Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Place your bets. GT2 V. Cup car???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:12 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I think that OP mentioned the OLOA, so he is trying to build something that's street legal (so Cup is out.. !) but yet has enough horsepower to compete in the unlimited class.. So I think a GT2-based monster makes quite a lot of sense.. !
Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM
AJM54GT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cfjan, you are exactly correct. If I wanted to have a car that would qualify for a very competitive spec class, frankly I would have bought a Mazda. Or, gone back to the Spec BMW class that I ran in for years.

I have run OLOA three times and would like to do it again in a car that can finish in the top three(assuming driver competency, admittedly a big if). OLOA is a three lap per track event; not (thankfully) three hrs. Also, given my work and family obligations, I just don't have the time to seriously compete in a full race season. However, I am looking forward to running in the occasional NASA or PCA event.

FWIW, the car weighs 2890 without driver or the second seat.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:00 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Interesting perspective... But how about, having the skill to take a less setup, heavier, way more powerful car and keeping it on the track/piloting around faster or just as fast than a properly setup racecar?? It's also a challenge, but a different one... Both require a ton of skill in my eyes.. I'll post up some in car footage, dancing with a car on edge for 30 minutes straight! HP doesn't make you go fast if you don't know how to utilize/handle it...
That's definitely thinking out of the box : ). Makes me want to mod a cayenne turbo and make it 2wd : ). But I do see your point but u gotta admit turbo power on the straights is cheating- it can forgive a poor entry/exit- gt3 can't do that for u : ). Mike
Old 03-29-2011, 06:32 PM
AJM54GT3
Advanced

Mike:

I hear what you are saying. I spent years driving a momentum car and there was nothing more satisfying than staying on the bumper of what should have been a faster, high hp car. However, with age comes privileges. Now i just want to go stinking fast.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by AJM54GT3
For some time I have been thinking about building the ultimate track/race car that I could also enter in OLOA--
Nice. Maybe I'll see you out there next year. Out of the country this year...

A new, modified GT2 would be on my short list if I wanted to win, but a turbo might be a better bet if you want to win IMHO. Simple reason- rain. The points system favors consistency- you can beat everyone by 10 seconds per at every event, but if you then hit rain and fall even 10 places behind first you'll fall behind the 2nd place guy you are consistently crushing. So 4wd and a great wet setup would be ideal most years- Leh perhaps got a bit lucky with the weather last year. The GTRs are tough to beat for that reason...

So the question is, can the GT2 out run a 996 GT3 Cup car? What say you?
Can you run the cup tires? If so then yes. If you're on R compounds, etc then it would be very tough.
I'd look into how much weight I could pull off of the GT2 street engine. I was impressed how much lighter my cup motor is c vs the street cars, and the RSR motors are much, much lighter still. Saving some of that weight behind the rear axle would do wonders I suspect, of course it probably wouldn't be easy at all...
Old 04-02-2011, 03:10 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know the only diff. between a street and cup motor is the variocam and the exhaust, with the exhaust being the biggest factor.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernie930
You know the only diff. between a street and cup motor is the variocam and the exhaust, with the exhaust being the biggest factor.
A few more differences, actually...

MAF vs MAP
E throttle
Idle control
AC and ancillaries
Air injection system
Emissions, associated wiring, extra O2 sensors,
Power steering pump
etc.

The internal components are similar to the same, but dressed the cup motor is surprisingly lighter.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:05 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Alex, any GT2 updates / progress with some pictures??
Old 04-12-2011, 03:41 PM
AJM54GT3
Advanced

Faster...the car has taken longer than I would have liked. Some is attributable to the SPA fire system that bas been back ordered and part attributable to more and more go fast mode and parts that I keep asking DAS to put on the car. It "should" be picked up by the carrier tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed. Now that the GT3 has been sold, I am suffering from serious Porsche withdrawal.

The only other big project that I have planned for the car is to have it wrapped in Mexico or Gulf blue vinyl. I have never been a huge fan of silver cars and the blue vinyl should look beautiful on track and preserve the factory paint. Will definitely post pictures when the vinyl is done.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:26 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Faster...the car has taken longer than I would have liked. Some is attributable to the SPA fire system that bas been back ordered and part attributable to more and more go fast mode and parts that I keep asking DAS to put on the car. It "should" be picked up by the carrier tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed. Now that the GT3 has been sold, I am suffering from serious Porsche withdrawal.

The only other big project that I have planned for the car is to have it wrapped in Mexico or Gulf blue vinyl. I have never been a huge fan of silver cars and the blue vinyl should look beautiful on track and preserve the factory paint. Will definitely post pictures when the vinyl is done.
Does your place order the special vinyl from somewhere in those colors?? May wrap my GT2, wonder how gloss vinyl's look though, may look cheap hrmm.. I've only seen Matte wraps and they looked great however
Old 04-16-2011, 05:39 PM
por29
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

We built quite an interesting car for a client some years ago. Although not a legal street registerable car. We started with a 2000 GT-3 Cup. We cut the rear quarters as well as the rockers and installed GT-2 rear quarters with GT-2 vented openings for the GT-2 intercoolers along with the proper GT-2 rockers. We used the Cup engine as a base power plant but pumped it up to a 3.8, modified it for twin turbos, used engine management to control spark and fuel along with Turbo boost pressure. etc etc. The car was amazing at 700+ hp and the handling of a Cup.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

We cant wait to see it !!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:06 AM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was at the PCA races in Fontana the other day and saw some 993 GT2's along with some 6/7 GT3 cup cars. Not sure if this is accurate translation to what a street GT2 vs. cup car would be like, but the 993's had a clear advantage on that long straight (turbo power) and through the bank. The cup cars caught up a bit in the braking zone, but most of the time is made up on the long front straight.

I would vote in favor of your GT2.

Quick Reply: Place your bets. GT2 V. Cup car???