Sponsored by:

New race footage! edit: *2nd vid from Race 2 on Page 2*

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts
Post New race footage! edit: *2nd vid from Race 2 on Page 2*

Ok so there is next to no GT3 content here but there are a few Porsche's...
This is last weeks Enduro at The Fall Classic at Le Circuit Mont Tremblant.
I'm in my EK Civic with a B18C5 (type -r) motor. We finished 17th out of 37 cars including cup cars, a GT3R as well as a Viper ACR-X and at least 2 Sthor's.
I was running a low 1:59 (I turn a high 1:49-1:50 in my 6GT3) so for the amount of power and how little is done to the car, it's pretty good.
There is a good moment when a 944T tries to dive bomb me and proceeds to spin right next to me. We manage not to touch but it was close!
Enjoy!

Last edited by Chris R.; 10-02-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

BTW, the blue 968 has a LS1 motor in it! Fast in the straights but he was slow in the corners...
Old 09-30-2011, 12:30 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank God the 951 didn't collect you!

I like the sound of the M3 as it's passing.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:16 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The car looks very well balanced.

What are the basics of the car - weight, tires, suspension spring rates?

I love Tremblant - my overall favorite track
Old 09-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

The car is a 1997 Civic hatch with a B18C5 motor and tranny (with LSD) from an Integra Type-R.
I have a set of KW Varient 3 coil overs with a Neuspeed rear sway (19mm i think) and Neuspeed front sway bar.
The car is caged and we have removed some weight but there is still some left (removes glass from the hatch, side windows, blower motor, dash pad and structure, extra wiring etc).
The car makes 195 HP stock at the motor and we have added an intake, exhaust and headers so not much in terms of power adders. The brakes are larger Intergra brakes and we added discs to the rear by using a Civic Si rear arms with the discs and calipers. We run Hawk Blue in front and black in back. It brakes better than my GT3...no ABS though.
We had broken a front control arm busing in practice on Friday and the car was ALL over the place under braking and up over turn 1 and 2. The busted bushing was allowing the left front wheel to move around about 1"!! Lots of caster changes going on...scary. We ended up changing it and it was perfect.
The car was missing some motor by the end of the weekend for some reason...we were down 10km/h on the back straight...we have to look into why.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:26 PM
ofd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

That looks like lots of fun!!!! Hope the owner of the 968 gets to watch this vid so he can learn the fast lines. That spin looked real close
Nice bit of driving, Tks for posting.

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 09-30-2011, 01:36 PM
micahbones
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris R.
This is last weeks Enduro at The Fall Classic at Le Circuit Mont Tremblant...
Thanks for sharing! Great circuit, looks super fun, and nice clean racing by you.

One suggestion: looks like your mirror was all over the place, and you had to check side mirrors frequently. I highly recommend a race mirror like this (no affiliation) that will give you a much wider range of view, and also not move around while you are on the track.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Rev_2_8k
Racer

The car is a 1997 Civic hatch with a B18C5 motor and tranny (with LSD) from an Integra Type-R.
I have a set of KW Varient 3 coil overs with a Neuspeed rear sway (19mm i think) and Neuspeed front sway bar.
The car is caged and we have removed some weight but there is still some left (removes glass from the hatch, side windows, blower motor, dash pad and structure, extra wiring etc).
The car makes 195 HP stock at the motor and we have added an intake, exhaust and headers so not much in terms of power adders. The brakes are larger Intergra brakes and we added discs to the rear by using a Civic Si rear arms with the discs and calipers. We run Hawk Blue in front and black in back. It brakes better than my GT3...no ABS though.
We had broken a front control arm busing in practice on Friday and the car was ALL over the place under braking and up over turn 1 and 2. The busted bushing was allowing the left front wheel to move around about 1"!! Lots of caster changes going on...scary. We ended up changing it and it was perfect.
The car was missing some motor by the end of the weekend for some reason...we were down 10km/h on the back straight...we have to look into why.
Awesome driving. My good buddy had a full N/A track set up with his Type R. Those cars and any sort of 'sleeper' variants with civic hatch shell and motor swap are lethal on tight tracks.

I'm surprised to see this car brakes better than your GT3.... must be the weight?

Gotta respect those little honda's, I've owned a few
Old 09-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Rene G
Intermediate

Chris,

nice bit of driving, I think you need a cup car now....
Old 09-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey, pretty boy, quit looking at yourself in the mirror and drive the damn car!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:51 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

So Chris, who can sign up for these things?
Old 10-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Rene...no cup car for me...too expensive and honestly, I have such a good time racing the civic and its so cheap in comparison. A buddy of mine had a small hit this weekend with his new Cup and it cost him a rad and front bumper...like maybe $3000 or more? For $5000 I can get a whole new car with a cage and suspension and motor in it!
FFaust, you need to have your race license (quebec is FSAQ: more info here:
http://www.fsaq.qc.ca/index1.asp?id=679 and then be affiliated with a club. The Fall classic also requires that you have some history driving and racing so that we don't end up with guys crashing cars "trying to pass a porsche".
The next one at Tremblant is the Spring Classic. I'll be there for sure!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rev_2_8k
Awesome driving. My good buddy had a full N/A track set up with his Type R. Those cars and any sort of 'sleeper' variants with civic hatch shell and motor swap are lethal on tight tracks.

I'm surprised to see this car brakes better than your GT3.... must be the weight?

Gotta respect those little honda's, I've owned a few
The brakes are really good and I can brake very late with confidence but the speeds are much lower than in my GT3. For example, at Tremblant, coming into turn 10 (after back straight) i brake at the 2 marker in the Civic but am only hitting about 180km/h vs braking at the 3 marker but going over 220km/h in the GT3. I can get in the inside of faster cars and get them under braking in the civic.
The car weighs about 2400lbs so not super light...i figure I can take out another 150lbs.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Rev_2_8k
Racer

The brakes are really good and I can brake very late with confidence but the speeds are much lower than in my GT3. For example, at Tremblant, coming into turn 10 (after back straight) i brake at the 2 marker in the Civic but am only hitting about 180km/h vs braking at the 3 marker but going over 220km/h in the GT3. I can get in the inside of faster cars and get them under braking in the civic.
The car weighs about 2400lbs so not super light...i figure I can take out another 150lbs.
That's making more sense now... I didn't take into account the speed factor. I've always thought about really prepping one of my S2000's but at the time, was worth a decent amount more (compared to a DX shell, motor swap, etc).

Looks like fun out there
Old 10-01-2011, 02:11 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Chris,

Thanks for posting, very entertaining and I always look forward to studying you driving. Excellent pedagogical material for getting around LCMT. Get a fixed camera for the GT3.

The Stohrs are amazing. I can only imagine how quick things must happen in a Stohr.

Quick Reply: New race footage! edit: *2nd vid from Race 2 on Page 2*