Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on track and big oil leak...(RMS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^Sounds like a condom. Mike
Old 05-05-2011, 05:55 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^Sounds like a condom. Mike
And leads to similar expenses when installed incorrectly....
Old 05-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Haven't made it to the end of the thread yet, so maybe you've found the problem. I just wanted to mention that a GT3 had a little fire at Sebring a few weeks ago. I was surprised to see it back on track later in the day, and learned that it was a minor issue with a hose coming loose, or something to that effect. Just saying I'm thinking your issue may be similar.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:08 AM
danes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ace996
Update - It was the RMS.

Yeah, this is the experience I always dreaded...
Spend a bucket of money on my first Porsche, own it for two weeks, spend another bucket to have rollbar/shifter/harnesses/pads/diff-rebuild done in time for my first Porsche trackday and then have the "blue smoke" experience.

Pulled in after the session and my friend (fellow instructor), also in a 6GT3, was covered in oil...as was my rear bumper...as was everything from the axles to the mufflers. Car was dripping oil at a good rate until it cooled off a bit, then it slowed to a slow drip, I was down almost a quart of oil. Left early to head home and pulled over every 30 mins to check oil level...added another half quart by time I made it home. Pulled into garage and the bleeding seemed to have stopped. I put a big piece of cardboard down under the car to see what's my surprise for tomorrow morning.

What really sucks is that my wife just had a meltdown about what I spent on "track-prep/safety gear"... I can't imagine what's in store for me with this next bill. "Yeah, honey, you know that oil leak I mentioned that I had at the track the other day...it's gonna cost me another $$$$$$$". Who has a cot in their garage? I only snore a little.

So, my new brothers, anyone experience this before? (not the pissed-off wife syndrome, I'm sure PLENTY of you have had that...)

Thanks so much,
TomK

On a side note...and the reason why I didn't throw a match inside the car whilst it bled out in the paddock...is that I finally understand, or at least had a legitimate taste, the passion you all have for the 6GT3. Never, never, never, have I jumped into a car before and felt so comfortable...so connected...so able to explore my limits of piloting a vehicle so quickly. With MPSCs, I was sliding a little, pushing a little, oversteering a little (some nice drifts, too). It felt so natural, as if I wasn't driving a vehicle but became one with it...like how the humans put their consciousness into the blue alien-clones in Avatar. It was pretty cool and I'm glad I had an opportunity to experience it, if only for a short time today.

Be good,
TomK
Tom,

Nice post.

Yes the cost of the car is certainly a bucket full, but it's absolutely fantastic!

I have to laugh about your comments regarding your wife having a near melt down etc. Was just too funny, as I can identify

Regards,

danes
Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 AM
por29
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad to know you're back "on track"
Old 05-09-2011, 01:05 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, Bill, can't wait to actually be back on track. I have to pick some days with the MetroNY group and begin that journey.

Issue now is that I'm going to have less weekend days available going forward.
My son, Achilles (7 yrs old), won both GI and No-Gi grappling tournaments for his division at the NAGA World Championships yesterday. I already have two track-days bumped due to future tournaments.
We are so proud of him...I actually am completely shocked at how he performed (all matches ended in submissions) as I was not expecting the wins. So, another scheduling entry for the family....

Be good,
TomK

Quick Reply: First time on track and big oil leak...(RMS)