Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on track and big oil leak...(RMS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:41 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

What's the previous owner's history with tracking it? Mike
Old 04-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tom looked spectacular on the track !. He was faster than me in certain sections. I'll post video when I get my new version of movie maker to work. I had never seen an oil leak on a GT3- just a coolant leak. I'm hoping it is a minor repair. Tom you did well yesterday- What a spectacular day despite the mechanical.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:33 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

So this Greek can drive.. : )

Tom it's 7:30 there. Come on give us an update; did you clean it yet?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHziEeg_vfU
Old 04-23-2011, 12:15 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks so much, Bobby, it was great to see us "at play in the fields of the Lord". I can't believe how comfortable I felt in the car...as if I belonged in one all along. I just have to get used to going down to 2nd gear more...never had to in the Vette.
I'll get this fixed asap and we'll be out there again soon.
Be good,
TomK
Old 04-23-2011, 12:15 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Tom, sorry to hear about your leak troubles!

Did the car actually blow smoke out from the exhaust?

You say everything looks clean from up top. Pull the air filter and look at the intake. Any oil up there? There are 2 small overflow lines that come off the top left of the oil tank and plug in around the intake. I doubt that's your problem and you verified proper oil fill several times.

These GT1 motors are tough as nails and you drove home. With your amount of oil loss, I bet it's related to an oil return line. Perhaps one feeding the oil/coolant heat exchanger on top of the motor where you can't really see it... leaking and dripping down on everything and then burning off.

Also, check the bottom of your oil tank just to the left of the drain plug where the 'corrugated' flexible area is. Make sure it's not cracked from something whacking it.

Good luck and keep us posted! In the meantime, keep dreaming about your next track outing in the machine.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 PM
ace996
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
So this Greek can drive.. : )

Tom it's 7:30 there. Come on give us an update; did you clean it yet?
John,
It's raining here so nothing happening probably until Monday. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day.

Christos Anesti,
TomK
Old 04-23-2011, 12:25 PM
ace996
Instructor

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Tom, sorry to hear about your leak troubles!

Did the car actually blow smoke out from the exhaust? - Thank God, no, just smoking from the exhaust getting coated.

You say everything looks clean from up top. Pull the air filter and look at the intake. Any oil up there? There are 2 small overflow lines that come off the top left of the oil tank and plug in around the intake. I doubt that's your problem and you verified proper oil fill several times.- I don't think that's the issue either, but I'll check as well, can't hurt.

These GT1 motors are tough as nails and you drove home. With your amount of oil loss, I bet it's related to an oil return line. Perhaps one feeding the oil/coolant heat exchanger on top of the motor where you can't really see it... leaking and dripping down on everything and then burning off. - I can only hope it's something like this. I can only guess it's something that loosened whilst in the "heat" of tracking and tightened a bit during cooling, as the motor is not dripping oil now.

Also, check the bottom of your oil tank just to the left of the drain plug where the 'corrugated' flexible area is. Make sure it's not cracked from something whacking it.- Will do, she's gonna need a full spray/clean/brushing below.

Good luck and keep us posted! In the meantime, keep dreaming about your next track outing in the machine.
I am dreaming...a bit bummed I won't make Limerock on Monday but we'll be out there again soon.

Thanks,
TomK
Old 04-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

It was blue smoke from underneath car burning off on exhaust manifold and spraying out the back. Tom's save after turn 22 on aproach to turn 1 was from him slipping in his own oil.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:18 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

So, my new brothers, anyone experience this before? (not the pissed-off wife syndrome, I'm sure PLENTY of you have had that...)
I feel you, brother. Same type of thing happened to me a few years ago - right after I got my 3. I upgraded to a GT3 because my old track prepped 996 was in the shop, literally, every month for something track related. I blew a M96 engine, had to replace it, and was on my 3rd suspension. Plus routine maintenance, upgrades, etc - it was a money pit deluxe for years. I told my wife I needed a more robust and bulletproof car for the track, to keep costs down. She let me get a 996 GT3.

Well, first track event I blew a coolant fitting going about 130 at Texas Motor Speedway going into turn 3. Luckily nothing got on my rear wheels. Car had to be trailered to the shop - finally got home at around 2 in the morning. Had to explain to the wife why my first event in the bulletproof car resulted in a tow and repair.

Luckily, I car was still under warranty, so I had no real out-of-pocket. But it was still a PITA and I felt kinda lame [plus I had to miss 3 sessions!]

C'est la vie!

Originally Posted by ace996
What really sucks is that my wife just had a meltdown about what I spent on "track-prep/safety gear"... I can't imagine what's in store for me with this next bill. "Yeah, honey, you know that oil leak I mentioned that I had at the track the other day...it's gonna cost me another $$$$$$$". Who has a cot in their garage? I only snore a little.
I wouldn't sweat the safety gear costs. There's no price on safety. Period. My wife actually made me get everything that had safety attached to it. HANS, FIA 3-layer suit, fire extinguisher, seats, harness, roll bar, etc. Basically anything that would keep me safe. Cost was never an issue, 'cause Daddy gotta come home! I sometimes use this to my advantage to upgrade things - in the name of safety! [shhh, our little secret]

Keep the faith. When the bugs are worked out you will never look back.

There's nothing like a 6GT3.

-td
Old 04-23-2011, 02:23 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Tom looked spectacular on the track !
Good vid. I'm assuming you have a mic piped into your helmet connected to your video setup? Any details? Sounds really good.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:43 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't wait to read the outcome, but as others have said, I would be surprised if it was major, you drove home after all.

Also had my first track day yesterday with the 3. I was apprehensive at first coming from a 997S. You know, no nannies etc, so I was very cautious, but the smile just got wider and wider with each session. I could feel the car make up for my shortcomings; wrong line, no problem, it can handle it. Almost like it was saying "is that all you got"

So Tom, I know what you mean by "I finally understand", and also share the excitement. I'm sure that this is just a hiccup.

BTW, you're funny
Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 PM
ace996
Instructor

Funny???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pd30...eature=related
Old 04-24-2011, 12:38 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, you know, funny.

...anyone experience this before? (not the pissed-off wife syndrome, I'm sure PLENTY of you have had that)...
...I've never had to tackle a BP-type clean-up before...
Old 04-24-2011, 01:30 AM
ace996
Instructor

Originally Posted by FFaust
Yeah, you know, funny.
I hear ya, Faust, thanks. I find that in these situations, a little levity keeps me from taking things too seriously. In the grand scheme, it's not a problem... someone in Japan watching their house float down their street into a melting nuclear reactor - that's a real problem.
At least I tell that to my wife...but she just told me to "go sleep with your girlfriend (GT3) in the garage".
My reply... "Yeah, apparently I've no problem getting HER wet in the back"...

...I'll be here all night folks...don't forget to tip your waitress...

Quick Reply: First time on track and big oil leak...(RMS)