Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on track and big oil leak...(RMS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default First time on track and big oil leak...(RMS)

Update - It was the RMS.

Yeah, this is the experience I always dreaded...
Spend a bucket of money on my first Porsche, own it for two weeks, spend another bucket to have rollbar/shifter/harnesses/pads/diff-rebuild done in time for my first Porsche trackday and then have the "blue smoke" experience.

Pulled in after the session and my friend (fellow instructor), also in a 6GT3, was covered in oil...as was my rear bumper...as was everything from the axles to the mufflers. Car was dripping oil at a good rate until it cooled off a bit, then it slowed to a slow drip, I was down almost a quart of oil. Left early to head home and pulled over every 30 mins to check oil level...added another half quart by time I made it home. Pulled into garage and the bleeding seemed to have stopped. I put a big piece of cardboard down under the car to see what's my surprise for tomorrow morning.

What really sucks is that my wife just had a meltdown about what I spent on "track-prep/safety gear"... I can't imagine what's in store for me with this next bill. "Yeah, honey, you know that oil leak I mentioned that I had at the track the other day...it's gonna cost me another $$$$$$$". Who has a cot in their garage? I only snore a little.

So, my new brothers, anyone experience this before? (not the pissed-off wife syndrome, I'm sure PLENTY of you have had that...)

Thanks so much,
TomK

On a side note...and the reason why I didn't throw a match inside the car whilst it bled out in the paddock...is that I finally understand, or at least had a legitimate taste, the passion you all have for the 6GT3. Never, never, never, have I jumped into a car before and felt so comfortable...so connected...so able to explore my limits of piloting a vehicle so quickly. With MPSCs, I was sliding a little, pushing a little, oversteering a little (some nice drifts, too). It felt so natural, as if I wasn't driving a vehicle but became one with it...like how the humans put their consciousness into the blue alien-clones in Avatar. It was pretty cool and I'm glad I had an opportunity to experience it, if only for a short time today.

Be good,
TomK

Last edited by ace996; 05-05-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 04-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Mine hasn't burned a dropped nor have I dropped any oil.

Sounds like an anomaly. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:00 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the plastic fill tube that connects to the oil tank.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:00 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sucks man...Sorry that was your first experience.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry man. Anything like this can be fixed tho'. Its going to be okay.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:09 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Hey Tom so sorry to hear this!

Let the car cool, rinse the excessive oil and find where it's coming from; forget the cardboard and waiting.

Might be something simple besides you can't do anything until next week.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Never had that happen but I feel for u. I grenaded my nifty 3.8 rsr pressure plate and clutch on 1st day after a misshift. Fk there goes $2k down the drain. I would recommend cleaning the gunk out start car up and see if oil is seeping somewhere. Mike
Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 PM
ace996
Instructor

Good advice, guys, I appreciate it. I've cooled off a bit and now it's "let's get this fixed" mode.
I have time tomorrow, so I'll clean the bottom of the engine as best I can... Simple Green and a hose???

Then we'll see what's up. I will say that I didn't see any leaking prior to the tracktime, so I hope this isn't somehting that just rears it's head at only that level of driving. The leak appeared to really slow by the time I made it home. I just checked the cardboard and there's a few drips of oil but nothing like before. I did check the filler tube and all is good/clean. From the top of the motor, it's perfect...from the bottom...it's a coated mess.

I can only hope this is not a "need to take a mortgage" type of repair, as it's gonna be a while until I recover from my last service/install bill.

So, just a gentle mix of Simple Green and water? I've never had to tackle a BP-type clean-up before.

Thanks,
TomK
Old 04-22-2011, 09:27 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any degreaser will work. What was your last service? Check oil sump and drain plugs if you haven't already. Sounds very odd for that volume of oil. Keep us posted.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:28 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your bad experience... Just out of curiosity... Any chance that the engine was overfilled? How did you check the oil level? Did you add oil after you bought it? Could it have been overfilled by PO? Proper procedure is have engine warm before checking oil. Perhaps oil expansion under track temps caused the overfill. Also, check your oil tank cap. We had a problem with a GT3 years ago where the oil cap came loose. We now recommend putting a hose clamp around the oil cap (also on 996s) to keep it together. Hopefully it will be something simple. Good Luck! Lou
Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 PM
ace996
Instructor

Originally Posted by ninerguru
Sorry to hear about your bad experience... Just out of curiosity... Any chance that the engine was overfilled? -I doubt it, car was PPI'd prior to purchase and track-teched two days ago.How did you check the oil level? -I used the electronic sensor and dipstick.Did you add oil after you bought it?-No. Could it have been overfilled by PO? -I doubt it. Proper procedure is have engine warm before checking oil. Perhaps oil expansion under track temps caused the overfill. Also, check your oil tank cap. We had a problem with a GT3 years ago where the oil cap came loose. We now recommend putting a hose clamp around the oil cap (also on 996s) to keep it together- that was the first thing we checked, my friend showed me his cap with the hose clamp. Everything up top is spotless, no sign of oil except below.. Hopefully it will be something simple. Good Luck! Lou
Thanks, Lou, I appreciate it.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

EdIt after reading your post above.

Even if it's not the cap it's just a oil line/fitting that's somehow blown off perhaps only under pressure This just doesn't sound like something catastrophic. These motors are really bulletproof....
Old 04-22-2011, 09:51 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for oil leak from the front main seal. Happened to me at Barber but the leak was minimal. Was not much $$$ to fix.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:09 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,338 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
EdIt after reading your post above.

Even if it's not the cap it's just a oil line/fitting that's somehow blown off perhaps only under pressure This just doesn't sound like something catastrophic. These motors are really bulletproof....
+1. This engine is the ONLY motor I trust because of it's long history with many different people and the fact that most track their 6GT3. I would not worry about a major failure.

My first thought was an overfill, but I'm willing to bet it's a oil line somewhere down below because if it was a major blow, you wouldn't have been able to drive it home.

Just curious, since you've had the car, have you smelled any oil burn when driving the car?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:39 PM
ace996
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pete
Just curious, since you've had the car, have you smelled any oil burn when driving the car?
Have only owned car for 2 weeks, driven it a couple of times. Never any smell or oil dripped on my garage floor.

I'll clean her up as best I can tomorrow and see if I can find anything.

Thanks, all, I appreciate all the help/advice.

Be good,
TomK

Quick Reply: First time on track and big oil leak...(RMS)