Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Lol, I knew it looked familiar!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:39 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts

P.S.- sorry Rad, Jerry, and Serge. The car was incredible before it was crashed.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:40 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

U like your red car TL : ). I do very much : ). Mike
Old 03-30-2010, 01:00 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Mike. Yes, I love it! Car is way more sexy to me in red than I ever found them before. Now just need to get over my fear or wrecking (another one) so I can get my butt back up to speed.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

mike, see TL's red car is much nicer than your red car. you NEED some real wheels, bud.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 AM
jgalaxy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Dude, I'm the one that crashed that car. Don't even touch it. The whole underside is just trashed, engine and tranny cases are cracked open, etc. My insurance company was over $50k on the estimate to repair it when they quit and called it a total loss. That car isn't worth more than $10k for parts.
LOL. Well, that's that. Small world it is. Funny how the car made it's way from the southwest corner of the continent to the north east (Quebec City region).

Thanks for confirmation. I'll hold out and keep on looking.

What actually happened to crash the car?
JL
Old 03-30-2010, 01:52 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

I wonder what the current owner bought the car for??? The insurance company wanted $15k for it as a salvage but the Porsche shop that looked at it while the estimate was being generated only offered me $10k. Whoever owns that car better hope any potential buyer doesn't find me b/c that car isn't worth much right now. However, if any of you do pick it up.. I have a bunch of spare parts for it!

Long story short... Serge had purchased the car from me but wasn't back from China. It had been sitting in my garage on a lift for about a month so I decided (foolishly) to take it for a little drive just to keep everything lubed/charged, etc. The ABS failure light came on when I started the car but I didn't think much of it. Accelerating up an on ramp I tried to move around a slow moving van. When I pulled out there was yet another slow moving car that I hadn't seen. I hit the brakes and the wheels just locked up and sent me sliding from one side of the road off the other and over a bunch or large desert rocks and onto an embankment on my side. Both airbags deployed. I wasn't going that fast. Police report said 55-60 mph but the R888's, slick on ramp, and lack of ABS send me sliding.

Thankfully, Serge was incredibly understanding. I owe him a few beers. Even more fortunately, I wasn't injured and I hadn't canceled my insurance. I came about a good bit ahead on the whole deal but certainly wish that it had never happened.

I have some pictures of the underside of the car for anyone that is really that interested but I really prefer to put the whole experience behind me.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:06 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Bummer about the car. IIRC Rad spent a small fortune on the transaxle alone. As you said, the main thing is you are ok. Cars can be replaced much easier than limbs or life.

Enjoy your new car.

Cheers,
Old 03-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Oldskewl
Instructor

Could this be the same car?

It was spotted in Canada in the 401 a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Oldskewl; 03-30-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: I
Old 03-30-2010, 02:48 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

TL my abs warning lite comes on sometimes when I start the car and so does the lightning bolt(alternator is going on the fritz). Don't know whether it was the abs that caused it to lock up but maybe your r888 were cold. I ran kuhmos in the rain at sp( it was dry in san Francisco til I went to sp) but gotta tell u virtually no grip under hard braking- had to pulse my brakes versus hard braking to make
it stop. Then next event- dry as a fiddle no issues with braking hard- weird. Mike ps- glad u like red- looks great. Mike
Old 03-30-2010, 03:52 PM
jgalaxy
Track Day

I wonder what the current owner bought the car for??? The insurance company wanted $15k for it as a salvage but the Porsche shop that looked at it while the estimate was being generated only offered me $10k. Whoever owns that car better hope any potential buyer doesn't find me b/c that car isn't worth much right now. However, if any of you do pick it up.. I have a bunch of spare parts for it!

Long story short... Serge had purchased the car from me but wasn't back from China. It had been sitting in my garage on a lift for about a month so I decided (foolishly) to take it for a little drive just to keep everything lubed/charged, etc. The ABS failure light came on when I started the car but I didn't think much of it. Accelerating up an on ramp I tried to move around a slow moving van. When I pulled out there was yet another slow moving car that I hadn't seen. I hit the brakes and the wheels just locked up and sent me sliding from one side of the road off the other and over a bunch or large desert rocks and onto an embankment on my side. Both airbags deployed. I wasn't going that fast. Police report said 55-60 mph but the R888's, slick on ramp, and lack of ABS send me sliding.

Thankfully, Serge was incredibly understanding. I owe him a few beers. Even more fortunately, I wasn't injured and I hadn't canceled my insurance. I came about a good bit ahead on the whole deal but certainly wish that it had never happened.

I have some pictures of the underside of the car for anyone that is really that interested but I really prefer to put the whole experience behind me.
I'm glad to hear that you werent hurt. Wow. Carzy stuff. No need for the pictures - track season is just about here in the north east and I had my heart set on a new ride. I think it's going to be a little too painful for both of us. Your loss and my new loss. LOL.

If you hear of a buddy who has a GT3 or know of a GT3 that is up for sale let me know. Track season opens up in about another 5-6 weeks. Just enought time to buy and prep a car.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:01 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, that's the car. I took the RS rear wing blade off at the IAA yard as well as removed the Shark Werks fire extinguisher and bracket. I left the original wing blade in the passenger seat.

Can't believe it ended up in Canada. Where is it listed for sale? I wonder what they paid for it at auction? Man that thing needs a lot of work. At first I thought it might be repairable and I even contemplated keeping it and trying to do something fun with it but the deeper we went the more badness we found. My guess is that whoever bought it from the auction took a closer look at it, realized what a disaster they had on their hands, and is now trying to dump it at what SEEMS to be a good price.

Somewhere at home I have the whole damage report, but, as stated above, its probably not even a complete estimation of what needs to be done. I have a few pics of the underside of the car too. Not good.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:24 PM
jgalaxy
Track Day

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Mine was from Chicago.
I've just started looking around the US (and Canada). How complex was it to bring the US based car in? Broker this yourself or through a dealer in Canada? How hard was it to get the recall statement letter from Porsche Canada?

Do you (or any of my new found buddies) have any links to any sites for used cars?

Thanks,
Joel
Old 03-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by jgalaxy
I've just started looking around the US (and Canada). How complex was it to bring the US based car in? Broker this yourself or through a dealer in Canada? How hard was it to get the recall statement letter from Porsche Canada?

Do you (or any of my new found buddies) have any links to any sites for used cars?

Thanks,
Joel
Joel PM sent...
Old 03-30-2010, 04:34 PM
jgalaxy
Track Day

Yeah, that's the car. I took the RS rear wing blade off at the IAA yard as well as removed the Shark Werks fire extinguisher and bracket. I left the original wing blade in the passenger seat.

Can't believe it ended up in Canada. Where is it listed for sale? I wonder what they paid for it at auction? Man that thing needs a lot of work. At first I thought it might be repairable and I even contemplated keeping it and trying to do something fun with it but the deeper we went the more badness we found. My guess is that whoever bought it from the auction took a closer look at it, realized what a disaster they had on their hands, and is now trying to dump it at what SEEMS to be a good price.

Somewhere at home I have the whole damage report, but, as stated above, its probably not even a complete estimation of what needs to be done. I have a few pics of the underside of the car too. Not good.
The car is listed on www.autotrader.ca, $37.6K. It's now in Quebec, just South East of Quebec City at a small dealer who brokers "lightly" damaged vehicles.

Joel

Quick Reply: GT3 for track duty?