Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking opinions Brey Krause GT3 seat mount.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:32 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Question Seeking opinions Brey Krause GT3 seat mount.

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of purchasing some R-9079 Side Mount Brackets for GT3 Race Seat... the ones that install to the manual sliders.

At 6'4" I'm just ok in the car, but wouldn't mind the extra headroom. With long legs, I always struggled getting closer to the steering wheel.

Besides lowering the seat by 1" (good thing), does the BK mount above recline the seat even further back than the stock side mount (that would be bad)?

David
Old 02-02-2011, 06:41 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Read this: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...highlight=brey

post n10

In a few words I couldn't use the lower front one of the brey that would bring the seat in same recline position as oem. And end up using the front upper one. Not bad for me since I have a steering wheel extension but without one.. would be an issue.

J.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Great all you need reply by John. FWIW I installed them on my seats because I felt the front edge of the seat was too low with the stock brackets. The B-K mounts got me the backward tilt I was looking for.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Read this: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...highlight=brey

post n10

In a few words I couldn't use the lower front one of the brey that would bring the seat in same recline position as oem. And end up using the front upper one. Not bad for me since I have a steering wheel extension but without one.. would be an issue.

J.
Thanks for the response John. You're a wealth of info.

In reading the posts in the referred thread, it appears that some managed to wiggle the seat to work in the lowest position (unreclined position). Do you think this is feasible given that I have the oem sub bar?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,603 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael B.
Great all you need reply by John. FWIW I installed them on my seats because I felt the front edge of the seat was too low with the stock brackets. The B-K mounts got me the backward tilt I was looking for.
+1 I had them in my '04 and '07 and they gave me the rake I was looking for also!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:04 PM
outline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know johns view/experience is different but i have two seats, both with porsche sub bars, running these side mounts in the lower front holes just fine.
i had to work from front left round to front right via the rear bolts to get it to fit, and sit on the seat to get the last front bolt in but its in there and has clearance on the sub bar. (with the BK sub bar it wouldnt work at all).

ill take some photos when im over at the garage this week and post up.

im 6'4" and these made a huge difference for me. i dont like the seats with the fronts in the uppermost holes, i feel its too tilted back but each to their own.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,603 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by neilwight
i know johns view/experience is different but i have two seats, both with porsche sub bars, running these side mounts in the lower front holes just fine.
i had to work from front left round to front right via the rear bolts to get it to fit, and sit on the seat to get the last front bolt in but its in there and has clearance on the sub bar. (with the BK sub bar it wouldnt work at all).

im 6'4" and these made a huge difference for me. i dont like the seats with the fronts in the uppermost holes, i feel its too tilted back but each to their own.
part of the reason I liked it so 'raked' back is that it gives you (well me) more legroom and a better position for heel/toe ...

getting the sub-belts onto the sub bar must be 'fun' if you use some of the lower holes for the B-K side mounts ...
Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM
outline
Racer

i guess physical shape comes into play here. i find the upper hole pushes my knees up into the wheel while using the lower supports my back better and also gives me more footwell space. obviously everyone is different proportions and weight etc.
reading johns post it seems that the upper hole would also give him issues with clearance against the wheel but for the fact that he has an extension.

as for sub strap fitting. goes in nice and easy with the seat/frame out of the car. the seat scoops up here and there is plenty of space. i leave the sub strap in all the time. when im not using it i just lift the cushions and put them down on top of it, same with the lap belts. keeps things nice and tidy and only leaves me with the straps on the cage to put in when i want to use them.

ill take the seat out and take photos when im over tomorrow or friday since its clear no one believes me. this wasnt a shop fit however, i did it myself and have had the seats in and out more times than i can count and on and off the frame almost as many.
it needs a bit of weight to get the last bolt in but no more than can be achieved by leaning on it as you put in the bolt.

by starting with a front bolt, doing the rear two and then the other front side it allows the seat to squeeze the slider arm a touch and the seat to go on. doing front and then rear, or vice versa however doesnt let it squeeze the arm and it wont go on. go figure.
the secret is to work either clockwise or anti clockwise with the bolts.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neilwight

I'm glad to hear this!

Raking back further than stock is something I am trying to avoid for two reasons; maintaining short reach to steering wheel and avoiding contact between the seat back and the roll bar.

I look forward to the pictures you've graciously offered.

I believe I will just go ahead and try to fetch myself a set. If anyone knows of anyone who has some of these lying around, let them know that I am ready to take them off their hands.

Cheers!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Neil I do beleive you but still beleive it's a foul from Brey that in fact you have to make a mark / scratch on the bottom of the recaro to manage to push the lever down in order to fit the seat in lower position at the front.
Also note that I have a concern that pushing the lever down with the seat, the pins that hold it into the sliders are lifted some mm so maybe there is a safety issue there..

J.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1 I had them in my '04 and '07 and they gave me the rake I was looking for also!
Ha! Yeah, I think you were one of the reasons why I placed an order for them!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:14 PM
outline
Racer

john,
agreed. its a less then efficient design for sure and while it does fit and work, the fact it requires puzzle solving and fouls the bottom of the seat is less than fantastic IMHO too. im with you here.

as an aside, i have a set of floor mounting with integrated sub bar mounts from BK and these also dont work properly if you want the seat in the furthest back position. with the seat side mounts attached to the floor mounts you cannot attach to the floor, with the mounts attached to the floor first the side frames cannot be attached. quite an oversight!!!! interested to hear how anyone got round this. i had to drill the sidemount so the rear is held to the floor mounts and the floor itself by the main mounting bolts. given the faff with their sidemounts seeing this didnt fill me with much joy to be honest. the seat also cant go back as far as id like with this either. with it in its furthest back position its forward of where i sit and thats forward of the seat all the way back. its a mess and i just went back to the regular frame setup.

ref the pins, as far as i can tell it only seems to press on the mechanism/take the slack out of the mechanism rather than start to operate it, it doesnt begin lifting the pins. i did also have the same thought as yourself that it may make things less then secure but when i got it all in, the first thing i did was remove then refit while watching carefully to see if there was lift beginning and there wasnt. its enough that it scuffs the base of the seat but it doesnt actually move the pins any

david,
ill get photos up as soon as i get a chance to take them. just FYI, if you plan on running a harness at some point, i picked up an extra passengers side side mount pair and used the inboard one on the outboard of the drivers side. this gave me nice and handy place to attach the lap belts on both sides along with the seat belt recepticle. it left me with a pair of blank side mounts with no lug that i just threw out.
if you dont do this you will have to try and fab something up as an attachment point. i guess you could use where the seatbelt attaches and run that strap longer but it doesnt seem ideal imho. using the extra sidemount keeps things tidy.
not sure if it applies but worth thinking about.

not sure if you were aware but i have the porsche side mounts for tall drivers in my cup car. they are about on par with the BK ones since the seat frame is the same and the lever issue governs the low point. if you want PNs just let me know and ill look up my service manuals.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:58 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had it on the original slider, but I was seating too high for my taste, so I went to the fixed BK option. Took 15 minutes and a wheel extension to seat at the right position. Before I could not see my cluster or anything in my dash as I have a Momo steering wheel. Now It's perfect.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by DHI
Besides lowering the seat by 1" (good thing), does the BK mount above recline the seat even further back than the stock side mount (that would be bad)?
I installed a set about a month ago. Yes, it does recline the seat a few degrees (I am guessing). I love it; much more comfortable. It does take maybe an inch or so out of the travel of the seat before you touch the Teq bar, but not a big deal for me; I’m ~6’1” and didn’t sit all the way back to begin with.

The first drive sitting an inch lower was interesting; felt like I was a little kid, making vroom vroom sounds, except it was real.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:09 AM
outline
Racer

can i ask how tall you are and what BK product you used? how far back in your car is the seat?
i got the 9044 setup with integrated sub bar and the 9079 side mounts and its a total no go without a ton of drilling and even after that it wasnt ideal and still too far forward.
i had the side mounts as far back as they could safely and physically go, a decent amount was hanging totally off the rear of the floor mount in fresh air and i couldnt get them any further without being able to get the rear floor mounting bolt in and still no good. the seat was still forward of the point where i usually sit, and where i usually sit is still forward of the seat pushed right back on the factory sliders.
interested to hear more details or see some pics incase i missed something when i tried.

Quick Reply: Seeking opinions Brey Krause GT3 seat mount.