How to put my GT3 in Hibernation ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^just if **** happens I rather keep battery in car with trickle charger. If u have a fire in the house u can drive car outa there. Don't ask me how I know. Mike
since you are not done with house yet not too late to add a fire pole so you can slide from 3rd floor right to your gt3!

and if no fire, we can use it for pole dancing. i dont need that big TV in your man cave. i'll pay for the pole. you hire the dancers.

i disconnect the negative terminal when i store my race car.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleifer
I guess trickle charger is something like a battery tender ? What do you guys think about storing the car in a garage which gets cold ?
Yes re the trickle chargers. I have 2 x Porsche trickle chargers and my cars are stored in an unheated - cold - garage from early Nov to April. No problems...
Old 11-03-2010, 04:49 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Chicago and have the same car and conditions as you. Trickle charger is a must and also drive the car once a month or so on the nice sunny days in Dec. January and February. There are lots of days that are cold and clear with NO SALT on the road. Your motor loves cold weather. Just don't stomp the right peddle until everything is up to temperature. If you just park it you will miss some fun.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:29 PM
CT03911
Banned

I agree with Spare Tire. Drive it when you can, when the roads are totally free of salt and most sand.

Rare days yes, but they happen.

Trickle charger/battery tender for sure, non stop

Fresh oil

Car cover is nice

"Stabil" in the gas. You have to mix it and you said it was just filled. I'd drive it ten miles to wherever you want to buy the gas stabilizer. Bring a little funnel. Once y7ou have the bottle of Stabil and you think you have burned a half gallon of gas, hit a gas station, add the correct amount of Stabil and fill it up. Drive it home for the final "mixing".

A complete detail inside and out is a must, leather treatment etc

At least start the car every few weeks and let it get hot.

I do go up a couple on the tire pressure. You'll lose some air pressure when it is 20 out and a month has gone by too.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 PM
serickson
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also increase tire pressure to 50 psi and place the car on top of a large 4-6 mil plastic sheet to prevent moisture from the garage floor rusting the rotors. Plastic can be purchased from any home center.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine will be stored in a not heated garage very shortly. Aside from a final cleaning and a car cover, stabilizer and P-car trickle charger and oil change, I put Bounce dryer sheets around/on the wheels, (top and insdie), front air scoops for the radiators, around the mufflers, in the exhaust tips...all done to keep out the f^%king mice. I use mouse traps, too!...For some reason the little buggers love German wires....I was told it is the cornstarch used in the corloring.......go figure???????........also, I hang a damp rid on the bottom of the steering wheel/adjuster......this will absorb the moisture (humidity????) that shows up in Spring, when the snows melt and the roads are still covered with salt and sheeeite (at least around here)....... that should get you thru the winter, even if the garage is not heated....been doing that for 5 years now.....no problems.
R\
Scott
Old 11-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Nordschleifer
Instructor

Do you guys recommend an oil change before storage ? I thought I should do that at the beginning of next season.
Starting it up once in a while and drive it around sounds like a good idea but even on a nice dry day you can have some salt pick up from the tires - I'm a bit **** about that. I'll probably just let it run warm in the garage.
Love this forum - great advice - thanks guys
Murat
Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Nordschleifer
Instructor

I would not have thought about the mice ! Thanks Scott
Old 11-04-2010, 12:19 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

100 today in So Cal but we got Jerry Brown again....

Quick Reply: How to put my GT3 in Hibernation ?