Sponsored by:

Best track seats and roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Get a proper rear cage that at least bolts to rear struts.
Oem clubsport for gt3 6 is FIA approved and the lightest.

For mixed use and normal height get the oem recaro seats gt3 seats with oem sliders.

If you track get a Shcroth 6p with ASM its the only belt that reduces head strain when hans not used.

instead of Hans might also consider Isaac HR system. IMO better than hans.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:43 PM
tdarby
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a brand new set of oem carbon folding leather 997 gt2 seats that I am thinking of selling. never installed or sat in. darbytodd@aol.com they are located in northern nj.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:46 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Hey Allan. What prevented dasbar from passing the rules? Mike
- Local rules want a 20 sq in plate on the floor for each "foot" of the main hoop. Plate must be either bolted through the floor to a similar sized plate under the car (to form a plate->floor->plate sandwich) or hoop must be bolted to a plate that is welded to the floor.

- They also want a diagonal cross bar on the main hoop. One of the tech guys didn't think the rear X bracing that is about 4" from the corner of the hoop was good enough. Considering the rest of the bar's design, I disagree, but I don't do tech.

- ...and finally, they also want the two parts of the bar to be bolted together with two bolts each side of the splice instead of DAS's one bolt alone (inner splice tube is welded but they want that bolted too). I don't think there is enough of a projection with the inner sleeve to properly have two bolts go through the X brace piece. I completely disagree with this. The fit is very tight (I used a rubber mallet to pound the halves together during installation) and there is no way it's coming apart in a collision.

- I don't know what they'd think of the rear strut mounting either. We didn't get that far.

IMHO I think it's mostly a bunch of crap. I can see the floor plate thing and how it would be nice if the supplied foot was larger, but even with that smaller foot, it's also fastened to the seat belt anchor point and that area is really strong. It would take a lot of force to puncture the main hoop through the floor. I was prepared to weld in a larger foot, but when the other stuff came up I decided it was too much work for this bar. It's already at 65lbs and with a 1-3/4" diagonal added it'll only get heavier. Compare that weight to the full oem cage that's FIA certified!
Old 12-24-2010, 05:03 AM
Ilker@SCB
Banned

Don't get knock off seats - do it right and get 911slow GT3 seats or any other Recaro or OEM seat.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:38 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PM sent to 911 Slow - thanks!!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:36 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SportsCarBoutique
Don't get knock off seats - do it right and get 911slow GT3 seats or any other Recaro or OEM seat.
+1

A buddy went into the wall with the back of his car and his replica seat bent and pulled away from the mount and he smacked his head into the roll bar. Had to go to the hospital.

Bottom line is replica seats will cost you way too much!
Old 12-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3'er
If you are going to use harnesses, you should definately use a HANS. I have Euro GT3 seats and a DAS bar - both of which I like a lot - but I don't use harnesses (I don't like the clutter) partly because I don't use a HANS. With harnesses you don't get the benefit of the airbags. (Someone please tell me if my logic is flawed).
It doesn't have to be cluttered. I disconnect the lap belts, the sub belt tucks in under the seat, and the shoulder harnesses are looped around the side of the roll bar.

My harnesses are black so you have to take a close look to even see them.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Everybody raves about the Tequipment semi cage (i have one too) and I am in no doubt that if Porsche puts their name on it, it has been thoroughly tested. But has anybody actually seen it after a crash ? I am just curious what i can and can not handle ?
Old 12-24-2010, 07:59 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes, when I bought my car, they were installed. I had 996 GT3 replicas by that "company".They are sh*t. If you are serious at all about safety, do not consider them. They are poorly made, and have not been safety tested. There are many good racing seats by good companies... I've had and have Sparcos now, and like them, but there are many to choose from. Again, I encourage you to sit in one before you buy. They fit differently.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:02 PM
tdarby
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for those who have asked I am not sure what the 997 gt2 seats are worth. they are brand new out of a box, leather and they are complete with sliders and seat belt receptacles
Old 12-25-2010, 11:42 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 996 GT3 seats and DAS bar in my 997.1.......very happy with both.

If you can't find a nice used pair of 996 GT3 seats, Suncoast has them new for $4,575.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...e=996GT3_seats

Unfortunately they used to be much cheaper.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:32 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Thx
Old 12-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by tdarby
for those who have asked I am not sure what the 997 gt2 seats are worth. they are brand new out of a box, leather and they are complete with sliders and seat belt receptacles
About $6500 new from sun coast...
Old 12-26-2010, 09:44 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I researched this for a while for my '04 996.2GT3 and chose the GMG RSR bar, Schroth 8-pt HANS-compatible harnesses. I use a HANS sport 20L. The bar is pricey, but the best around IMO. There is no squeaking, and it stiffens the car with the strut tower attachments. Visibility is good. As a neurosurgeon, I would be remiss not protecting my cervical spine. There are few worse fates than quadriplegia.

I would highly recommend anyone tracking a car use a roll bar, helmet, and a head and neck restraint system. A 3-point inertial streetbelt is not only a poor restraint system in an accident, it does not allow you to have adequate car control once you are pulling track-level G-forces, and in this sense, promotes the likelihood that you will have an accident.

Using 3-points, you'll expend too much effort bracing yourself, sliding around your standard seats, gripping the steering wheel. When you are harnessed in you are one with the car and the haptic feedback from steering and chassis are transmitted to you, but you maintain control of the wheel and pedals without focusing on stabilizing your body.

I have the Euro GT3 seats and like them. However, despite being average height the shoulder flares (elephant ears) hunch my shoulders forward, which is fatiguing after an hour or two. I am getting a Sparco Pro 2000 after trying out many seats. The Sparcos have good lateral support, my shoulders aren't pushed anteriorly, they are FIA-approved (unlike the Porsche seats), have fire-retardant cloth, and are less expensive. PM me if you are interested in my leather GT3 seats.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Singe
Track Day

No mention of 5- or 4- point harnesses so I thought I'd ask.

Have Recaro Sport seats that came with the 2004 GT3 that only support 4-point harness. Definitely I am going with roll bar this season - car had that removed before I bought it. However would like to not get new seats as this is my daily driver that sees 1-2 Driver's Ed track events per month. 4-point harness seems to make sense as there is no club racing in my future. Good/Bad?? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Best track seats and roll bar