Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moton Clubsport Users. What is the best set-up for steet/track use.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:48 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Moton Clubsport Users. What is the best set-up for steet/track use.

I'm looking to move out of the KWV3 set-up I have on my car.. Although they are better than the stock set-up I feel I'm better suited for a Moton set-up, based on my driving style.. The V3's are great!! for the street and real good on the track..

My question is, those of you that have Moton Club Sports.. How do they ride on the street? My car is a 50/50 street/track car. Also what spring ratio would you suggest.

TIA: and once I pull the trigger on these I'll have a nice set of KW's for sale here on R-List.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Just come drive my car sometime if you want to see what they are like on the street. You know where I live
Old 08-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
My question is, those of you that have Moton Club Sports.. How do they ride on the street? My car is a 50/50 street/track car. Also what spring ratio would you suggest.
Properly sprung and set up, simply plush.

Spring rates really depend on what tires you will use, type of useage, and driver experience. Everyone has their preferences but I usually shoot for a 200 lb split.

FWIW, I have one set of brand-new Clubsports left I'm offering for 2% over cost.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm looking to move out of the KWV3 set-up I have on my car.. Although they are better than the stock set-up I feel I'm better suited for a Moton set-up, based on my driving style.. The V3's are great!! for the street and real good on the track..

TIA: and once I pull the trigger on these I'll have a nice set of KW's for sale here on R-List.
Why you dont try to adjust them and just buy a proper spring set for the KWs and save your money. They are not exactly **** they just need different springs and a good alignment, bound rebound adjustment gap is not bad for half track half road.
Just an idea.

John
Old 08-03-2010, 03:23 PM
007DT
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Why you dont try to adjust them and just buy a proper spring set for the KWs and save your money. They are not exactly **** they just need different springs and a good alignment, bound rebound adjustment gap is not bad for half track half road.
Just an idea.

John

No they are not junk... But I've increased the spring ratio to the max on the front without having them revalved. I've corner balanced, and aligned the car, and I adjust them as need based on the track and feel. But I came off of JRZ 12 ways on my Koni car so I'm driving the car (IMO) outside the KW's spring set up... To me they were good at tracks like Mid Ohio but I bottom out the front end and get purposing at high speed tracks such as Road Atlanta.

Again the KW V3 is a great set-up.. But perhaps not for everyone..
Old 08-03-2010, 03:25 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

What springs you run front? Have the specs?
And what height?

John
Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
007DT
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
What springs you run front? Have the specs?
And what height?

John
Stock KW V3 set-up is

970 Rear
230 Front

I increased the front to 400 as that was the max KW suggested before having to re-valve the front end.

Not positive on my exact ride height. She sits low with all the proper Drop Links, dog bones, etc.. The bottoming out isn't the suspension rather the front tire in the wheel well.

315/245 set-up
Old 08-03-2010, 04:11 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I think you have to start with what spring rates you want, and what your uses will be regarding street driving and how bumpy the tracks you want to maximize for. I've heard of spring rates from 600/600 to 1000/1200. I'm at 800/1000, and it is marginal but possible on Michigan roads, and OK on most tracks. Then, are you using slicks, R6s or Street tires? Are you going to use stock sway bars? What will your ride height be? And, as Steve said, what experience level/driving style?
Depending on track conditions, tire age and type, track temps, I am between 4 and 2 with all adjustments, sways set at middle.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:46 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Stock KW V3 set-up is

970 Rear
230 Front

I increased the front to 400 as that was the max KW suggested before having to re-valve the front end.

Not positive on my exact ride height. She sits low with all the proper Drop Links, dog bones, etc.. The bottoming out isn't the suspension rather the front tire in the wheel well.

315/245 set-up
Wow KW have a large front/rear spring rate ratio. Even with 400 front is too much of a gap IMO. If you think that the factory\s are
225 F
550 R
And also the height ratio F/R plays a role as well as the whole weight of the car is important too.
I dont know what tyres u r running.
Also I dont know if you changed the helper springs because the total length of spring plays a vital role as well.
Anyway it is very difficult to advice from a forum about suspension too many variables but assuming you are using dot tyres I still thing that is cheaper to revalve fronts and move to 700 front and retain the rears or soften the rear to 700 and play with sways for better balance. Why throw away a good quality suspension. its not that you only race the car.
Go to a shop that knows these things and ask for their help.
One thing also is dont try to set kw in factory height they are not designed for that.
The rubbing is from the 245, I solved that by installing 255/35s if you can find them in your tyre brand.

John
Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
I think you have to start with what spring rates you want, and what your uses will be regarding street driving and how bumpy the tracks you want to maximize for. I've heard of spring rates from 600/600 to 1000/1200. I'm at 800/1000, and it is marginal but possible on Michigan roads, and OK on most tracks. Then, are you using slicks, R6s or Street tires? Are you going to use stock sway bars? What will your ride height be? And, as Steve said, what experience level/driving style?
Depending on track conditions, tire age and type, track temps, I am between 4 and 2 with all adjustments, sways set at middle.
Having riden in Chuck's car recently the 800/1000 is a great mix. I'm sure it's firm on the street, and a little soft for some smooth tracks or if he was using slicks but if I were building a car right now I'd be seriously leaning toward the 800/1000 setup.

My old 996 had 500/900 on a more conventional damper and that was a great mix but not nearly the track feel I was after. Chucks car had an amazing feel that I could never get in my old car.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:01 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is some info in the archives. I think 600/800 was a popular combo for Moton CS being used on a street/track car. When it comes to Moton shock settings for compression & rebound, keep in mind the CS variety up until now has only 7 settings. The revamped line just coming out has 15 positions for the CS line, the same fine tuning levels as the racing line.

Cheers,
Old 08-03-2010, 06:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
There is some info in the archives. I think 600/800 was a popular combo for Moton CS being used on a street/track car. When it comes to Moton shock settings for compression & rebound, keep in mind the CS variety up until now has only 7 settings. The revamped line just coming out has 15 positions for the CS line, the same fine tuning levels as the racing line.

Cheers,
i just PM'd james bond that info.
i think over 6/8 is *** crushing and ball rattling on street. SF street for sure.

the 14 position CS is out already. wonder why i know this.
the cannister looks just like motorsport version.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ

Cheers,
Originally Posted by mooty
i just PM'd james bond that info.
i think over 6/8 is *** crushing and ball rattling on street. SF street for sure.

the 14 position CS is out already. wonder why i know this.
the cannister looks just like motorsport version.
so if the "new" cs line has the same adjustment as the ms line... and the canisters on the "new" cs line look like the ms canisters....

what is the difference between the new cs line vs the ms line?

ps - moton's website blows just not as bad as jrz's website...
Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
so if the "new" cs line has the same adjustment as the ms line... and the canisters on the "new" cs line look like the ms canisters....

what is the difference between the new cs line vs the ms line?

ps - moton's website blows just not as bad as jrz's website...
the innards are not the same b/n CS and MS.
and CS is much cheaper than MS.
this way you can save your money and buy my trailer
Old 08-03-2010, 11:31 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
the innards are not the same b/n CS and MS.
and CS is much cheaper than MS.
this way you can save your money and buy my trailer
weiner's 2% over cost old style cs ones are calling me...

you need to hold on to that trailer for a few more years but I appreciate you looking out for my best interest in that dept ;-)

Quick Reply: Moton Clubsport Users. What is the best set-up for steet/track use.