Sponsored by:

Pulling behavior on acceleration and deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:49 AM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
These are OEM tires? I Would replace them on based on age alone and only then diagnose if the problem continues. This is OLD rubber
Great advice...took the car back to the dealer (MAG in Columbus, OH). Reconfirmed correct factory suspension settings and alignment; checked ride height, (slightly higher than spec in front, equal L and R so probably not responsible for driving behavior). Porsche technician Jeff urged me to start with a fresh matched set of tires. I have a few months experience with Hankook Ventus Evo 12 tires on my 540i and have been impressed with their grip in wet and dry, quiet and comfortable ride, so ordered a set from Tire Rack which promised delivery in a week. Hope this solves the pulling issues. Will report again once they're installed and broken in.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:27 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the Hankooks on my GT3 in stock sizes on the street. Mine is a weekend car so I don't have a whole heck of a lot of seat time with them, but I have no complaints so far, and they have been given good reviews by folks here and by some friends of whom I trust regarding their on-track and on-street feedback.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:57 AM
One Nut
Instructor

My vette does the same thing after swapping the rear tires only. That was the only thing I did..., the tires are PS2's I really hate them so every chance I get I'll roast them. going to with the r888's
Old 06-19-2011, 12:44 AM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Can't wait to get to Gingerman on July 2 to test this car's capabilities. The Hankooks have literally transformed the handling of the car from a torque steering beast into a stable, predictable ride. Thanks to all for your advice and assistance.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Therefore... all things the same on your GT3 it was the tires causing the problem, correct?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enthusiast
Therefore... all things the same on your GT3 it was the tires causing the problem, correct?
That's correct. The only variable is the new tires.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:49 AM
NHHLLC
AutoX

I have the exact same problem on my 2010 GT3. All started few days ago when i had the winter tires swapped to the summer tires. I noticed the pull to the left on acceleration within the first mile ( as well as the unwinding to the right when i let off the gas). Called the dealer who said it couldn't be anything they did. The summer tires are the same ones that worked perfectly 6 months ago and they were stored in perfect condition. the car seems to torque to the left, like the rear right corner is lifting up. It has to be sway bar or shock related. Putting up on a lift tomorrow to take a good look.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:19 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

^^^ Something I don't think we've mentioned in this thread yet; check that the wheels are installed on the correct side if the tires are directional ....
Old 07-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

I had exactly the same problem. Re-alignement didn't help. Problem was cured when I swapped old bushes to new ones and replaced toe control arms.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:52 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Completed my first DE in the car at Gingerman yesterday. This was my third overall DE, the first 2 were done in my 2001 540i 6 speed at Mid Ohio and Putnam Park. The Gt3 is an absolute blast to drive, but on my part of the learning curve I feel that Ferry Porsche must be spinning in his grave with laughter and disbelief at the way his creation can be made to misbehave. No fault to the tires, the car was free of any torque steer and my instructor felt the Hankooks performed admirably. The driver, not so much. More (much more) seat time was recommended. No Hoosiers for me until I can repeatably and smoothly execute the line!

Quick Reply: Pulling behavior on acceleration and deceleration