Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some 996 GT3 Guidance... Thanks!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:17 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Need Some 996 GT3 Guidance... Thanks!!

Hello, I think it's finally time in my life to start positioning myself to own what I have always haled as the Pinnacle of Porsches, a model with the letters GT attached to its designation. I will be sad to see my beloved 993 find a new home, but I'm sure that will be overcome.

I have a few questions that I would like to find answers to by the 996 GT3 owners. Thanks in advance for your help and insight !

(1) Why are the majority of GT3's being sold typically have less than 15k miles?

(2) what does a typical tune up consist of and whats an average cost? and do most of you do your own tune up's / maintenance?

(3) For now I dont plan on tracking the car and would love to find a non tracked car, which I am sure is a little harder to come by, but is there something that I need to keep an eye out for that a PPI might not catch. I read possibly here something about over rev history??

(4) My budget for now is $50-55K price range, can a well kept 2004 be found in that range? I just looked thru the completed section on FleaBay and noticed a yellow 04 sold for $51K. which seemed out of place to a majority of higher priced 04 GT3's.

Thanks again!!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:39 PM
woodstock964gt3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure on the mileage thing. I actually thought the same thing myself. I picked mine up last week. 15k miles immaculate shape. Finding one that hasn't been tracked is a little more difficult. I think you will find a non tracked car closer to 60k than 50.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

This is just purely from my personal experience w/ my GT3 and does not mean that's the case in general:

1: GT3 is not my only car. I drive my Toyota to work everyday. Most of the miles on the GT3 are going to and back from the track..

2: If not being tracked, I think your maintenance cost will be pretty reasonable. Oil change once or 2x a year will be enough (around $200 each). Spark plugs (since you mentioned tune up) will be more but they are only required every 20k+ miles.. Regarding doing the work on my own. I can probably do most of the basic maintenance but I let the race shop I work with do them because they throw in free tech inspection (required for track days) this way. They are also a big sponsor at the local PCA chapter so they give back some of their profit to sponsor PCA events and such.

3: I would recommend you to look at tracked car as well. I would argue that most tracked cars are probably taken care of better than non-tracked car. Just make sure that they are not beat to death with a lot of deferred maintenance, you will be fine.

4: No idea about the price range.. but I think you should be able to buy a nice example in the mid-to-high 50s.

Good luck!!

Last edited by cfjan; 05-15-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Welcome. i have plenty of GT3 exp., let me help you spend your money.

Originally Posted by faster
Hello, I think it's finally time in my life to start positioning myself to own what I have always haled as the Pinnacle of Porsches, a model with the letters GT attached to its designation. I will be sad to see my beloved 993 find a new home, but I'm sure that will be overcome.
i had 97 993 carerra S. great looking car, but it is not in the same league as 996gt3 stock to stock. it sounds and feel more solid, but driving dynamic is hands down not as good as 996GT3. 993 in us market has wrong gearing and just not as agile as the waterpumper

(1) Why are the majority of GT3's being sold typically have less than 15k miles?
most GT3 owners have 2,3, 4 cars. so GT3 doesn't get used much.
some GT3 owners are track rats and only track the car
some GT3 owners feel that GT3 will melt and vaporize if driven too much.
some GT3 owners are old and soft, feels that GT3 will break their spine and rattle their kidney into pieces. (the ride is NOT comfy).
but really, there is reason not to drive it everyday.

(2) what does a typical tune up consist of and whats an average cost? and do most of you do your own tune up's / maintenance?
oil change, brake fluid, air filter, and such are easy. and even if you hired out wont be too much.
it will not cost more than 993 for sure.

(3) For now I dont plan on tracking the car and would love to find a non tracked car, which I am sure is a little harder to come by, but is there something that I need to keep an eye out for that a PPI might not catch. I read possibly here something about over rev history??
ECU dump from dealer will tell you over rev history.
i dont care about PPI, personally. i inspect for accidents only. everything else, i have found to be bullet proof. if you end up with a PCCB car, make sure the rotors are good. they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to replace.

(4) My budget for now is $50-55K price range, can a well kept 2004 be found in that range? I just looked thru the completed section on FleaBay and noticed a yellow 04 sold for $51K. which seemed out of place to a majority of higher priced 04 GT3's.
55k will get you a very nice car.
60k cars are possible, but no too many are that nice.
beyond 60k is rare, not impossible
below 50k is also not common, but can be found.

when you are ready to pull the trigger, i mean really ready to buy on the spot. make a post here as to color, price, option and such... always someone here ready to sell or know of a car that's good and for sale.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:06 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys!! I am taking in some older posts and trying to educate myself as much as possible. I always like to have some personal interaction with current owners so I appreciate your time time to share your personal thoughts and suggestions.

CJFAN, love the white! you have a great looking car!!

Mooty, thanks again, sent you a pm.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:45 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Good answers here and you definately need to use the search tool.

The 'track' comments always hit a nerve with me. Any driver can abuse a GT3 on the street or through improper maintenance. I just cannot understand the fear raised by the words 'track use'. Need to find out all you can about any candidate GT3 including of course if tracked, how much track time/miles and how it was treated.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:08 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enthusiast
Good answers here and you definately need to use the search tool.

The 'track' comments always hit a nerve with me. Any driver can abuse a GT3 on the street or through improper maintenance. I just cannot understand the fear raised by the words 'track use'. Need to find out all you can about any candidate GT3 including of course if tracked, how much track time/miles and how it was treated.
+1
Old 05-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Nice summary Moot. Bravo.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:50 PM
eab3@bellsouth.net
Instructor

Default transition from air cooled

All this (OMG performance) and the air conditioning really works!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Welcome. i have plenty of GT3 exp., let me help you spend your money.

i had 97 993 carerra S. great looking car, but it is not in the same league as 996gt3 stock to stock. it sounds and feel more solid, but driving dynamic is hands down not as good as 996GT3. 993 in us market has wrong gearing and just not as agile as the waterpumper

most GT3 owners have 2,3, 4 cars. so GT3 doesn't get used much.
some GT3 owners are track rats and only track the car
some GT3 owners feel that GT3 will melt and vaporize if driven too much.
some GT3 owners are old and soft, feels that GT3 will break their spine and rattle their kidney into pieces. (the ride is NOT comfy).
but really, there is reason not to drive it everyday.

oil change, brake fluid, air filter, and such are easy. and even if you hired out wont be too much.
it will not cost more than 993 for sure.

ECU dump from dealer will tell you over rev history.
i dont care about PPI, personally. i inspect for accidents only. everything else, i have found to be bullet proof. if you end up with a PCCB car, make sure the rotors are good. they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to replace.

when you are ready to pull the trigger, i mean really ready to buy on the spot. make a post here as to color, price, option and such... always someone here ready to sell or know of a car that's good and for sale.
I totally agree with Mooty's comments ...

just to amplify, as an example my '07 GT3 only had 5xxx miles on it when I traded it ... only because I did my "boring" miles in a BMW... so the GT3
only came out on special occasions ...

MY '04 had 900 mi when I bought it because the orginal owner didnt like it!

for me its the rawest car ... the sharpest GT3 ...

while overrevs are a concern, these cars are BULLETPROOF ... dont fret if it has been tracked, get a PPI to checkout the wear components: tyres, rotors, pads, shocks, LSD, change the engine and transmission oil, drain the brake fluid, change the pads ... your are good to go ...

Also, use the RL forum, find an RL'ers car, buy it, it will have been loved and cared for ... by people like yourself ...

also ... dont nickel and dime the seller, I traded my '07 to the dealer because the market is N&Ding ... it was advertised by the dealer for another 18k w/cpo
and new tyres ... fortunately the buyer had some intel as to the trade in price
and got a good deal ...

so treat your buyer with some respect ... and buy a great RL GT3
Old 05-16-2010, 07:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Have u test driven one yet? If not u should- it ain't the greatest ride on crappy roads. Also no rear seats if that's important to u. Mike
Old 05-16-2010, 07:54 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
...while overrevs are a concern, these cars are BULLETPROOF ... dont fret if it has been tracked, get a PPI to checkout the wear components: tyres, rotors, pads, shocks, LSD, change the engine and transmission oil, drain the brake fluid, change the pads ... your are good to go ...
+1

At a recent track day I was talking to the head mechanic of the local Porsche dealership (a very, very highly respected mechanic). I mentioned my engine + exhaust was bone stock and I shift at a fairly conservative 7K rpm when on the track. He said it'll last forever treated like that and I'll have nothing to worry about.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:05 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Thanks Guys for all the inputs and well taken.

996FLT6, no I have not driven one, to the best of my knowledge there is none in my neck of the woods of, possibly could find one in Indy or at Putnam.

i'm kind of used to the not so nicest ride with mine slammmed to the ground. my back seats were at one time very valuable to me with hauling my two daughters around, but now at 12 & 14 they have about used up the rear seat, my youngest has to sit sideways, so it wont be long and the rear seat delete wont be an issue.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Steve B in SD
Instructor

The only concern about "tracked" vs "non-tracked" cars is the reality that tracked cars are naturally run much harder than street cars. But, in the wrong hands, a street only car can suffer more damage from improper driving than a track car in the hands of a good driver. I don't think there can really be a universal assumption as to whether track use detracts from value or not. If you're looking to track a car, finding one that has been properly modified for track use can save you time & money to that end.

As far as ride goes, that's purely subjective, of course. To me, the GT3 is a nice, cushy, quiet car to get into after driving my Lotus for a few days. It all depends on your own pain vs. enjoyment threshold.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:22 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I recommend running a free want ad on PCA and Rennlist sites (including one on this forum). List your firm requirements and see what comes up. Some owners might want to sell their 996 GT3 but haven't taken any steps yet.

Quick Reply: Need Some 996 GT3 Guidance... Thanks!!