Cup Lip Reattachment & Cargraphic Bumper Screens Installed; Write Up & Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SH || NC
Dave, that cup lip is shiny! Did you polish that too? Can't really see the screens; what did you use?
Yup. I came from the 993 board. They polish everything over there, top to bottom.
A sick lot.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Now remember, these were taken with my crappy cell phone and I had to make it look like I was reading email instead of taking pics

But y'all can get a good idea of what I am talking about. It was VERY difficult to lecture when I her in class. These pics are some of her more CONSERVATIVE days. Let's just say, that I googled her name and the pics I found online are ones I cannot post here or I will be banned..........
Ahhh.. the perils of being a professor!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Wish I had pictures from my last stop.....It was even better at UNLV (think about the attire in spring in Sin City). The one place where a student could tell me that she was just stripping to put herself through school and was actually telling the truth
Old 02-10-2012, 01:26 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

Great thread - all down-force 996GT3 front bumper bases well covered! from front bumper front vent mesh install to top of front bumper mesh (along with radiator tilt ala RS2 - thanks for that pic John) to polished cup lips (ala 993 concourse club) and perfectly rounded off with skimpy Mexico blue sundresses, including lots of pics (some official porshce, others ... well, um, not).

Could well be the best blended thread of all time considering its only a few pages deep!

One last question for those intricately enough involved - even if they have moved to 7 land - would you say on a white RS, for the front of bumper vents, is BLACK or SILVER mesh better looking? I know the black one with a bit of tack debris can start getting chips and silver/uncoated won't show those, but also I saw a silver meshed RS2 track car and it looked fresh even though the top vent mesh is black. What's your view - is the black there to keep the black-hole, cavernous impression of the original bumper or does the silver add a nice dimension? (I can't find said pic but will keep looking.) Not of huge import but I'm planning the job this weekend and getting down to the finer details - all opinions treasured, thanks.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Go with black, you can touch it up easily if it chips.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:57 AM
HiWind
Race Car

^^ thanks FF, good point. Here's a pic of the silver (uncoated) ...
Old 02-10-2012, 12:52 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
...or you could make your own like Dell did. Thanks for posting, Dell.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...se-on-gt3.html
Anyone in the SF Bay Area wants to do this, I have a set of the mesh that I didn't use. Decided to go with the preformed Cargraphics set that I bought from a fellow RLer.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:55 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spare tire
You car looks super clean. I have to scrub for days to get all the track worm marks off of my bumpercover. I think there is a better double sided tape though. The one you have looks thick. There is a thinner one that body shops use.
You want 3M VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape 5952
http://www.Shop3M.com/3m-vhb-heavy-d...952-8TRTQKPDT3
Old 02-11-2012, 01:48 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Thanks Joe - I'll pop round after fitting amphibious 007 mods (thread to come)
Old 02-11-2012, 06:49 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

There's also a UK site for ordering if that'd be any better?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:33 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Thanks! Was referring to the mesh you said was left over in SF

based on these two - guys racing at my track - silver doesn't really work on a white RS iMO. The one is a GT2RS (on rt side), the other a GT3RS like mine once, now both stripped and seriously quick (black one is stock GT3 w RS wing).

This 3 is sporting a 3.9L and lots of CF after a little 'off-grade' if you get my drift. The 2 won the 10 lap A race last weekend by 15s racing Lolas, Chatenams, Lotus as well as newer mustangs and Porsches.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:15 PM
JohnnyGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job... I would like to , or shall I say NEED to do this before I get a rock taking something out in there.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:44 PM
HiWind
Race Car

As Franc said, the black is working well. Now to protect the windscreen
Old 05-20-2012, 11:07 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I made my own out of stainless mesh and had it powdercoated. Very durable.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting ready to add screens to the front bumper, and I’ve got a question for those who already have them. Would there be much value to installing the screens so they can be removed without having to remove the front bumper cover?

I always hose out the openings after each track visit and reach in by hand and pull out all the small rubber bits that tend to pile up in the bottom of the ducts where the cooling fins and ducts meet. It’s surprising how many little bits can pile up in one weekend. With non-removable screens in place I won’t be able to do that. Cleaning the intake ducts will require bumper removal. While I realize it’s good practice to pull the bumper and ductwork every so often to clean the radiators, that will be much less frequent than every track weekend.

There is an alternate way to install these screens so that they can be easily removed and then reinstalled w/o bumper removal, but the upfront installation will be a much bigger PITA, and I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra effort. For you guys who have non-removable screens, how often do you need to pull the bumper to clean out the ducts and radiators?

Quick Reply: Cup Lip Reattachment & Cargraphic Bumper Screens Installed; Write Up & Pics