't see how their insurance company has a case at all.
Old 02-22-2012 | 09:32 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Counter sue everyone and let the court figure it out...

Looks like you'll be paying for a lawyer anyway.
Old 02-22-2012 | 09:53 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kk2
Counter sue everyone and let the court figure it out...

Looks like you'll be paying for a lawyer anyway.
Why would we have to hire a lawyer? It is the insurance companies that are making the claim and it should be his insurance company that will fight this. That is why we pay them. They fight for their interest (you and your $)
Old 02-22-2012 | 09:55 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by LVDell
Why would we have to hire a lawyer? It is the insurance companies that are making the claim and it should be his insurance company that will fight this. That is why we pay them. They fight for their interest (you and your $)
+1 I'd actually like to see the insurance companies go after PCNA. If it starts getting this expensive for each occurrence, I bet they will.....
Old 02-22-2012 | 09:56 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Scott, I think senility is sinking in for me so help me out. I seem to recall that PCA events have insurance for this very reason (lawsuits) and as participants we are covered by their legal. Do you recall this? Am I remembering correctly?
Old 02-22-2012 | 09:58 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

PCNA, not PCA. IMO, PCNA is negligent
Old 02-22-2012 | 09:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Like I said, senility! D-oh!
Old 02-22-2012 | 10:01 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by LVDell
Scott, I think senility is sinking in for me so help me out. I seem to recall that PCA events have insurance for this very reason (lawsuits) and as participants we are covered by their legal. Do you recall this? Am I remembering correctly?
I think that policy is more for the protection and coverage of instructors not necessarly students. We had a discussion around this at our Advaced Instructor training last year. Basically instructors are viewed as PCA employees (in a round about way) and the policies are there to protect them in that role.
Old 02-22-2012 | 10:02 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ah, that makes sense as we are working as a PCA rep for purposes of instruction. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2012 | 10:46 AM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

Having recently been in the middle of a fire insurance claim I can say insurance companies are very adept at figuring out how to get out of paying for stuff. Any stuff that costs money; such as our legal defense. So you would hope your insurance company would cover your legal defense when other driver's company comes after you on subrogation claim but what if your company tries something like "it's on track so we don't cover" = you're now on the hook for legal defense or action against your own insurer. At least here in NY insurance companies can not opt out of liability portion no matter where incident may occur. But re: collision damage, I think it's very much up in the air. Personally I would not count on street insurance.
Old 02-22-2012 | 10:54 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

In Ohio, it is called defending under a reservation of rights. In short, company will defend but may not pay a judgment. It also may file a declaration of rights action in which the issue is whether they owe a defense and/or coverage. Most carriers in Ohio will not deny a defense without filing a dec action due to the risk if they are wrong. My guess is this will probably end up in inter-company arbitration and none of the insureds will ever know the outcome.

Quick Reply: Coolant Pipe Failure & PCA