Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on track and big oil leak...(RMS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 06:01 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats getting the car on the track. I spent the first 10 or so track days working on sway bar setting and suspension (camber, toe and tire pressure). First upgrade was teh rear toe links (HUGE improvement as my alginment kept "drifting" after outings on the local high speed track). Time to move on to the LSD, Motons or revalving, and possible regearing. Budget, budget, budget!

Enjoy. These cars are fantastic.

-B
Old 04-24-2011, 07:33 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, Blake. Yeah, reason I bought the car was to be my track weapon and I"m so happy I was able to drink from the GT3 fountain.
The car already has the GMG links out back...all 6. The alignment seemed to be in a good place, except I had a bit of a push from apex to exit. I do have the RS wing and the stock front lip, I've been told to balance the RS wing with the cup lip...we'll see.
LSD was just rebuilt last week with GT internals.

Everything felt good except a couple of things:

1. The oil leak - I did wash/spray the engine this morning. Put the back on ramps and crawled under. Appears that the oil is coming from the engine/tranny connection area...not specifically the RMS...but in that general area. There was not oil above the bottom of the block but more so, and higher up, by the axles, and above. I think there was more oil on the driver's side than the passenger's side. There was no oil on the underbrace that runs across the car, but plenty on the two diagonal braces...the rear swaybar...the tranny (rear portion).

2. A thumping in the suspension/wheels during right hand turns, and only when pushed hard. Did not happen at first but developed later in the session. At first I thought it could be brake-pad deposits but I'm guessing now that it may be a wheel bearing (front driver's??), hopefully it's not more than that. There is also some binding/crunching going on when backing out of a parking space with the wheels turned to the right.

I'm going to take my car into my mechanic's this week for some TLC. We'll be back out soon.

And yes, despite the issues I experienced, I believe these cars are fantastic.

Be good,
TomK
Old 04-24-2011, 08:09 PM
por29
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm glad you had such a fine time with the car albeit too short. Let's hope that the oil leak is nothing but a loose line connection or something even more simple..

Very curious.

Bill
Old 04-24-2011, 08:57 PM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the oil smell like gear oil or motor oil? Since you had the LSD R&R'd could the gearbox have been overfilled and when the gear oil heated up it spewed out the breather vent on top of the box?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:04 PM
ace996
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911S4
Did the oil smell like gear oil or motor oil? Since you had the LSD R&R'd could the gearbox have been overfilled and when the gear oil heated up it spewed out the breather vent on top of the box?
Good idea, although the fluid smelled like motor oil. Also, the motor oil level was down, and went down after being filled up again. I wish it was so simple.
Again, I hope it is something like Bill says above...a loose fitting or something.

We'll see.

Thanks,
TomK
Old 04-24-2011, 09:09 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ace996
There is also some binding/crunching going on when backing out of a parking space with the wheels turned to the right.

Be good,
TomK
That sound is probably indicative that your LSD is in good shape.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:44 PM
por29
Racer

I'm hoping the gearbox was overfilled.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:46 PM
por29
Racer

Can you get the car in first thing Monday morning?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:40 PM
ace996
Instructor

Originally Posted by por29
I'm hoping the gearbox was overfilled.
I don't think that's the case, Bill, gearbox oil has a very particular smell...yes?
If so, then I have another problem why my car burned/lost about a quart of oil.

Originally Posted by por29
Can you get the car in first thing Monday morning?
I'll have it in by 8:30am.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:56 PM
ace996
Instructor

Originally Posted by DHI
That sound is probably indicative that your LSD is in good shape.
I've never felt an LSD bump/thump that bad.

Whilst running at speed on track, when turning right, there was a rhythmic thumping/banging - never felt an LSD do that at speed. Same type of feel, allbeit much slower whilst backing out of the parking spot with front wheels turned to the right. It did not feel normal. Again, at first I thought it was brake pad deposits but I did not feel it when the brakes were applied...softly or with force. Upon my after-track mental summary, there's no way that's a "normal" occurance.
My bet is wheel bearing but I don't know. We'll see.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Have your mechanic check the bushings in the trans carrier.
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...96_GT3_Chassis

"2. A thumping in the suspension/wheels during right hand turns, and only when pushed hard."

"Whilst running at speed on track, when turning right, there was a rhythmic thumping/banging."

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:04 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Swepco gear oil is really smelly. Smell any of that?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Just get it fixed up bro. The car is pretty bullet proof. Never had a car that encourages me to spin if I do something wrong. It's the nature of the beast. I've had it since new and there's growing pains between car and driver but oh so rewarding when u don't muck it up. Promising that u able to drive back home wo much drama. If a cracked/porous casing which is few and far between u ain't driving back home. And don't move next door to me and if u do tell your wife were doing no limit poker : ). Mike
Old 04-29-2011, 10:55 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the latest Tom?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:48 AM
ace996
Instructor

Well...OK...
With the purchase of the car, the taxes due, the cost of the safety gear, footing the bill for the WHOLE family's Easter dinner and my mom's 80'th birthday party...and a couple of other strong kicks to the wallett, my wife...the CFO...went just shy of thermonuclear when I explained that the car needed to be dropped off at the mechanic's. So, to keep myself sleeping in my house, I need to be gentle with this.
She's really not a bitch - as I've put her through more than I could ever imagine with my decade-long "almost as bad as a crack addiction" car-affliction (8 cars in 10 years).

My plan...

Spend this weekend cleaning the car's engine bay with a toothbrush, q-tips, and tissues. Get it as clean as I possibly can. Put the phosphorous dye in the oil and hope to 'diagnose' the issue amongst my auto-circle of friends/mechanics. Once I know, or have a good idea of what's happening, I can address it.
I'm pretty sure I have a bad wheel bearing, too. I'm not a half-bad wrench when I need to be so I'll handle that myself...as right now, I need to be.

So, another learning experience/lesson had. I will not let this stain my GT3 experience, I absolutely love the car and dream of dancing with her soon.

As our old friends, Bartles & James, used to say...
"Thanks for your support",
TomK

Quick Reply: First time on track and big oil leak...(RMS)