Sponsored by:

oil gauge issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:08 PM
eab3@bellsouth.net
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil gauge issues

Anybody have any issues with this? Error light comes on, gauges goes to zero for a few seconds, then bounces back like nothing happened. I don't believe I had an oil issue, there are no leaks and level is fine. But it is un-nerving.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by eab3@bellsouth.net
Anybody have any issues with this? Error light comes on, gauges goes to zero for a few seconds, then bounces back like nothing happened. I don't believe I had an oil issue, there are no leaks and level is fine. But it is un-nerving.
Not clear from your post: Are you speaking of oil pressure gage and is the engine running?

Assuming you are, it is probably a sender issue that causes the gage to drop then bounce back and the light to flash. I notice my 03 Turbo's oil pressure gage will drop from say 3 bar down to under 2 bar then just a quckly recover. Does this with 6-speed transmssion in gear and engine running at a steady RPM and with oil pressure otherwise steady as well. It does this at no other time or oil pressure level. The oil warning light has never come on and I never allow the oil level to get down more than just a few bars off of the min. level mark before I add enough oil to bring level to within 1 or 2 bars of the max. level mark.

If there was a real oil pressure drop the engine would make it known to you in short order.

Still, I'd not experiment around. You're better off at the first sign of serious trouble - even if it turns out to be a false alarm through no fault of your's -- getting the car flat bedded to dealer -- assuming the car's under warranty -- and having the problem looked into. At the dealer an oil pressure gage test tool can be connected to engine and the real oil pressure characterized at various engine rpm levels. If all is found well the sensor, or oil pressure sender or even dash gage -- wherever the problem lies -- will get replaced.

If you prefer call the dealer's service manager come Monday and describe the symptoms/conditions and see what he/she has to say.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the same issue. Oil pressure sender. Cheap part to replace.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:35 PM
wapita
Advanced

Originally Posted by Serge944
I have the same issue. Oil pressure sender. Cheap part to replace.
i had the same issue. Replacing the sensor fixed the problem.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:44 AM
eab3@bellsouth.net
Instructor

Default Thanks all

My primary experience has been with air cooled 911's.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:32 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Same problem on mine....oil sending unit.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 PM
jberb55
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Very timely post! This happened twice to me today at the track. The center display would show a picture of the oil-can and the text read "failure indicator." Oil pressure gauge goes to zero, then goes back up to where it should be... RTFM says gauge problem, see Porsche dealer.

Those who have bought and replaced the oil pressure sender -- is this a DIY? Say on the level of replacing a DME relay?
Old 03-14-2010, 12:08 PM
eab3@bellsouth.net
Instructor

Default RTFM?

What is RTFM?

I spoke with a friend who told me that the oil pressure sending unit is on the right side rear, accessible from below. A 24mm or 27mm bent open is required.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:15 PM
jberb55
Instructor

I Read The Manual... In there somewhere is a table that decodes the messages that come up on the center dash display "computer." Thanks for the info (and original post) re: the oil pressure sending unit!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:22 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

What does the F in RTFM mean : ). Mike ps- EAB-did u paint your rims that way like the 6rs or bought the rs rims? It actually looks pretty good( I thought it would be too much red but not bad at all- u got more clearer pics?) Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 12:40 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eab3@bellsouth.net
What is RTFM?

I spoke with a friend who told me that the oil pressure sending unit is on the right side rear, accessible from below. A 24mm or 27mm bent open is required.
Does any one have a pic of what it looks like? Trying to find it on the car...
Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 08:18 PM
eab3@bellsouth.net
Instructor

Default 996FLT6 answer

When I acquired the car it had 19" Champion wheels that rubbed on highway dips. I search for a set of stock dimension 18" wheels. I found a set in the U.K. that a fellow had bought for his track tires. He had sold the car and made me a deal on the wheels. They are factory RS wheels. I assume they were only offered on European cars. In any event, I thought it would be an interesting complement. It made a BIG difference in the handling.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:54 PM
jberb55
Instructor

Talked to a service writer today, and he's blaming it on oil sloshing around. It is happening to me around Turn4 at Harris Hill Road. T4 is after the longest straight at the track... Straight, then a big bump prior-to or early in the braking area, then T4 is a hairpin right who's apex is at the top of a hill. Uphill entering the turn, downhill exit. Oil level is at the top of both the computer check and dipstick check.

Service Writer opined that I needed a GT3 RS oil seperator... He believes that since the error message is going away it is sloshing, and it isn't a gauge/sender issue. He then went on and on with a message I summarized that if I track my Porsche it isn't a good idea to bring it to the dealer service department to try and use the CPO. Good thing CPO coverage wasn't the main reason I bought the car...

I thought having the dry-sump engine eliminated any oil delivery issues? Is there a relevant difference between the GT3 and RS engines in this area?

Apologies to the OP if this post is going OT.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

WTF? The service write must be confused between a Carrera and a GT3.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^What he said. If service writer already mentioned the track bs stuff- I try another dealer. Mike

Quick Reply: oil gauge issues