Sponsored by:

correct throw-out bearing for lwfw mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:08 AM
twinsnail
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Man, even when I know the answer, I'm too late, lol.

944 part with longer fingers. Just did it
is that the bearing housing or the pressure plate?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The 944 bearing has longer fingers that connect to the fork. The overall height of the LWF setup (or length coming off the end of the motor) is shorter that the dual mass setup. In order to correct the geometry a throw out bearing with longer arms is needed. Without this, the fork will be WAY over extended (angled towards motor on the one end and way too close to the slave cylinder rod on the other). Not sure it was even possible to do it wrong like this, but guess you can.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:07 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
The 944 bearing has longer fingers that connect to the fork. The overall height of the LWF setup (or length coming off the end of the motor) is shorter that the dual mass setup. In order to correct the geometry a throw out bearing with longer arms is needed. Without this, the fork will be WAY over extended (angled towards motor on the one end and way too close to the slave cylinder rod on the other). Not sure it was even possible to do it wrong like this, but guess you can.
Therefore I *assume* that, if it was indeed possible to install the shorter-fingered assembly, because of the "off" geometry, there would be a lot of side-load on the bearing with every activation, hence the premature wear.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:23 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by twinsnail
is that the bearing housing or the pressure plate?
This
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2011, 02:46 PM
twinsnail
Rennlist Member

Smile

Therefore I *assume* that, if it was indeed possible to install the shorter-fingered assembly, because of the "off" geometry, there would be a lot of side-load on the bearing with every activation, hence the premature wear.
Faust u r the man! that is not the bearing we used, the side pressure u described snapped off one of the wings on the stock, street bearing bracket
I really appreciate this pic and input
fyi; upon initial install of lwfw and replacement of bearing following, setup worked great for about 15,000 miles, then the following: 1. buzzing pedal at around 5-6 thousand rpm shifts 2. inconsistent engaement/disengagement points points 3. vibration
Old 03-13-2011, 02:59 PM
twinsnail
Rennlist Member

Man, even when I know the answer, I'm too late, lol.

944 part with longer fingers. Just did it
taking this to my mechanic tommorow, did u happen to take any photos of the stock bearing? I think that we may have put the wrong bearing in twice and it would be nice to have a pic if thats the case when the motor comes out
BTY: I'm thinking that the growling expected with the lwfw will be less with the correct set-up PS how did u figure all of this out?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

The parts have been around forever. Whoever did your install (sold parts and did the labor) screwed you. The PET from the early 90's had all of the proper parts listed.... They have not changed...

Also check your input shaft splines and make sure you have the guide tubes as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:31 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

No photos of dual-mass setup throw bearing, we replaced the bearing because we were in there and I found it to be a bit noisy when spinning by hand. The bearing you remove should look the same as above but with shorter "stubby" fingers if not the proper 944 part.

I didn't figure anything out, that's the way I got the car, but since P/N info is in the PET, it's not some obscure knowledge. Probably something that the guys working with stock cars are just not used to however. Remember, the RS never came to North America.

BTW, I had a bit more chatter than normal when releasing the clutch pedal. Turns out one of the needle bearings for the fork pivot shaft was missing (gearbox has been in and out a few times prior to me). What this means is that the fork/shaft were a bit crooked so I was probably not getting a "clean" release/engage. It's much better now. Just a heads-up.

Good luck.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:48 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

The parts have been around forever. The PET from the early 90's had all of the proper parts listed.... They have not changed...
And probably they will never change it.. 2010RS still has the same..
Checked my last installation pics (more fun than looking in the PET) : )
Attached Images   
Old 03-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Yep... Have sold and installed hundreds of them for all cars (many on my own...).. Great way to energize a sluggish car due to some compliancy reasoning....
Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

u need to buy ALL the parts.
i sourced a set of LWFW from bob long ago on one of my 04gt3. he provided EVERYTHING. flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, guide tube, throw out bearsing and even bolts. everything went on perfectly. i like one stop shopping.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

What was that John like 10 cars ago
Old 03-13-2011, 10:37 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

What was that John like 10 cars ago
well, i would have bought more crap if you are here.
FL is too hot. move back.
i am in woodside now much closer.

Quick Reply: correct throw-out bearing for lwfw mod