Sponsored by:

O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 03:24 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensors

I need new O2 sensors for an exhaust I am putting together. Has anyone had good luck replacing sensors from a particular vendor? Prices online vary which generally means quality does too.

I have two full exhausts for my car now, well, from the cat's on back. The "relatively" stock one is for Lime Rock with noise restrictions.

The other set I have is going to have the cat's guts removed and cans baffles opened a bit.

Either way, I need new sensors.

My understanding is the one's BEFORE the cat control the fuel/air mixture. Definately want new ones there.

The sensors AFTER monitor the health of the cat, essentially (responsible for most check engine lights). I may use new ones there too.

Any feedback appreciated. I have four weeks until I go to a unrestricted noise track.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CT03911
I need new O2 sensors for an exhaust I am putting together. Has anyone had good luck replacing sensors from a particular vendor? Prices online vary which generally means quality does too.

I have two full exhausts for my car now, well, from the cat's on back. The "relatively" stock one is for Lime Rock with noise restrictions.

The other set I have is going to have the cat's guts removed and cans baffles opened a bit.

My understanding is the one's BEFORE the cat control the fuel/air mixture. Definately want new ones there.

The sensors AFTER monitor the health of the cat, essentially (responsible for most check engine lights). I may use new ones there too.

Any feedback appreciated. I have four weeks until I go to a unrestricted noise track.
You are based on my knowledge in uncharted territory in modifying/constructing your own exhaust system.

My best advice would be to use the same sensors as the car came with, or new ones if the current ones are suspect.

The engine controller is designed with these sensors in mind, their warmup, response time, and other characteristics.

If you resort to to using aftermarket sensors... their behavior coupled with the changes to the exhaust may make your job of sorting the exhaust system out a living hell.

Or, you can pick up 'compatible' aftermarket O2 sensors and try them. They are cheaper than 'factory'. And they may work.

If you go for aftermarket be very careful you know what you need, what the engine needs: Some 911s (the 996 Turbo for one) use wideband sensors in the #1 (before the converters) sensor positions and these sensors are not interchangeable with the sensors in the #2 (after the converter) positions.

Like I said... uncharted territory. But good luck regardless.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:43 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CT03911

Take the rear sensors out and tie them up to the motor mount cross bar where all they'll read is fresh air. Use OEM sensors up front but why do you want to buy new ones?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rather than tie the rear sensors to hang in fresh air, I used a combiantion of two O2 extenders that solved the CEL issue.

Quick Reply: O2 sensors