Sponsored by:

A Little PS Help? Black Wheels Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:12 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally, Done

So after a few weeks, the wheels are done, the tires mounted, and the centercaps painted and installed.
You'll notice that I switched to the crest centercaps; the painting of the 'GT3' was more detail that I could handle with a brsh and paint, and I don't have the time or patience to tape it all off. I actually like the crest caps I think better right now.

The tires are new to me. I've never owned them before, but they hav e received good ratings and I have a friend who liked them, and since I really only drive on street tires for casual drives to coffee and fun runs on the weekends, I saw no sense in spending $1500+ for PS2s; all 4 Hankooks were $740, delivered and another $60 rebate to boot.

No full body shots yet; its been rainy and crappy here and I just finished the centrecap painting yesterday. I'll snap some this weekend.

Front of front wheel

Back of front wheel

Front of rear wheel

Back of rear wheel

Old 01-03-2011, 09:40 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Good job! like the crest also.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

So Scott, what do YOU think?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Keep us in the loop on the hankook performance! I might explore this option too as my rears are getting low...
Old 01-04-2011, 08:08 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Keep us in the loop on the hankook performance! I might explore this option too as my rears are getting low...
FWIW I've had them on my M3 for about a year now. They stick just fine for a street tire, but they must have a really soft sidewall as the car feels like a wet noodle until it takes a set. Just doesn't respond to direction changes very well at all. I came from a tire with an extremely stiff side wall (Bridgestone S03 pole positions) and I just can't get used to the soft feel.

Ride has improved though and as I said earlier once they take a set they do stick really well. The wet noodle goes away some at nearly 40lbs of air. For a street tire I'm probably overly critical as at that price point it's really hard to complain about them.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by FFaust
So Scott, what do YOU think?
I love the look with the crests. When I had the all black GT3 caps installed, it struck me as just a bit too much black.

Originally Posted by Serge944
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
FWIW I've had them on my M3 for about a year now. They stick just fine for a street tire, but they must have a really soft sidewall as the car feels like a wet noodle until it takes a set. Just doesn't respond to direction changes very well at all. I came from a tire with an extremely stiff side wall (Bridgestone S03 pole positions) and I just can't get used to the soft feel.

Ride has improved though and as I said earlier once they take a set they do stick really well. The wet noodle goes away some at nearly 40lbs of air. For a street tire I'm probably overly critical as at that price point it's really hard to complain about them.
Holy cow man. S03s? How old were those tires?! I loved S03s BTW.

I'll report back in a few months. I can see how they might be squishy. My initial reaction just to inspecting them visually is that the tread looks really deep, so there is a lit of rubber there to maybe lend itself to the wet noodle feeling. After the monoball rear shock mounts, I might need a little more squish for the street We'll see.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SH || NC
Holy cow man. S03s? How old were those tires?! I loved S03s BTW.
Haha they were pretty darn old. I've owned the M3 for 6+ years and only put 20k miles on it. Takes awhile to go through tires even with an agressive alignment
Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 AM
mrzoop
deviated
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

a month late - but it killed 10 minutes at my desk...

I am getting my stock street wheels PCd soon and I cannot seem to make a decision between going with bright silver again, or full black (I will not do the RS black centers only)

Can someone PS my wheels full black? TIA

Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 PM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll report back in a few months. We'll see.
Just wanted to hear how you like the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

I’ve only put a couple hundred dry street miles on them, but so far they are fine; sidewall feels stiff. Sorry I don’t have a lot of feedback yet. Its a weekend car, and I have track wheels/tires.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts
Talking

Really like your black wheels. But next time just save yourself the paint job. Keep the wheels silver but use the brakes to the max
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: A Little PS Help? Black Wheels Please