Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY LWFW install possible without a lift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:15 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default DIY LWFW install possible without a lift?

Anyone here pulled the transmission out of their car without the aid of a lift?

There are very few repairs / modifications I shy away from doing myself, and I'm thinking about adding a LWFW to my car but I no longer have access to a lift and I'm wondering if I can even get the car high enough on jack stands to get the transmission out.

Andy
Old 08-12-2011, 11:16 AM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anything is possible...

for example, my dad and I removed, rebuilt and replaced the engine in a VW beetle without a lift and the front tires on the ground (think, lots of wood)

if you are methodical and take your time, i would imagine that you can get the car high enough to do this

then use a transmission jack

it is my understanding that the motor can stay in the car without bracing when the trans is out, but double check on that

take some pics as this would be a great exercise....

good luck

which LWFW?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:30 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

um, how "large" are you?

I've seen pics and read about other people who've done this...and I attempted to do the same last year. I could not get the car high enough to do it myself. I'm 230 lbs....and lying under the car, I didn't have enough room to work really. I mean, I fit...and if I could get the tranny undone, it would have been able to slide out of the car (just barely...if dragged on the ground)

My jack stands were only 18 inches up. My jack wouldn't go any higher. Now I bought a higher jack...goes to 25 inches...but it's too tall to fit under the car! DOH So I need to roll the car up on some 2x8's to get the clearance for the taller jack. It works, but it's a pain.

If you can get it up high enough you can do it. For sure. All the people on here who've done it all said the same thing...they would beg/borrow/steal a lift if they ever had to do it again.

YMMV

sean
Old 08-12-2011, 12:31 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

I already thinking my back would give out trying to do this : (. Mike
Old 08-12-2011, 10:26 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

I helped two guys remove the tranny while on a stacker trailer. It can be done.. Just isn't fun. And we used some jacks and bracing so we could take a breather and/or screw up.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:37 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Just as a reference point... I have done this a couple of times with my air-cooled 911s. I have always dropped the eng-tranny assembly together and then separated them on the ground. That is the way the factory installs them. With the AC cars, you must shift the assembly backwards to clear the shift rod. On WC cars, there shifter uses cables.

The biggest problem is lifting the rear end to clear the engine. I used to remove the rear bumper and jack the car up so tail would be about 36" off the ground. That gave me enough clearance to put a jack under, balance the assembly, lower it and pull it back to clear the rear cross member.

I assume that WC cars would need the rear bumper removed. Biggest pain would be to drain coolant. I think you do not need to drain oil since tank/cooler is self-contained and attached to engine. ON AC cars, oil tank is by rear fender. Electrical connections should be plug-n-play.

I have used a motorcycle jack to raise engine and also a regular jack. Balance point for AC assembly is where engine meets tranny. I assume WC cars would be similar. Weight of AC vs. WC engines should be comparable. WC perhaps a little more due to integrated oil tank.

Biggest fear if I was to do it, would be not having enough clearance after raising car and having to raise again. I got really good at it... Once you remove all the ancillaries, removing the AC engines is a piece of cake. 4 bolts and you are free! WC cars have 2 motor mounts in the rear and the trans mount...

Hope this helps...
Attached Images     
Old 08-13-2011, 03:23 AM
MTB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...nsmission.html

I am not sure what difference is a 996 C2 vs GT3 but here is a DIY for a 996 C2 pulling a transmission with jack stands.

Quick Reply: DIY LWFW install possible without a lift?